Brainles young farangs on huge motorbikes in Pattaya

vangrop

14 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you're a million times too late to be the first to use that fatuous phrase.

You clearly deserve recognition

I prefer not to have any "recognition" from you or your associated fatuous academia, thanks.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Oh well, apologies.

There seems to have been a problem posting, so i tried to do it again, and again. Hehe.

What you refer to as 'anti-farang', which is literally putting words in my mouth, as I have never said that, comes from seeing and hearing loud large motorbikes on the roads, and when we look, it is a young farang driving. And I say 'we', because the Thai people observing this quickly agree, that these farangs are a problem. So these young farangs are making a bad impression to all.

And it is a new phenomenon. When I hear a loud noise behind me, noise coming louder and louder, I have some fear that this idiot might lose control of his motorbike, as I see many times while driving.

The danger on the road does come 'mostly' from young stupid farangs on large motorbikes.  Even the dangerous pick-up drivers must slow down in heavy traffic, unlike the motorbikes, who get to still drive recklessly by driving around the traffic.

''Phuket reports high numbers of motorbike accidents involving tourists"

https://scandasia.com/phuket-reports-high-numbers-of-motorbike-accidents-involving-tourists/

By Dec 23 the number of road deaths in Phuket accidents reached 103 cases, the number of hospital admissions hit 16,689 cases (compared to 71 deaths and 13,134 hospitalisations for year 2021). According to ThaiRSC, over 75% Phuket accidents with deaths and hospitalisations involved motorcycles.

This road safety awareness video, released by Ramathibodi Hospital's Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Centre (CSIP) last year, has resonated with many in Thailand, where 73 per cent of traffic-related deaths involve motorcycles.

Experts said last month that, on average, 5,500 motorcyclists die annually - or 15 deaths a day. The figure continues to climb, making Thailand the world's deadliest country for two-wheelers. The issue returned to the fore this month after two separate motorbike accidents in Phuket killed a pregnant British tourist and seriously injured another British tourist.

Your response is the very embodiment of the 'frequency illusion'...     At the moment you can't see the forest for the trees because you have buried your head so deeply into the bias that 'it is only young Farangs' who are dangerous on motorcycles....

... Step back and you'll see that there are dangerous motorcylists of all nationalities and becasue there are a lot more Thai's on the roads than Westerners, there are a lot more dangerous Thai's...   We may notice more foreigners in area's like Pattaya, simply because there are a lot more foreigners there... 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Can't see the difference between a 50cc scooter and a massive 1000cc beast,  they both get you from A to B, especially in jomtien and pattaya,  why the rush,  its only to impress the ladies,  believe me,  the ladies don't give a @#t ,  drunken farang,  don't you just love em , 555555

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only foreigners ??...    has it only every been foreigners with whom you've encountered  a near miss...  because my experience in Thailand is that whenever driving the regular near-misses occur with a lot of Thai's too.

I'm quite sure many foreigners ride poorly, inconsiderately, with disregard for their own safety and that of others... but isn't that just road users in general ?... Foreigners, or Thai ?

Its the distortion that it is 'only foreigners' who ride so dangerously and cause issues that I'm questioning - it does seem that a number of posters have witnessed a couple of issues with foreigners riding and paint all with the same brush.

I don't really care if its foreigners on motorcycles or any other generalisation, is the fallacy of the sweeping generalisation itself that I'm questioning - it does appear as though 'some' are anti-foreigner here which strikes me as odd... Just like the guys who state they actively avoid other foreigners etc.

I don't disagree with this.. Dangerous idiots are just dangerous idiots and they come in all forms...  the implication that its 'just foreigners' is what I'm questioning.

Such bias occurs a lot on these fora - we see it with Fortuner drivers.... often with the comments about 'foreigners driving fortuners'.. 

... and then someone sees one which is fulfils the conformation bias....  

We see a normal car being driven recklessly and its just another car...  we see a Fortuner being driven recklessly and that confirms the bias that all Fortuners are driven by tools...  the reality is Fortuner's are driven recklessly with no more frequency than any other car (proportionate to numbers on the roads)...  but that does't prevent us adhering to the 'frequency illusion'...

Its the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon and we're all guilty of it until we step back and think logically.

We're talking about Pattaya Richard, not greater Thailand.

I love the place but one of its many shortcomings is the concentration of aggressive foreigners on motorbikes. 

When I walk down Soi Buakhao and other busy narrow streets I don't pick up bad vibes from Thai drivers/riders. It's the foreigners, especially farang, that are a problem.

If you've never been there and experienced it yourself then there's no point continuing the discussion.

If you've been there, experienced it for yourself but think there's nothing untoward about it, then there's also no point continuing the discussion.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

We're talking about Pattaya Richard, not greater Thailand.

I love the place but one of its many shortcomings is the concentration of aggressive foreigners on motorbikes. 

When I walk down Soi Buakhao and other busy narrow streets I don't pick up bad vibes from Thai drivers/riders. It's the foreigners, especially farang, that are a problem.

If you've never been there and experienced it yourself then there's no point continuing the discussion.

