PEA Regulation question

MJCM

33 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And there is your problem. How do gain access to your house? 

Our house has direct access to a government road that does not yet have any PEA domestic supply.

This is what we had to do to get power to the house.

You can ready the full story in my topic here if you wish.

Phetnok Power Routing.png

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@Encid maybe some, er, lubrication, is required?

40m is not very far, so that "rule" does seem somewhat arbitrary, we must be pretty close to that "limit".

"Lubrication" is something that we are considering, however the absence of a public road to put PEA poles next to is not going to be solved quickly.

If it was 100K and we'd be guaranteed supply I would seriously consider it.

The plans for the road are public and apparently there is an easement, but the existing neighbours have not agreed (or in fact been asked) if a road can be built there (and to whose account?)

Too many variables with too many negative possible outcomes IMO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Encid said:

we only experienced noticeable voltage drops when our 4.5kW electric water heater was being used

Well that is how voltage drop comes about.

The more current one tries to drag out of a cable, the more voltage drop.

The "amount" is easily calculated and well known as are the "applied limits".

750 metre run for mains is quite simply crazy.

Not only the required cable size, but the fact you even entertained the idea of running a high current demand of 4.5kw.

• Like 1

@Encid it's definitely time to talk about "alternative solutions" with PEA, the current route across the fields is really unworkable.

Even for a 20A supply you are looking at 95mm2 aluminium cable, probably do-able but no real point if PEA won't entertain changing your meter. Also, is that route actually officially permitted (easements from the land owners)

It's pretty evident that PEA want you to pay for new HV poles and a transformer so that they don't have to. They will retain ownership after you paid for it all and will use "your" infrastructure when new users come on-line along the route.

Or retain your existing temporary supply and spend some $$$ on solar, just keep the expensive grid supply for backup.

What's your approximate daily consumption? (kWh)

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

What's your approximate daily consumption? (kWh)

Monthly consumption from October, November, and December averaged about 300 units, so 10kWh per day.

That is not using any AC which I expect will rise significantly by the air of this month as temperatures rise.

The PEA supply is a single phase 2 wire 30(100)A spinning disc meter supply.

The route we have for our cables is across family owned land, and they have given their written permission for us to do it.

The written permission was required by the PEA before they agreed to install the meter for us.

They knew where we were going to be building our house, but refrained from advising us of any further "constraints" or "regulations".

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's pretty evident that PEA want you to pay for new HV poles and a transformer so that they don't have to. They will retain ownership after you paid for it all and will use "your" infrastructure when new users come on-line along the route.

Yes I am sure too.

I know that one neighbour has already approached my family to try to obtain electric power from us for his farm just across the government road from us, and has probably approached the PEA too... so there is some demand for power in that vicinity... just not enough customers to make it viable for the PEA to install it by themselves.

11 hours ago, bluejets said:

Well that is how voltage drop comes about.

The more current one tries to drag out of a cable, the more voltage drop.

The "amount" is easily calculated and well known as are the "applied limits".

750 metre run for mains is quite simply crazy.

Not only the required cable size, but the fact you even entertained the idea of running a high current demand of 4.5kw.

I am not an electrician by trade nor am I familiar with "well known" calculations and limits... that is why I employed a builder who had a "supposedly qualified" electrician/engineer to recommend and specify a supply system before we even starting building nearly 2 years ago.

That is also what I posted about during by building project in the DIY forum, and this is the first time anyone has warned that it was "crazy".

What do you think would be the ramifications of continuing to draw PEA power from our single phase 2 wire 30(100)A system at 10kWh per day, and add an extra 1kWh per hour for every hour that we use air conditioning during the hot months?

I do not know the diameter of the supply cables, but I have asked the builder to provide them for me.

By pulling more current (and putting up with the resultant voltage drops) are there any other ramifications that I need to consider?

Is my wiring going to go into a meltdown?

Are there potentially disastrous consequences?

@bluejets Your experience and knowledge with "well known" calculations and limits would much preferably be shared in an advisory capacity, rather than calling things crazy.

1 hour ago, Encid said:

I do not know the diameter of the supply cables, but I have asked the builder to provide them for me.

By pulling more current (and putting up with the resultant voltage drops) are there any other ramifications that I need to consider?

Is my wiring going to go into a meltdown?

You can check yourself; the cable should be marked.

Constant reduced voltage can affect the life of appliances with induction motors, pumps, A/C, fridges/freezers (inverter types are rather more immune).

Nothing is going to melt.

Your load doesn't seem massive, if we assume 20A maximum than, as I noted earlier, you are looking at 95mm2 aluminium cable. That would be for a UK recommended volt drop of 5%

As with all things, rules were made to be broken!

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You can check yourself; the cable should be marked.

Constant reduced voltage can affect the life of appliances with induction motors, pumps, A/C, fridges/freezers (inverter types are rather more immune).

Nothing is going to melt.

Your load doesn't seem massive, if we assume 20A maximum than, as I noted earlier, you are looking at 95mm2 aluminium cable.

As with all things, rules were made to be broken!

I will check the cables visually next time I am up-country.

The only motors we have are the raw water pump (250W Mitsu), the filtered water pump (200W Mitsu), and the electric gate opener (presumed to be approx 700W/day).

All ACs and fridge/freezer are brand new inverter type.

The only heavy leccy load users are the water heater (4500W) and the coffee machine (supposedly 1500W/cup).

Do you think I am safe for the time being or do I need to rush out and buy a solar power system tomorrow?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Encid said:

I will check the cables visually next time I am up-country.

The only motors we have are the raw water pump (250W Mitsu), the filtered water pump (200W Mitsu), and the electric gate opener (presumed to be approx 700W/day).

All ACs and fridge/freezer are brand new inverter type.

The only heavy leccy load users are the water heater (4500W) and the coffee machine (supposedly 1500W/cup).

Do you think I am safe for the time being or do I need to rush out and buy a solar power system tomorrow?

You are likely fine for now but I would be checking that cable size.

On to the "other" issue.

In the light of the further information provided.

• Is there a building near the meter which could be used as the supply termination (put a breaker in there)? Once on your property PEA shouldn't really care how long your runs are.
  • PEA may allow you to sign a disclaimer that you won't complain about volt drop

• Would your over the road neighbour entertain splitting the cost? Any other owners who might be interested (the value of their land would increase)? If you can get 2 or 3 more potential users PEA may be able to do a deal!

Remember TiT, pretty well anything is possible!!

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Encid said:

There is no need to panic about this issue.

You have built a house with heaven knows what electrical machines (concrete mixers et. al.) running from the temporary supply.

The rated "up country" voltage is 220V but this may drop to <180V under load conditions (dependant on your cable size).

This voltage drop is likely only going to happen when you have a shower or make a cup of coffee.

This could be a problem if the compressor in your air conditioner wants to start at the same time and likewise the 'fridge.

We ran on a 1km "extension lead" from our nearest post and temporary meter with cable 25mm².

We had no problems of equipment failure for that year before I did my solar installation.

Our voltage generally dipped to ≈180V first thing in the morning when the village was waking up.

Regarding the 40m rule. My meter is about 50 metres from my property and the PEA engineer, who was present at the time, didn't bat an eyelid.

I don't think they are too bothered as long as the meter reader doesn't need to walk too far from the meter to the house post box to post the bill.

• Like 2