Foreigner Stumbles, Hand Impaled by Wire Rope in Pattaya

snoop1130

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

And despite all precautions taken, accidents happen. It only takes a momentary lapse of concentration. In this case, shoes might not have helped as you can trip in any footwear.

Might not have. I'm suggesting minimizing the probability within reason.

8 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

No of course not, BUT somethings are outside of a persons control.

You can only control the things you have control over?

If you are walking across the road at a crosswalk and the lights are red to traffic, then a car comes speeding around a corner goes thru the red light, hits you, who is at fault? You cannot control crazy people!

Sadly in this day and age and maybe long before we are afflicted by the phenomena of "not my job". This is universal but seems to also afflict Thailand to a large extent.

I stepped into a hole in the sidewalk on a dimly lit street in Pattaya and twisted sprained my ankle badly. I saw the same thing happen to another guy in BKK, and once to a young Chinese female tourist. I had to piggy-back her back to her hotel because her male friends were too small and/or in confusion and shock. 

i have literally stopped pedestrian traffic in BKK before I had cataract surgery because my vision wasn’t good and suddenly there was a wire or hanging tree branch inches from my face. 

For those of you, and there are many, blaming this guy is ridiculous.  Tourists, expats, or Thai citizens shouldn’t have to worry about live electrical wires or other deadly wires hanging down where harm can be done. 

If it was a twelve year old girl walking to school and lost her eye and half her face, would you make fun of her?

What a bunch of aholes. 

Glad the fella got away with a deeply cut hand. Could have been much worse. 

• Agree 2

On 12/1/2023 at 6:48 PM, Woof999 said:

I bet that bloody hurt.

It was night time.

So by the type of accident (really strange) and time of the day I'd say he was drunk. 🍺

Still, not as strange as the stupid foreigner tripping on a road stud and breaking his nose. 😮

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 2

On 12/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

A journalist and a health and safety professional as well. :burp:

Any exposed end of wire rope or cable is a safety concern. 

So who is going to take responsibility for this incident? Nobody as usual I suppose. 

TAT will look at visa free travel to attract tourists. Take a look at the state of the country, tidy it up and you've got something worth promoting. It's always been unsafe to drive here but now it's becoming increasingly dangerous to bloody well walk.

Get your head out the sand TAT  and make it safe before giving it the large.

• Like 1

The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis. The safety standards, the lack of uniform measures, poor inspections, if any, the shoddy craftsmanship, combined with an huge lack of pride in the work being done creates alot of hazards for the public. Overhanging awnings and signs, with razor sharp edges, hanging wires, crappy sidewalks. One need to exercise alot of attention, and be very conscious the moment you step outside here.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

Tourists, expats, or Thai citizens shouldn’t have to worry about live electrical wires or other deadly wires hanging down where harm can be done. 

They shouldn't--but they do. You can be right, but your own preservation should rule.

I recall a member whinging about hitting his head on the overhanging signs on Beach Rd. and arguing he shouldn't have to duck. That's cause he never needed to duck when walking down Oxford Street. Again, Thailand should be like the UK.

After some discussion, he revealed the fact of his refusal to duck, 'cause he shouldn't have to. If you see an old farang walking on the Promenade with a perpetually bloodied forehead, that's him.

• Confused 1