Building a new house in Isaan

Encid

On 3/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, Encid said:

That is also a good idea. Any recommendations for what types of plants would make a good hedge?

There is a type of grass which grows tall, deep and wide. It is well know to rural Thais as a soil erosion barrier.

I am living in my own design house here in Isaan for the past eight years. The house was started about ten years ago and is ten by eight metres.

Construction is traditional pillars with double walls between. The double walls are clay bricks with holes and a 50mm cavity filled with polystyrene. 

My builder thought it odd to have cavity walls saying  "Thailand doesn't get cold like Europe". I had my doubts about him from then on...

Air con is rarely used and it's always cooler inside than out during the day. Down side is that the house acts like a storage heater which releases it's heat slowly during the night. Some times of the year that's not such a bad thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Encid said:

That is what our builder said too.

I think I will save the money instead.

Thanks.

Your fill soil has a minimum of 30% trapped air in it. The compactor helps reduce that rain and time do the same job. If you have time (years) then you will get enough compaction so you don’t need to go down to the original land level for foundations. You will need a soil bearing test for that.

AA39D27B-6C9E-441B-B1A4-21147462980E.thumb.jpeg.5adf83d4b8ee81fa89ad0b9df523a05c.jpeg

If you are building soon after filling then you will need to get down to the non fill level.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you are building soon after filling then you will need to get down to the non fill level.

Yes, absolutely right. Down past the infill plus one metre or more. The subsoil needs to support lots of tonnes.

Built on old paddy land, my pillar slabs are 2.5m down and square 2m per side. The filled level was 1m but that settled to ¾m after one year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Yes, absolutely right. Down past the infill plus one metre or more. The subsoil needs to support lots of tonnes.

Built on old paddy land, my pillar slabs are 2.5m down and square 2m per side. The filled level was 1m but that settled to ¾m after one year.

That will depend on the structure of the soil, so is far from universal. If you get a professional soil bearing test you will know the depth required. In our case the fill had compacted so we didn’t even need to go down to the original field level. 

The worst thing you can do is go down further than you intend then put soil down to bring it back to the correct level. You can use aggregate/sand and compact that.

18 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your fill soil has a minimum of 30% trapped air in it. The compactor helps reduce that rain and time do the same job. If you have time (years) then you will get enough compaction so you don’t need to go down to the original land level for foundations. You will need a soil bearing test for that.

Our builder is planning to use piles for the foundations.

Not the drill, reinforce, and fill type, but hammer-driven piles.

He expects that they will go down 5-6 metres (depending on the "hardness" of the land, so well past the non fill level.

He has an acquaintance who performs soil bearing tests.

Our builder contacted us today with his proposal for power poles and cable from the PEA domestic supply pole we identified earlier:

1839680253_Dooksproposedelectriccableroute_1.jpg.6b9d62ef4c4cdb05ef641205b94b5e9e.jpg

232429896_Dooksproposedelectriccableroute_2.jpg.3450f47b81725108cd20c2f1f882607f.jpg

His preliminary estimate for the work (all inclusive) was 90,000 baht.

We asked about the pole spacing and he replied about 50m.

This will not work for us as we want to add Internet fiber optic cables to the route in the future and they will not span 50m without additional support.

We also did not like the way the route ran straight over the rice fields, as this will impact future planting and harvesting - particularly the pole in the middle of the large rice field.

We also do not want to see ugly overhead cables from the house... better to run them underground in conduit once they reach our construction site.

So I marked up a Google Maps image of an alternative route and pole spacing and asked him to revise and resubmit his proposal.

This is what I sent him:

1509222712_PhetnokPowerRouting.png.b54e1ad1f7146a6330152c14a07ad342.png

• Like 1

The preliminary project schedule is as follows:

1. Complete land fill – March/April 2022.

2. Construct perimeter wall 3m high on 2 sides and install sliding gate - April 2022.

3. Establish PEA meter 30 (100) AMP required and run cables and poles @ 30m centres across land to building site at edge of pond, then cables to be run underground in black/red HDPE conduit - April 2022.