If you've been there, experienced it for yourself but think there's nothing untoward about it, then there's also no point continuing the discussion.

I totally agree with you. Pattaya seems to function as a huge magnet in attracting deviated brainless moron uneducated youth from all over the world

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, vangrop said:

I totally agree with you. Pattaya seems to function as a huge magnet in attracting deviated brainless moron uneducated youth from all over the world

Well it's not just young folk, a lot of older fellas are just as bad. That's OK if they would just stick to their football hooligan bars so you can avoid them, it's when they get out and about on their donor cycles that it becomes a problem.

Unfortunately there's little you can do about it except keep your eyes peeled when walking about the place, and your "jai yen yen" turned all the way up to 11. There's no point tangling with those hoodlums unless you have connections in City Hall and very deep pockets 🤣

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your response is the very embodiment of the 'frequency illusion'...     At the moment you can't see the forest for the trees because you have buried your head so deeply into the bias that 'it is only young Farangs' who are dangerous on motorcycles....

... Step back and you'll see that there are dangerous motorcylists of all nationalities and becasue there are a lot more Thai's on the roads than Westerners, there are a lot more dangerous Thai's...   We may notice more foreigners in area's like Pattaya, simply because there are a lot more foreigners there... 

Well, difficult to discuss with with someone whose response is the embodiment of blindness to facts that do not fit your narrative.

So you are saying that all the Thais that react to farangs driving big bikes too fast, that they should stop looking at those farangs, and focus on Thais only, driving smaller motorbikes.

Get a grip man.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Dangerous and stupid...  agreed....    Believing they are trying to impress you or other older farangs... ridiculous.

Believing? An observation of gentlemaen attraction for other gentlemen or dimwits suffering from antisocial crisis. Got it?

On 12/3/2023 at 7:27 PM, JensenZ said:

I would separate big bikes into 2 categories. Sports bikes and Harleys.

I've been riding all types of bikes for 50 years, so I'm somewhat of a bike enthusiast, but there is still one big bike I dislike. It's a Harley, which has more bark than bite, designed to get the attention of anyone within 200m... and not in a good way but by pure ear-numbing noise pollution. Sometimes it's like being attacked when someone suddenly opens its throttle behind you to overtake. In contrast, I enjoy the sound of a superbike accelerating into the distance with the mild and pleasant hum of advanced technology.

They used to have a Harley in the condo next door to my townhouse. As soon as the owner fired it up, our whole building would start to rumble, and that was just when it was at idle.

Of course, other bikes with modified or removed exhaust baffles are not pleasant either.

Big bike 800cc up.

Mid bike 250cc -800cc

Small bike 90cc-250cc

Mini bike under 90cc

A lot of people like to believe that their mid size bike is a “big bike” makes them feel better. Yamaha makes a gutless oversized XSR 155, sure it’s bigger than other bikes in its class designed for the big bike wannabes, but I’d never ride one because it’s gutless. I have a bn600 and rarely ride it, only use it for an occasional ride out of town. Car for long drives. The click is great for the city, easy to get around and parking. “Me big bike” is just silly flaired egos.

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

that reads very  much like...  If I don't agree with you there's no point continuing the discussion.... 

Now, I've seen plenty if idiots on bikes in Pattaya...   and there are more 'Western' (farang) idiots on bikes in Pattaya than there are in places such as Khon Kaen and Bangkok for example... 

But this idea that its only foreigners (farangs) which is completely ridiculous..   When I'm in places like this I see both, foreigners and Thai's behaving like idiots on motorcycles. 

55 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, difficult to discuss with with someone whose response is the embodiment of blindness to facts that do not fit your narrative.

So you are saying that all the Thais that react to farangs driving big bikes too fast, that they should stop looking at those farangs, and focus on Thais only, driving smaller motorbikes.

Get a grip man.

Get a grip indeed... what 'facts' do you have ??... You don't...  you have anecdote and thats it.

And no.. I have not suggesting anyone, Thai's or otherwise ignore the farangs riding big bikes too fast - Those are your worlds, that is your gas-lighting...  What I am stating is that contrary to blinkered 'anti-farang' view on this thread...  riding a bike like a compete pillock is not restricted to 'farangs' on Soi Bukkaow.

But... if places such as Soi Bukkaow or Pattaya Soi 6 are your only frame of reference I can understand why opinion have become so blinkered - that would be like arguing all the mongers are Western men only.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But this idea that its only foreigners (farangs) which is completely ridiculous..   When I'm in places like this I see both, foreigners and Thai's behaving like idiots on motorcycles. 

I'm simply telling you my experiences.

I've never had a Thai motorcycist almost crash into me because he was looking back to talk with his mate whilst coming around a corner at speed. Thankfully he corrected at the last second. He was able to look back and give me a "what?" look when I shouted at him so maybe he is really a good rider after all.

I've never had a Thai motorcycist almost barrel into me because he's squeezed himself into a narrow gap between a stopped songthaew and an adjacent building then gunned it as soon as he squeezed through. Right past the door to the 7-Eleven that I was just coming out of.

