Have you ever been tricked by budget airlines charging for luggage ?

jippytum

mods please redirect if necessary.

I booked a flight with Vietjet air Chaing Mai To Bangkok .I usually fly Thai smile sadly now defunct and the Thia airlines departure time for my journey did not meet my requirements.

The ticket price was a reasonable 2,107.07 including extra baggage and seat selection.I was careful not to include any other extras and declined insurance cover.

The payment page showed the correct premium of 2107.07 a OTP was accepted and i paid by visa . An SMS message from the bank advised 2206.07 had been debited. Immediately after i received a message from MSIG thanking me for taking out their insurance at 99 baht. Now i know its only a small amount but i was careful not to include insurance and the flight confirmation  from Vietjet Air shows premium for MSIG insurance as 00.0 baht and a total amount due 2107.07 .How come i was overcharged for insurance .?

I have contacted Vietjet air customer care by email without response and today contacted the insurance company.

Edited by jippytum
addition
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

46 minutes ago, jippytum said:

usually fly Thai smile sadly now defunct and the Thia airlines departure time for my journey did not meet my requirements.

And Thai Air hasn't taken over the flights with same time?

• Like 1

I had exactly the same thing with Vietjet for a flight to Vietnam. I think it ended up being 200 THB for the insurance, and as far as I recall, it didn't even cover me because it was only for Thai citizens. I did go back through the booking process to see where it happened, and they added the insurance charge back on the final page, where you put your card details, even though you already removed it 2 pages previously. 

I also got stung recently with Thai Lion Air. I booked a promo fare that included a 15 kg free checked bag and an extra legroom seat. Once the paperwork came through, it just said promo fare and not what was included.

At check-in, the extra legroom seat was there, but not the bag. TLA claimed they had no record of any such promo, and the extra fee only included the seat fee. I would never have booked that because I'm a short arse, so I don't need extra legroom. I ended up paying for an additional 10 kg of luggage. When they sent the receipt through it said 15 kg (promo) + 10 kg (paid). I tried to argue about it, but they insisted baggage fees were non-refundable.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jippytum said:

Immediately after i received a message from MSIG thanking me for taking out their insurance at 99 baht. Now i know its only a small amount but i was careful not to include insurance and the flight confirmation  from Vietjet Air shows premium for MSIG insurance as 00.0 baht and a total amount due 2107.07 .How come i was overcharged for insurance .?

What's insurance got to do with being "tricked" by luggage charges?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, jippytum said:

I have contacted Vietjet air customer care by email without response and today contacted the insurance company.

Why are you slagging off the airline and insurance company (that was not involved in your booking arrangements) in the media while only giving them a few hours to investigate your complaint and condemning them for "not responding" to your email? Perhaps they may be very happy to correct the error...if they made one...if you gave them a reasonable chance to do so?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:
22 hours ago, jippytum said:

usually fly Thai smile sadly now defunct and the Thia airlines departure time for my journey did not meet my requirements.

And Thai Air hasn't taken over the flights with same time?

Correct. Or at least there are several flights a day (I tried to check the exact number with a pretend booking and got a blank screen. Well done, THAI. But the airport website says five). The OP seems to be easily confused. Hence his post I suppose. Even the title has nothing to do with his gripe, which is about a charge for insurance and not luggage.

19 minutes ago, CMBob said:
23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

....Purchased tickets for Wife and I - one way - Baggage 20kgs each.......Wife and I had 60 kgs (between us) 

Can't see the issue.....you paid for 20kg per ticket and you were 20kg over.  End of story.  You think because you bought 4 tickets on the same credit card that you could get away with 3 people having no checked-in luggage and one person 80kg?

Pooling luggage  - its something we've done numerous times on airlines.

2 of us had 60 kgs / 2 of us had 20 kgs - we were checking in together... (same family / same passenger surnames / same purchaser / same credit card / but two separate tickets).

.... You imply we were 'trying to game the system'... we had 80 kgs between 4 travellers and had paid extra for 20 kgs luggage each.

In this case most certainly the check-in staff were being incredibly difficult...   I've done the same since on British Airways and Swiss Air (UK to Europe) without any issue whatsoever - Pooling luggage is a very normal thing across airlines - this 'budget Airline' (EasyJet) were ripping us off.

The mistake I made was naivety in answering honestly - If I'd have just said each of the 4 bags belonged to each individual, there would have been no issue. 

After the initial 'cannot' pool - I said, OK, that 'bag is my fathers'...  the check-in staff then told me she cannot accept the bag as its now a security risk..  

Most normal people would recognise this as wildly unfair behavior of the airline. But, it does strike me as strange how sometimes people such as yourself will side with what is quite clearly morally questionable business practices of a larger corporation that clearly contravene normal decency.

Its the same as the budget Airlines such as Ryan Air charging passengers extortionate amounts for printing of boarding pass - News recently (elderly couple charged £110 to print their boarding passes).

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66500479

These companies are morally bankrupt - something is wrong with the world when ombudsman fail to protect the public from such Machiavellian business practices which are widely considered immoral and unethical. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jippytum said:

Since posting the topic the insurance company have agreed to refund the overpaid amount by refund to my credit card within 40 working days. 

The title still says luggage, are you not going to edit it?