4. Plant out sloping sections to prevent erosion - April 2022.

5. Drill well and install filtration tanks and structure to support PV solar panels to power submersible pump - May 2022.

6. Drive piles and build Guest House - October 2022.

7. Obtain Tabien Baan - November 2022.

8. Begin construction of Main House - January 2023.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Encid said:

This will not work for us as we want to add Internet fiber optic cables to the route in the future and they will not span 50m without additional support.

We also did not like the way the route ran straight over the rice fields, as this will impact future planting and harvesting - particularly the pole in the middle of the large rice field.

We also do not want to see ugly overhead cables from the house... better to run them underground in conduit once they reach our construction site.

50 metres is way too much. 25 is a better maximum spacing. Off road mine are about 20.

I take it those paddy fields are not yours?

What will you do if the owners change to sugar cane and remove the bunds?

12 minutes ago, Encid said:

They will, but not in a normal (sensible) way. :whistling:

What they did in our (old) village) was that they used tie wraps to connect it to the electric cable. Will post a picture when I go to the old village.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Encid said:

Drill well and install filtration tanks and structure to support PV solar panels to power submersible pump - May 2022.

Re: Drill Well. May I suggest to bring that forward to April??

Reason being May you can have a chance that the rains already are coming down hard so better use April (right after Songkran) so you can catch the water table at it's lowest so to speak!

Edited by MJCM

6 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I take it those paddy fields are not yours?

What will you do if the owners change to sugar cane and remove the bunds?

As I posted earlier, all of the farm land that the poles cross belongs to the family, and they have given their consent.

Written consent by the owners is required by the PEA if the land chanote next to their pole where the meter is to be installed is not yours.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

May I suggest to bring that forward to April??

Reason being May you can have a chance that the rains already are coming down hard so better use April (right after Songkran) so you can catch the water table at it's lowest so to speak!

Good idea!

We may proceed with the well drilling then, but I think we will wait for some soil settlement before I start putting down concrete pads for water tanks and filters.

Schedule-wise we should have PEA power by then so can power the submersible pump, and the solar can wait until later.

Just now, Encid said:

we will wait for some soil settlement before I start putting down concrete pads for water tanks and filters.

What we did was we

1- Raised the soil

2- had workers dig down to the old soil

3- raised the PUMP and the Solar Panels to be way above (flooding risk) etc and no issues

(Pump pad is mostly filled with bricks and concrete)

4- Water Tanks ( we have a separate BIG SHED for those) also went down to the OLD Soil and NO Issues 2 years in

pump.JPG.acaa6b1a4d9ad8b326686f7b6d47dc66.JPG

This is our Water Storage Shed

shed.JPG.a61c0a3862069446685107c7ed835678.JPG

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Encid said:

Our builder contacted us today with his proposal for power poles and cable from the PEA domestic supply pole we identified earlier:

1839680253_Dooksproposedelectriccableroute_1.jpg.6b9d62ef4c4cdb05ef641205b94b5e9e.jpg

232429896_Dooksproposedelectriccableroute_2.jpg.3450f47b81725108cd20c2f1f882607f.jpg

His preliminary estimate for the work (all inclusive) was 90,000 baht.

So I marked up a Google Maps image of an alternative route and pole spacing and asked him to revise and resubmit his proposal.

This is what I sent him:

1509222712_PhetnokPowerRouting.png.b54e1ad1f7146a6330152c14a07ad342.png

I am seeing a "major" road (just) to the right of your property. Can't the draw power from there???

Edit: Or is that something Google Maps put in ????

Edited by MJCM

18 hours ago, MJCM said:

I am seeing a "major" road (just) to the right of your property. Can't the draw power from there???

Edit: Or is that something Google Maps put in ????

That is a Google Maps "feature"!

The road is minor, a poorly laid single lane concrete government road about 3m wide.