I've never had a Thai motorcycist almost clip me with his wing mirrors because he was hugging the left side of the lane in Soi Buakhao and not slowing or deviating off his line like the Thais do.

For the most part, Thai riders and drivers in those over-trafficked Sois don't faze me and I rarely feel threatened. Notable exceptions are SUVs with Bangkok plates.

But when I see a foreigner coming towards me on a motorcycle then I start praying to the old Gods and the new that I'll survive the encounter.

You can call that "anti-farang" or irritational or whatever you want, it doesn't really worry me. I'm quite happy with my blanket disdain for foreign motorists 😅

15 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm simply telling you my experiences.

I've never had a Thai motorcycist almost crash into me because he was looking back to talk with his mate whilst coming around a corner at speed. Thankfully he corrected at the last second. He was able to look back and give me a "what?" look when I shouted at him so maybe he is really a good rider after all.

I've never had a Thai motorcycist almost barrel into me because he's squeezed himself into a narrow gap between a stopped songthaew and an adjacent building then gunned it as soon as he squeezed through. Right past the door to the 7-Eleven that I was just coming out of.

I've never had a Thai motorcycist almost clip me with his wing mirrors because he was hugging the left side of the lane in Soi Buakhao and not slowing or deviating off his line like the Thais do.

For the most part, Thai riders and drivers in those over-trafficked Sois don't faze me and I rarely feel threatened. Notable exceptions are SUVs with Bangkok plates.

But when I see a foreigner coming towards me on a motorcycle then I start praying to the old Gods and the new that I'll survive the encounter.

You can call that "anti-farang" or irritational or whatever you want, it doesn't really worry me. I'm quite happy with my blanket disdain for foreign motorists 😅

Well, perhaps Pattaya is different from the rest of Thailand... and the Thai's are model citizens and it really is only the 'farangs' who ride carelessly...   

And now its the 'SUV's from Bangkok'... Cos SUV's from another area, or any other vehicle for that matter don't drive poorly...  

You see... you are falling into that 'frequency fallacy' again.

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You see... you are falling into that 'frequency fallacy' again.

I've already mentioned that that doesn't faze me. I won't get refused service at the pub because of it, so it's no skin off my nose.

4 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Anyone who drives a motorbike in Thailand is brainless regardless of age. I have to laugh when I see these old geezers ride their bikes with their little brown teeluk on the back.

You must be devoid of a brain yourself to insult a large percentage of forum members who ride. To me, you'd have to be an idiot to sit in traffic all day long to get to places you can get to on a bike in 5 minutes... 

6 hours ago, novacova said:

Big bike 800cc up.

Mid bike 250cc -800cc

Small bike 90cc-250cc

Mini bike under 90cc

A lot of people like to believe that their mid size bike is a “big bike” makes them feel better. Yamaha makes a gutless oversized XSR 155, sure it’s bigger than other bikes in its class designed for the big bike wannabes, but I’d never ride one because it’s gutless. I have a bn600 and rarely ride it, only use it for an occasional ride out of town. Car for long drives. The click is great for the city, easy to get around and parking. “Me big bike” is just silly flaired egos.

So I suppose you don't subscribe to the theory forwarded by a big bike rider on this forum that only big bikes are real bikes?

Edited by JensenZ

On 12/3/2023 at 4:04 PM, vangrop said:

These kind of bikes should be banned from a city with small sois and continuous traffic jams.

Along with slow moving samlors, food sellers, huge 2 decker tourist coaches, cement mixers, delivery trucks and idiots driving on their phones.. and there would still be traffic jams and accidents every day!

(Just think 'big bike, small dick' and be smug over that!)

On 12/5/2023 at 7:36 AM, JensenZ said:

You must be devoid of a brain yourself to insult a large percentage of forum members who ride. To me, you'd have to be an idiot to sit in traffic all day long to get to places you can get to on a bike in 5 minutes... 

I rode a m'bike in LOS and for many years in my youth, but like most other m'bikes on Thai roads it wasn't a big bike. I doubt a big bike is any easier to maneuver in jammed  traffic than a car. The gaps to go through are too small.

On 12/5/2023 at 2:51 AM, Keep Right said:

Anyone who drives a motorbike in Thailand is brainless regardless of age. I have to laugh when I see these old geezers ride their bikes with their little brown teeluk on the back.

I feel sorry for the girls that they get put at risk just to earn a crust.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, Jimbo 12345 said:

Can't see the difference between a 50cc scooter and a massive 1000cc beast,  they both get you from A to B, especially in jomtien and pattaya,  why the rush,  its only to impress the ladies,  believe me,  the ladies don't give a @#t ,  drunken farang,  don't you just love em , 555555

Several thousand baht.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:43 AM, JensenZ said:

So I suppose you don't subscribe to the theory forwarded by a big bike rider on this forum that only big bikes are real bikes?

I subscribe to the fact that any bike is a real bike, whether it’s a little girls pedal bike or a Leonhardt Gunbus 410. A bike is a bike and they are all real.