Foreigner Stumbles, Hand Impaled by Wire Rope in Pattaya

snoop1130

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

We get older and less alert and sprightly.... sad to blame all incidents on the victim. Pattaya pavements are abysmal, and keeping an eye on them means you haven't got one on the traffic, nor on the jagged edges of a steel cable jutting out at eye level!

....or the soi dogs.🙃🙃

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Of course he can.  LOL - Thailand is the Land of Lawyers.  He will be awarded 150 baht Medical expenses and cost him 50,000 in legal fees.

That’s not how it’s done.. A lawyer may not be necessary. The first step is to find out who is responsible. 
But if he has insurance, he might not bother or he might use his coverage to facilitate proceedings. My coverage for legal fees is over 1,100,000 baht. Medical coverage 900,000,000 baht. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Been there done that... as well as pavements just as bad in other parts of the world... had a few falls myself... my fault... my responsibility... the world is full of perils... quit being a victim.

yes,  it's a damn nightmare walking the streets at night after 8 pints,  and then it's all the dangerous financial risks posed to you while sitting inside the bar,  as such ...   venturing out at night is extremely risky behaviour. 

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

How about the guy that stumbled taking responsibility... In Thailand and all over the world there are "safety concerns" that one should be aware of... it's your responsibility to see that you are aware.  Mommy cannot protect you your whole life...

Another one who blames the victim! All tourists should know that in Thailand pavements are not for pedestrians.

Have you ever had an accident? Yes you have!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

31k USD aint gunna go far with a lawyer.

Nice 25 million USD  medical cover though... impressive policy.

It’s Thai baht in Thailand. 1.1 million baht will be more than adequate in this case.
There’s really no need for you to disagree with everything just for the sake of it, then when challenged, simply fade away to start a hollow argument somewhere else. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

It’s Thai baht in Thailand. 1.1 million baht will be more than adequate in this case.
There’s really no need for you to disagree with everything just for the sake of it, then when challenged, simply fade away to start a hollow argument somewhere else. 

Not disagreeing for the sake of it..

Disagreeing because it simply WILL NOT HAPPEN.

And 1.1 million is <deleted> all when you start paying lawyers to sue the government.

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Not disagreeing for the sake of it..

Disagreeing because it simply WILL NOT HAPPEN.

And 1.1 million is <deleted> all when you start paying lawyers to sue the government.

Of course you are. Most of your posts are nonsensical of late.
Sue which government? Why don’t you just stop posting rubbish in the first place?

Do you think any responsible entity will spend a million baht in order to avoid paying a much lesser medical bill, along with the ensuing negative publicity?

Perhaps you should stop playing the fool. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Of course you are. Most of your posts are nonsensical of late.
Sue which government? Why don’t you just stop posting rubbish in the first place?

Do you think any responsible entity will spend a million baht in order to avoid paying a much lesser medical bill, along with the ensuing negative publicity?

Perhaps you should stop playing the fool. 

are you stupid or what ?

The government own the power pole... who else would this person sue ?

• Confused 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

are you stupid or what ?

The government own the power pole... who else would this person sue ?

I would ask the same question of you…

Go back to re-read the question. 
I’ll help you… “Sue which government?”

I suspect such a question is far above your ability to comprehend. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

How about the guy that stumbled taking responsibility... In Thailand and all over the world there are "safety concerns" that one should be aware of... it's your responsibility to see that you are aware.  Mommy cannot protect you your whole life...

What a totally ridiculous thing to say!:unsure:

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, BigStar said:

Tourists are likely unprepared for the challenge of Third World sidewalks. I first encountered it in Mexico.

Expats have less excuse. Avoiding falls is in general esp important for seniors. To battle with Pattaya's sidewalks, you need to have good balance, for one thing. That means exercise and keeping your weight down. Obviously, you need to look where you're going. One old Brit didn't recently and stumbled and fell over a road stud. 

And you don't go "native," as one poster recently put it, in shower shoes. Go armored. I regard sandals, so beloved, as insufficient. Better: trainers. Me, I wear light trekking shoes. They grip superbly and fend off all the usual sidewalk attacks.    

And despite all precautions taken, accidents happen. It only takes a momentary lapse of concentration. In this case, shoes might not have helped as you can trip in any footwear.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

no further risk to humans or Belgian tourists.

Don't wish to be racist so simply stating a matter of fact as I remember it. Back in the 1970's in U.K. a comedian had a catchphrase of; 'A big fat Belgian bas@+$%'. I can't remember his name but he was certainly on TV for a while back then.

17 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A journalist and a health and safety professional as well. :burp:

Any exposed end of wire rope or cable is a safety concern. 

So who is going to take responsibility for this incident? Nobody as usual I suppose. 

The first responsibility is the council which should be overseeing road and footpath safety in their city which attracts millions of tourists (and pedestrians). They need to ensure that contractors always consider safety issues when doing work in public areas. It's not difficult really. You (the contractors) pay the medical expenses or we find a new contractor.

They could appoint safety officers to inspect all work done on roads and footpaths and issue fines for non-compliance.

If it happened to me, I would start with a personal visit to City Hall. Of course, if the tourist has full insurance to cover it, that's the end of it.

Edited by JensenZ

38 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes. Everything in life is someone else's responsibility.🤔

No of course not, BUT somethings are outside of a persons control.

You can only control the things you have control over?

If you are walking across the road at a crosswalk and the lights are red to traffic, then a car comes speeding around a corner goes thru the red light, hits you, who is at fault? You cannot control crazy people!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

No of course not, BUT somethings are outside of a persons control.

You can only control the things you have control over?

If you are walking across the road at a crosswalk and the lights are red to traffic, then a car comes speeding around a corner goes thru the red light, hits you, who is at fault? You cannot control crazy people!

Sure, but making sure footpaths are clear of hazards, like spikes, loose paving, holes, etc is not difficult to achieve. All they need to do is a thorough inspection of all "completed" jobs. It's what you'd do if you were paying someone to do some construction work for you, but the council is using taxpayers' money, so they don't seem to be as invested in the quality of work done.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

I really hope he has the relevant insurance in place!

At least it seems from the linked article that the strands have been tidied so no further risk to humans or Belgian tourists.

Interesting though as in a Western country the owner of the utility would be on the hook via civil court to pay for the hospital.  Here?  "Hope you have insurance."  That's sad.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Interesting though as in a Western country the owner of the utility would be on the hook via civil court to pay for the hospital.  Here?  "Hope you have insurance."  That's sad.

That's only a forum member's opinion. The problem with a court action is the timing would not allow compensation for tourists as court actions can take many months. A visit to City Hall with a good lawyer would probably get things moving. I would think that someone at City Hall would be sympathetic. In reality, it's more than likely that a 61-year-old Belgian tourist would have travel insurance.