Have you ever been tricked by budget airlines charging for luggage ?

jippytum

6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I used to fly with KLM relatively frequently. Their long-haul economy tickets don't include a checked bag anymore, and the ticket prices have increased. They weren't usually the cheapest option, but they were reasonably good value. Now, adding a bag makes them one of the most expensive options, and they've got ultra-cramped aircraft by cramming extra seats in. I guess most people don't find out how bad they are until they take the flight, but they would be one of my last choices now. 

Yes, I was aware that KLM now do that....... KLM Light or something?

As for cramming in more seats, I think a few have done that recently. My last Qatar flight in September seemed to be much 'tighter' than the one before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I used to fly with KLM relatively frequently. Their long-haul economy tickets don't include a checked bag anymore, and the ticket prices have increased. They weren't usually the cheapest option, but they were reasonably good value. Now, adding a bag makes them one of the most expensive options, and they've got ultra-cramped aircraft by cramming extra seats in. I guess most people don't find out how bad they are until they take the flight, but they would be one of my last choices now. 

Finn Air do the same...    a couple of years ago I saw a great Business Class deal (worth it for 3 of us when I'd usually only want to pay Eco)....   But, it was without baggage... prices with baggage were much higher, and then the baggage was only 23 kg per ticket...  It was just about worth it at the time (I think it ended up being about 100,000 baht for 3 of us one way - its now more than that for 1 one way ticket).

Finn air went though a brief period of offering very favourable rates, then their prices sky rocketed... perhaps because their flight-routes had to change (and avoid Russia & Ukraine) and the fuel costs are much higher. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Finn Air do the same...    a couple of years ago I saw a great Business Class deal (worth it for 3 of us when I'd usually only want to pay Eco)....   But, it was without baggage... prices with baggage were much higher, and then the baggage was only 23 kg per ticket...  It was just about worth it at the time (I think it ended up being about 100,000 baht for 3 of us one way - its now more than that for 1 one way ticket).

Finn air went though a brief period of offering very favourable rates, then their prices sky rocketed... perhaps because their flight-routes had to change (and avoid Russia & Ukraine) and the fuel costs are much higher.

This unpackaging of ancillaries is good for frequent flyers who get luggage, lounge etc as a perk of their status so can buy these cheap tickets but not lose out on the features they require.  I've done it a couple of times with Finnair "Light" tickets but as you say prices have gone up, although I see signs of Finnair returning to almost pre-covid level on some routes/dates.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if this is helpful but for many years I have used a fisherman's jacket i.e. one with loads of pockets that I fill with camera and loads of other items. Roll up t-shirts and socks in there. I look like the Michelin man. My carry-on is always underweight and I sometimes have a small bag for my passport and wallet. 

I saw that Amazon has a full length jacket for airplane passengers that has even more pockets. 

This might not work in the future when they weigh passengers. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, treetops said:

This unpackaging of ancillaries is good for frequent flyers who get luggage, lounge etc as a perk of their status so can buy these cheap tickets but not lose out on the features they require.  I've done it a couple of times with Finnair "Light" tickets but as you say prices have gone up, although I see signs of Finnair returning to almost pre-covid level on some routes/dates.

Hadn't thought of that. I get 15kg extra - are you saying that on a flight advertised with no bags, I would get 15kg?

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Not sure if this is helpful but for many years I have used a fisherman's jacket i.e. one with loads of pockets that I fill with camera and loads of other items. Roll up t-shirts and socks in there. I look like the Michelin man. My carry-on is always underweight and I sometimes have a small bag for my passport and wallet. 

I saw that Amazon has a full length jacket for airplane passengers that has even more pockets. 

This might not work in the future when they weigh passengers. 

Or you could just 'layer up' with 5 pairs of under-crackers,  and socks, 2 or 3 pairs of trousers, 5 shirts...     

...But really, isn't that a lof of hassle just to avoid baggage ???....   if going to those lengths I'd be more inclined to just buy some clothes at my destination... 

9 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Hadn't thought of that. I get 15kg extra - are you saying that on a flight advertised with no bags, I would get 15kg?

Interesting point... If you have 'tier status' with an airline which gives you an additional 15 kgs baggage allowance... could you purchase a 'Light ticket' that has no baggage allowance and use your 15 kgs ???

... There's nothing on the internet about this, I'm sure its cropped up... 

OR... as the wording suggests... is the baggage allowance with 'frequent flyer tier status - silver, gold etc'  just 'extra baggage'... i.e. extra baggage on existing baggage and as the ticket has no baggage allownace there is nothing on which to add on the extra ????

I'm sure this will be different for different airlines...  But its surely an issue we're going to read about in the future at some point.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting point... If you have 'tier status' with an airline which gives you an additional 15 kgs baggage allowance... could you purchase a 'Light ticket' that has no baggage allowance and use your 15 kgs ???

... There's nothing on the internet about this, I'm sure its cropped up... 

OR... as the wording suggests... is the baggage allowance with 'frequent flyer tier status - silver, gold etc'  just 'extra baggage'... i.e. extra baggage on existing baggage and as the ticket has no baggage allownace there is nothing on which to add on the extra ????

I'm sure this will be different for different airlines...  But its surely an issue we're going to read about in the future at some point.

British Airways don't allow extra according to the oneworld information page, but they are the only exclusion.

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

Edited by treetops

7 hours ago, treetops said:

British Airways don't allow extra according to the oneworld information page, but they are the only exclusion.

My last flight in September was a mix of Qatar and BA. I'm silver with Qatar but have no status with BA. As I planned to take quite a lot of stuff with me I called Qatar who confirmed that I would be allowed my additional 15kg's and all other benefits on all 4 legs.

