Pattaya blogger and historian discusses Tahitian Queen during the Vietnam War.

Goat

6 hours ago, Goat said:

He also seems to think Royal Garden Plaza was around during the war, but that didnt open until 1993

I went to the Royal Garden in 1980. The Plaza did not exist then. It was a hotel with a couple of bars out front, one of which had a monkey swinging on a rope that used to grab at passing punters. The US navy used it as an administrative base when the fleet was in. Their MPs liaisoned with the Thai police in patrolling Pattaya and you could see them dragging the bad boys across the road and ultimately to the brig.

I do not think it was around during the war, but have no proof either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BigStar said:

When he was 10 years old? Dates, ages . . . they're just an ongoing problem, no? Fictional this and that. A bit of dementia?

Was in my mid twentys in 1980, and no, don't have any signs of dementia. 👌👌

• Thumbs Up 1

There are some pretty intelligent posters on here I just watched  "First They Killed My Father "       can any one recommend a concise book on SE Asia 20th Century History?  Thanks       Also any US folks ever use the US postal service m bag to ship books to Thailand?

Edited by charleskerins
correction

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Was in my mid twentys in 1980, and no, don't have any signs of dementia. 👌👌

Yes, but the nonsensical question was whether in 1980 you were on R&R from the war, VN war being under discussion. It was over in 73. I took 70 as a reasonable year. You said 20s. I could take 20. So for R&R during the war, you would have been 10. Mid twenties would put you at 15.

It was @Goatwho asked the question and got quite a few other things wrong. He may believe the VN war was still going on in 1980, to fit the narrative.

So the dementia question was directed at him, seriously. As for you, you seem doing well. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Yes, but the nonsensical question was whether in 1980 you were on R&R from the war, VN war being under discussion. It was over in 73. I took 70 as a reasonable year. You said 20s. I could take 20. So for R&R during the war, you would have been 10. Mid twenties would put you at 15.

It was @Goatwho asked the question and got quite a few other things wrong. He may believe the VN war was still going on in 1980, to fit the narrative.

So the dementia question was directed at him, seriously. As for you, you seem doing well. :)

Cheers for that!

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, sungod said:

It has a new roof, that's it. The walls are original with a fresh lick of paint after the fire.

I'll tell you what I regard as the only tragedy owing to the fire. (Thank god for such little damage otherwise, and no injuries.) The go-go stage wooden flooring had to be replaced. Now think how historic those old boards were, the thousands of girls that had danced and performed on them--including some not only hot but excellent dancers as well. (Believe it or not--over 40 years or so, ha ha). Now that was a loss. I wish they'd have salvaged at least some of those old boards and offered them for sale, would make for a unique souvenir.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Hats off to Dan he talks Pattaya up and is right about the direction of travel for the wider area so what if he riffs along and gets somethings wrong?

It would be lots better if he got everything right. The truth is better than the fiction. Fiction also annoys people who know better.

4 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Starting to see some young and healthy looking digital nomads who realise that it is a good cheap hub to work out from.

Young Russians? I agree with you about the "good cheap hub," but we had a wannabe digital nomad here who hated Pattaya and couldn't wait to get back to the workspaces, food, and bike riding in Chiang Mai. No reasoning with him. He's since disappeared. Seems he'd be enjoying chortling from Chiang Mai and continuing to bash Pattaya, as bashers often do from afar. But good; and good luck to him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It would be lots better if he got everything right. The truth is better than the fiction. Fiction also annoys people who know better.

Young Russians? I agree with you about the "good cheap hub," but we had a wannabe digital nomad here who hated Pattaya and couldn't wait to get back to the workspaces, food, and bike riding in Chiang Mai. No reasoning with him. He's since disappeared. Seems he'd be enjoying chortling from Chiang Mai and continuing to bash Pattaya, as bashers often do from afar. But good; and good luck to him. 

It's a shame particularly since they will be smoked out terribly up there. A lot of them are very woke and can't stand to see in your face prostitution but if Pattaya falls then so does Thailand.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, kidneyw said:

one of which had a monkey swinging on a rope that used to grab at passing punters.

I remember that monkey, but didnt know/recall it was out the front of Royal Garden.

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goat said:

For someone who has actually lived there for 15+ years it is incredible what he doesnt know, including even how to pronounce Pattaya.

That he make a vlog and spreads his <deleted> makes it bizaredly funny.

Add the safety glasses with the bodgy botox and it becomes hilarious to watch. 

It is entertaining IMO. Mr Bean like.

Yet you still introduce him as:

"Famous Thai vlogger and long term Pattaya resident"

:cheesy:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

No, that was a joke about the OP. Read it again, i clearly said in the OP it was over in 1973, but Dan was claiming 'all the soldiers and navy men' went there during the war.

Sorry it went over your head. Other people got it.

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

So you don't know of any older bar.

Still harping on eh.

I am happy for you to go along with Dans version of history, along with TQ entertaining the troops.

But i will choose to go with the reality.

In 1965, the first major hotel opened in Pattaya, the Nipa Lodge which is now the Basaya Beach Hotel and Resort. There are a number of bars that try to stake claim to being the oldest but most records seem to point to a select few that opened in the early 1960’s including Charlie’s Hideaway and Suzanne’s.

https://pattaya.guide/guides/history-guide/

image.png.e1cb26fdb3cb467cea974974fa44aa13.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Goat said:

No, that was a joke about the OP. Read it again, i clearly said in the OP it was over in 1973, but Dan was claiming 'all the soldiers and navy men' went there during the war.

Sorry it went over your head. Other people got it.

He didn't say only soldiers and navy men. And he was talking about during the war, not after. And then fell into a lot of anachronism. Meanwhile @roo860said nothing about being a soldier or navy man and referred to 1980 in his twenties. Other people simply ignored your nonsensical question, there was nothing to "get."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

He didn't say only soldiers and navy men. And he was talking about during the war, not after. And then fell into a lot of anachronism. Meanwhile @roo860said nothing about being a soldier or navy man and referred to 1980 in his twenties. Other people simply ignored your nonsensical question, there was nothing to "get."

Dont worry mate.

You still dont get it.

It is OK.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Goat said:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/choice-group-asia-acquires-thaivisa-media-group-53902.php

Took over in 2015, rebranded it ASEANNOW and has taken it from strength to strength.

8 years of constant improvements and inovation.

i didn't know. explains A LOT about this site. strength to strength ? ok start a thread on that subject and see what the results are. 

innovation ? not even close. not at all even. this site innovative ? you having a laugh now. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Goat said:

I am happy for you to go along with Dans version of history, along with TQ entertaining the troops.

As you know, I go along with TQ opening in 1978, long after the war, and have sneered at Dan's version of history. Now you're simply lying. Why all the desperation?

6 minutes ago, Goat said:

There are a number of bars that try to stake claim to being the oldest

Memory issue again. TQ rightfully claims to be the oldest bar in existence obviously. If you think Charlie's Hideaway is the oldest bar in Pattaya, then I'd like to go check it out. Where is it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stoner said:

i didn't know. explains A LOT about this site. strength to strength ? ok start a thread on that subject and see what the results are. 

innovation ? not even close. not at all even. this site innovative ? you having a laugh now. 

He is a digital media guru. 

Just ask him.

image.png.4b8ce98bf9fd79489ab58c56736038ad.png

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, BigStar said:

TQ rightfully claims to be the oldest bar in existence obviously. If you think Charlie's Hideaway is the oldest bar in Pattaya, then I'd like to go check it out. Where is it?

Me too. I tried Google and Google maps but it doesn't show up

• Haha 1