You cannot travel much faster than 30 km/hr on it due to the roughness and you have to move your left wheels to the verge if another vehicle approaches from the opposite direction..

The nearest PEA pole is 800m to the north and is only single phase.

The road to the west of us (left) is a more major 2-lane concrete government road with both HV and domestic PEA power supply lines.

You can easily travel at 60 km/hr or faster on it, although you need to be careful because the local farmers travel on it in a variety of slow moving vehicles.

Funny thing about Google Maps... many times it identifies private roads (gated off) as public roads... can be frustrating at times!

• Like 1

Our builder had his lads back measuring on the farm again this morning and has come back with a revised quote... 9 poles @ 30m centres (total run is now across the tops of the bund walls not through the rice fields)... 100,000 baht.

We have approved his quotation and paid a 50% deposit.

The work will start tomorrow and be complete in 5-7 days.

275852120_372742048193939_7771551087717819102_n.thumb.jpg.b03e180c47f90eda187433880dc56318.jpg

71256948_275061395_516020573468047_9111669509383121750_n(1).thumb.jpg.72a14fbdef0c3dceac642f754abb80c0.jpg

277076965_1057460118317679_2146662426612894971_n.thumb.jpg.9750f37398df8563289395af7f7c9028.jpg

• Like 1

Work also started today on phase 2 of our land fill.

275719808_1452876768477713_4834523680651867928_n.jpg.534309963cac78795522b2e2f6f17c57.jpg

It's amazing to see how quickly the countryside becomes green after a bit of rain.

With rain and thunderstorms forecast for the next 6 days or so, it will probably start to get a bit muddy out there.

I hope that the earth moving equipment is big enough and strong enough to pull out one of those trucks if it gets bogged.

Capture.JPG.4664e004ba7abd73cd37e5253703d6f6.JPG

11 minutes ago, Encid said:

Our builder had his lads back measuring on the farm again this morning and has come back with a revised quote... 9 poles @ 30m centres (total run is now across the tops of the bund walls not through the rice fields)... 100,000 baht.

We have approved his quotation and paid a 50% deposit.

The work will start tomorrow and be complete in 5-7 days.

275852120_372742048193939_7771551087717819102_n.thumb.jpg.b03e180c47f90eda187433880dc56318.jpg

71256948_275061395_516020573468047_9111669509383121750_n(1).thumb.jpg.72a14fbdef0c3dceac642f754abb80c0.jpg

277076965_1057460118317679_2146662426612894971_n.thumb.jpg.9750f37398df8563289395af7f7c9028.jpg

If one of them is vertical can you send a photo.

• Haha 1

It's probably about time I shared some of the building plans with you guys, and see if you have any suggestions for improvement before we commit to building.

Firstly, the guest house.

It will be pile supported structure based on a 5m x 4m column and beam design and walls made of Q-CON AAC blocks near the edge of the property on the east side.

It will have a lockable room with a suspended ceiling and insulation in which we intend to stay during the main house construction period.

This room will also contain the power breaker box for the structure.

It will also have a lockable WC (also with a suspended ceiling) containing a shower, toilet, and washing basin. An electric hot water system under the basin will provide hot water for both the shower and the basin (essential for shaving IMO).

The open area will have a sink, gas hot plates, and a refrigerator, drinking water machine (hot and cold), and some casual outdoor style seating and dining table. Maybe an ice-maker too?

Between the guest house and the perimeter wall will be the septic system.

The roof will be a simple flat metal sheet structure supported by simple light weight prefabricated beams.

In the future it is intended to use this roof to support PV solar cells which will power the submersible pump in the well (yet to be drilled).

As I said previously we intend to stay here during the main house construction period, until the house is finished and we move in.

After that it will revert to a rest area for the family who tend to the farm.

The lockable room will be used to store small farming and fishing equipment, and maybe even used as a rice storage area.

With the availability of well water the FIL will not be limited to just one rice crop per year... and perhaps different crops might be tried? 

My preliminary plans which I will give to the builder are below.