On 12/1/2023 at 2:34 PM, jippytum said:

mods please redirect if necessary.

I booked a flight with Vietjet air Chaing Mai To Bangkok .I usually fly Thai smile sadly now defunct and the Thia airlines departure time for my journey did not meet my requirements.

The ticket price was a reasonable 2,107.07 including extra baggage and seat selection.I was careful not to include any other extras and declined insurance cover.

The payment page showed the correct premium of 2107.07 a OTP was accepted and i paid by visa . An SMS message from the bank advised 2206.07 had been debited. Immediately after i received a message from MSIG thanking me for taking out their insurance at 99 baht. Now i know its only a small amount but i was careful not to include insurance and the flight confirmation  from Vietjet Air shows premium for MSIG insurance as 00.0 baht and a total amount due 2107.07 .How come i was overcharged for insurance .?

Did you book a return journey and was the insurance for that return sector ?

On 12/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, richard_smith237 said:

They're all at it - Deliberately misleading booking pages... add ons automatically added and you have to 'uncheck' boxes.

Very often, if you are taking baggage the flight is as expensive as a normal carrier (often more).

I see budget airlines only useful of flying without checked bagged and booking months in advance for a cheap fare.

Easyjet is only ok if you are flying without baggage. Even a second small  carry on is payable now. My last flight to see family , British airways was cheaper than easyjet , and much better “ human” flight times. ( easyjet often flying very early morning or late night).  Also ,  their prices have risen a lot in the last two years. I won’t use easyjet unless no other option. 
ive often used Air Asia in the past and never had a problem. In Thailand I would also use Bangkok Airlines. Never Thai. 

12 minutes ago, geisha said:

Easyjet is only ok if you are flying without baggage. Even a second small  carry on is payable now. My last flight to see family , British airways was cheaper than easyjet , and much better “ human” flight times. (easyjet often flying very early morning or late night).  Also ,  their prices have risen a lot in the last two years. I won’t use easyjet unless no other option. 
ive often used Air Asia in the past and never had a problem. In Thailand I would also use Bangkok Airlines. Never Thai. 

On a UK Christmas visit this year, we're following up again with another Winter France trip... 

I checked EasyJet prices along with loads of other airlines looking for the best options..

... EasyJet were more expensive than them all... 

... they wanted somewhere in the region of £850 for 3 of us (and 80 kgs baggage)....   BA were half that....

EasyJet perhaps have their niche for those travelling without baggage who want to get up at 4am or arrive at 10pm etc...

The problem with the budget Airlines in Thailand is that they are so frequently delayed. 

Last trip I took (last month), I was meeting a load of ppl in Phuket - most took Budget Airlines, many of them were delayed going and on return.

My last min arrangements meant I could only fly Bangkok Airways... so probably spent double on flights.

Its swings and roundabouts - at least the check-in staff in Asia are human. The check-in staff of budget Airlines in the UK seem like utter jobsworths who exercise every inch of power to make life difficult for you (yes I'm bias and have a chip on my shoulder about these characters).

Edited by richard_smith237

If you are on a short trip in Asia and travelling to say, Vietnam or Cambodia, on a budget carrier such as Air Asia or Vietjet, you are better off packing 7Kgs because outside laundries to get your clothes cleaned are way cheaper than the add-ons charged by the airlines for luggage.

The insurance add-on is nonsense. I am willing to pay for seat selection to sit where I want to be.

Its time that the Thai government stepped in and sorted this out.  Its not perfect in the UK yet but some regulation has been introduced and things are better.

One of the UK's budget airlines, I think it was Jet 2 used to charge extra for checking in!  Several methods were on their website, including online check in but all of them carried a charge. Clearly a rip off additional charge - there was no option to not check in and clearly can't be.

The airlines claim that the 'add on's' are about giving customers choice - its quite clear that in a lot of cases, its more about allowing them to advertise a cheap price - a cheap price that is not in fact, realistic.

A similar thing still goes on in the UK regarding luggage on long haul flights.  Many of the so called cheaper prices that are seen on price comparison sites do not include luggage - not even a carry on bag. There may be one or two people that don't carry luggage on a flight from the UK to Thailand but the vast majority do.  Add your luggage and the price goes up by £100-£150.  Worse still, the poor folks that didn't spot that luggage was not included and have to pay megabucks when they check in for their flight. Inexperienced flyers might not notice this - purely through expectation.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 10:49 AM, richard_smith237 said:

EasyJet perhaps have their niche for those travelling without baggage who want to get up at 4am or arrive at 10pm etc...

Don't foget the airports that many budget carriers use which can be many miles away from the main airport for the area.

Edited by MangoKorat

39 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

A similar thing still goes on in the UK regarding luggage on long haul flights.  Many of the so called cheaper prices that are seen on price comparison sites do not include luggage - not even a carry on bag.

I used to fly with KLM relatively frequently. Their long-haul economy tickets don't include a checked bag anymore, and the ticket prices have increased. They weren't usually the cheapest option, but they were reasonably good value. Now, adding a bag makes them one of the most expensive options, and they've got ultra-cramped aircraft by cramming extra seats in. I guess most people don't find out how bad they are until they take the flight, but they would be one of my last choices now. 

• Thumbs Up 1