However, Qatar were operating all legs even though the MAN-DOH & DOH-MAN legs were on BA numbered flights.  I think Qatar will be operating all BA's Bangkok bookings for the near future.

9 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Now, adding a bag makes them one of the most expensive options, and they've got ultra-cramped aircraft by cramming extra seats in.

Shame really, I used to quite enjoy the KLM flights.  When I used them they were running 747's from AMS to BKK.  A 1 hour flight from Manchester and it was then 10 hours to BKK so it felt like a direct flight but 2 hours shorter that the actual direct flights at the time.  That was over 20 years ago though and shortly after, they 'priced themselves out of the market' - I have only ever found one flight with them since at 'the right price' and that was around 15 years ago.

I value my status - not having to queue with 300 other passengers and use of the lounges is something I enjoy.  However, if Etihad & Qatar keep up their current crazy prices - I might start looking elsewhere. Saudia in January are over £200 cheaper than Qatar - not quite as fast but not crazy times and with prices the way they are, its tempting (Etihad's economy prices are starting to approach those of business class).

The airlines claim its supply and demand but my DOH-BKK and BKK-DOH legs in September were only around 25 to 30% full (MAN-DOH & DOH-MAN rammed). The post Covid demand must surely be over? If they want to run planes at 25% capacity, up to them.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

On this subject, Help please ! 

There are 5 family members flying Bkk - Surat thani with Air Asia, our allowance is 7k each hand luggage, which I know is easily used up in a small rucksack. 

What is the extra charge per Kilo at the airport Vs pre buying the exact weights pre flight ? 

Many thanks in advance 

On 12/1/2023 at 2:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yes - very badly - In Europe (EasyJet).

Travelling to France... 4 of us... 

Parents travelling return (UK - France - UK).

Wife and I travelling one-way (as were were flying onward to BKK after France).

Purchased tickets for my Parents - return - Baggage 20kg each (paid extra for 20 kgs baggage per ticket).

Purchased tickets for Wife and I - one way - Baggage 20kgs each.

All passengers have the same surname, tickets paid for with the same credit card, two separate transactions.

We were all checking in together, upon check-in EasyJet staff asked who's bags were who's.

Wife and I had 60 kgs (between us) / Parents had 20 kgs (between them) 

EasyJet staff told me I had to pay for 20kgs excess baggage because we couldn't pool baggage with my parents as they were on a separate ticket - they said it was a security issue...  (rubbish of course)... 

Supervisor wouldn't budge and they were pushing every button they could to try and wind me up... 

(saying things like - booking a flight is a simple process, you should know you have to book excess baggage etc)... 

This is the angriest I've ever been at an airport - inwardly boiling, outwardly calm and arguing my point that I'd paid extra for 80 kgs of baggage between us all. 

We went away... pretended to repack luggage...  checked in again. 

Airline staff asked who's bag was who's... One 20 kg bag Each...  They refused to believe us. 

Again, attempting to push buttons...   I was incredulous. 

This time security came and stood by... it was starting to look like one of those 'tv series where the passengers loose it'.... 

I was forced to pay about £150 for excess 20 kgs baggage while my parents flew 20 kgs light. 

No response at all from a complain to Easy-Jet.

I've never flown a budget carrier in Europe since.

I've only flown a budget carrier in Asia 3 times.

I avoid budge airlines where ever possible - I don't trust any of them

boring

They do all the same Confusing sites and before you know, you have additional charges and you cannot go back. But my friend all of these on line compagnies make a summary before final payment. Thus I think you were not alert enough or did not check  to react before paying and so it is your fault.

14 hours ago, cheggers said:

Hi all, 

On this subject, Help please ! 

There are 5 family members flying Bkk - Surat thani with Air Asia, our allowance is 7k each hand luggage, which I know is easily used up in a small rucksack. 

What is the extra charge per Kilo at the airport Vs pre buying the exact weights pre flight ? 

Many thanks in advance 

Are you sure it's Air Asia and not Thai Vietjet? 

TVJ will only let you pay per kg on top of an existing baggage booking. For example, if you have prepaid for 10kg and have 12kg, you can pay per kg for the extra 2. But if you haven't paid for any, you will have to pay for a 20kg bag, you can't just pay for 2kg. They only offer 10kg & 20kg at the airport, but there's a bigger range for prebooking. The cost difference is substantial, for a different domestic flight, a 20kg bag was something like 350 THB in advance or 1,000 THB at the airport. Excess was 250 or 300 THB per kg, around that price. Being 1kg over, worked out as slightly less than pre-booking a 20kg bag.  

On 12/7/2023 at 1:54 PM, Polar Bear said:

Are you sure it's Air Asia and not Thai Vietjet? 

TVJ will only let you pay per kg on top of an existing baggage booking. For example, if you have prepaid for 10kg and have 12kg, you can pay per kg for the extra 2. But if you haven't paid for any, you will have to pay for a 20kg bag, you can't just pay for 2kg. They only offer 10kg & 20kg at the airport, but there's a bigger range for prebooking. The cost difference is substantial, for a different domestic flight, a 20kg bag was something like 350 THB in advance or 1,000 THB at the airport. Excess was 250 or 300 THB per kg, around that price. Being 1kg over, worked out as slightly less than pre-booking a 20kg bag.  

For AirAsia, you can amend the prepaid from say 20-30kg by going to a booking counter or online before going to the check in desk, which will be significantly cheaper than being charged excess baggage weight 

• Like 1