Any thoughts/suggestions/constructive criticism etc?

Capture_1.JPG.aa30b12f050f59d4b4021e07fd3b49c5.JPG

Capture_2.JPG.ba5f6ad29e986360143e0a0d94b550ac.JPG

Capture_3.JPG.1ab3dde4672cd2b222b568a67e6955ab.JPG

Capture_4.JPG.5668d50a1fc8fb62972c1d36c78309ea.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Encid said:

It's probably about time I shared some of the building plans with you guys, and see if you have any suggestions for improvement before we commit to building.

Firstly, the guest house.

It will be pile supported structure based on a 5m x 4m column and beam design and walls made of Q-CON AAC blocks near the edge of the property on the east side.

It will have a lockable room with a suspended ceiling and insulation in which we intend to stay during the main house construction period.

This room will also contain the power breaker box for the structure.

It will also have a lockable WC (also with a suspended ceiling) containing a shower, toilet, and washing basin. An electric hot water system under the basin will provide hot water for both the shower and the basin (essential for shaving IMO).

The open area will have a sink, gas hot plates, and a refrigerator, drinking water machine (hot and cold), and some casual outdoor style seating and dining table. Maybe an ice-maker too?

Between the guest house and the perimeter wall will be the septic system.

The roof will be a simple flat metal sheet structure supported by simple light weight prefabricated beams.

In the future it is intended to use this roof to support PV solar cells which will power the submersible pump in the well (yet to be drilled).

As I said previously we intend to stay here during the main house construction period, until the house is finished and we move in.

After that it will revert to a rest area for the family who tend to the farm.

The lockable room will be used to store small farming and fishing equipment, and maybe even used as a rice storage area.

With the availability of well water the FIL will not be limited to just one rice crop per year... and perhaps different crops might be tried? 

My preliminary plans which I will give to the builder are below.

Any thoughts/suggestions/constructive criticism etc?

Capture_1.JPG.aa30b12f050f59d4b4021e07fd3b49c5.JPG

Capture_2.JPG.ba5f6ad29e986360143e0a0d94b550ac.JPG

Capture_3.JPG.1ab3dde4672cd2b222b568a67e6955ab.JPG

Capture_4.JPG.5668d50a1fc8fb62972c1d36c78309ea.JPG

Brilliant......looks the dogs......and a good chance I might steal the plans.....555

Wife is pestering me to build five resort rooms on our plot with a restaurant and small bar/shop.......if she thinks I am going to chip in she has another think coming.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Flat roof may well start leaking after a short time. I would put a 17º north/south slope on it, strengthen it and use it for solar panels.

Good idea!

I was planning to use the roof later to support solar panels (see earlier post) but if the roof is already sloping at the correct angle then this would minimize the PV panel supports.

It would also create a large volume between the roof top and the suspended ceiling above the bedroom/storage room, so insulation would be easy to do.

I think that I'll change the roof outline to be square instead of having that notch in it... the prefabricated beams can handle the minimal extra load.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 3:56 PM, Encid said:

As I posted earlier, all of the farm land that the poles cross belongs to the family, and they have given their consent.

Written consent by the owners is required by the PEA if the land chanote next to their pole where the meter is to be installed is not yours.

My concerns are about the crops rather than the legality of crossing you neighbours land. If there is a change to sugar cane then the harvester machine which is a monster, will need some headroom. Cables need to have ground clearance of 5m. It is the drivers responsibility to take care but accidents can happen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Encid said:

Good idea!

I was planning to use the roof later to support solar panels (see earlier post) but if the roof is already sloping at the correct angle then this would minimize the PV panel supports.

It would also create a large volume between the roof top and the suspended ceiling above the bedroom/storage room, so insulation would be easy to do.

I think that I'll change the roof outline to be square instead of having that notch in it... the prefabricated beams can handle the minimal extra load.

Plan for about 40kg/ m². The're <deleted> heavy

Edited by Muhendis
  • Like 1