Gold shops and ID

tok

33 minutes ago, tok said:

When buying bullion in CM, do all shops now require ID ? I've tried one so far which did and wonder if its a government rule these days ?

Are you paying cash or using some other payment method?  If not cash I would want ID.

Bought and sold many baht bullion at a gold shop on Wararot Markets (China Town) in Chiang Mai and never needed ID buying or selling. Mostly cash but some times used ATM card, never credit card.

Go to gold shop in Big C complex and they wanted everything and commission was more.

Edited by Dazinoz
Text added.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Not definitely, depends on shop you go.

I meant I could definitely see why it would be asked forwhe n selling since I've seen on the news people getting caught selling very passable fake gold mixed with real that was uncovered only when the gold was about to be melted down. But ID for buying due to money laundering regs as the user stated above does make sense as well. I personally have never been asked for ID when buying or selling in the 15 years I've been here.

34 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

I meant I could definitely see why it would be asked forwhe n selling since I've seen on the news people getting caught selling very passable fake gold mixed with real that was uncovered only when the gold was about to be melted down. But ID for buying due to money laundering regs as the user stated above does make sense as well. I personally have never been asked for ID when buying or selling in the 15 years I've been here.

I goto one gold shop here in Chiang Mai. I one time bought 22 baht bullion at one time. Nothing required except the cash. Biggest sale back was a 20 baht bar. All they did was weigh. But I guess they got to know me. 

took a 1 baht bar to sell in gold shop in Big C complex. ID, weighed, tried to melt, the works. 

9 minutes ago, nana kid said:

probably less

Ok, sorry don't know where to suggest. Could if pure Thai gold. And I was wrong in 24 carot as Thai gold is 96.5% pure or around 23 carot.

If Thai gold and you in Chaing Mai  I can give you name of gold shop in China then I have used a long time.