Mini PC

ignis

Anyone using ?

My old PC is having problems built 12 years ago debating what to do re build my PC  or get a all new Mini ?  [only ever used AMD all my life]

Ryzen 7 5800H. is about the same price as me upgrading to a AM 4 B550 Motherboard + Ryzen 5600 + Ram + a new M2 SDD

so wondered if anyone has gone to a Mini PC and what if any drawbacks ?

As already have + using  a 3 month old Graphics card  + year old full size AZZA case + 18 month old POWER SUPPLY (80+ GOLD) 750W THERMALTAKE

57 minutes ago, ignis said:

Anyone using ?

My old PC is having problems built 12 years ago debating what to do re build my PC  or get a all new Mini ?  [only ever used AMD all my life]

Ryzen 7 5800H. is about the same price as me upgrading to a AM 4 B550 Motherboard + Ryzen 5600 + Ram + a new M2 SDD

so wondered if anyone has gone to a Mini PC and what if any drawbacks ?

As already have + using  a 3 month old Graphics card  + year old full size AZZA case + 18 month old POWER SUPPLY (80+ GOLD) 750W THERMALTAKE

NUCs are big around here. Me, I'm a believer in upgrading. As you know, you've got good, fairly new parts there already. Good reliable power supply that'll last for at least 4 more years, probably longer.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

NUCs are big around here. Me, I'm a believer in upgrading. As you know, you've got good, fairly new parts there already. Good reliable power supply that'll last for at least 4 more years, probably longer.

Unfortunately, Intel ceased production of NUCs early this year.  There may still be some models in stores.  JIB used to sell them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I got an MSI Cubi 5 which I use when I travel, I set it up with a monitor, keyboard and mouse in the hotel.

I added an additional 2TB SSD drive to it. Hardly ever use it though.

good office one is 32,000 baht

4 hours ago, dddave said:

Unfortunately, Intel ceased production of NUCs early this year.  There may still be some models in stores.  JIB used to sell them.

appears can still buy online from China, the NUC B13 is a i 3

The NUC B 4 is very old, guess OK for a TV Box

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yes think your right, leaning that way, as have 3 USB HDDs + inside have 2x 2TB HDDs and my system on a SSD + in the back Speakers uses USB , Cam is USB. Printer is USB  always have Smartphone USB cable plugged in..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

The minis?  Not so easily upgradable as the desktop.  I didn't see an advantage as desk space isn't a concern.

But is upgrading still a thing?  No need for it with the low costs of minis.  As for desk space prefer to use for printer/monitor.  Mini is also mini electric bill and silent operation and can also be your TV.  If you do not need laptop but may travel mini can hook up to any TV and be carried in pocket and easy to lock up in hotel safe for security.  Believe mini time is here - at least it is for me.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ignis said:

Yes think your right, leaning that way, as have 3 USB HDDs + inside have 2x 2TB HDDs and my system on a SSD + in the back Speakers uses USB , Cam is USB. Printer is USB  always have Smartphone USB cable plugged in..

In theory you could use one or more USB hubs to make for the lack of USB ports on the mini-PC.

With your present PC you could perhaps consolidate the 3 USB HDDs. I have 1 SSD system drive, 1 SSD games drive, 2x6 TB HDDs, one for backup. I have another external backup I plug into a mobile rack in the PC case once a month or so. I could see an argument in favor of a mini-PC and a NAS. But then I'd have to buy the NAS and fool around. This has worked fine for years.  

I've been through several major and minor upgrades. PC case and power supply are original. :) It's all a couple of generations out of date. I think about getting the latest and greatest, which I could afford, but then what I have now is really all I need, quite fast enough. I think of a classic car with new parts. 

10 hours ago, BigStar said:

In theory you could use one or more USB hubs to make for the lack of USB ports on the mini-PC.

With your present PC you could perhaps consolidate the 3 USB HDDs. I have 1 SSD system drive, 1 SSD games drive, 2x6 TB HDDs, one for backup. I have another external backup I plug into a mobile rack in the PC case once a month or so. I could see an argument in favor of a mini-PC and a NAS. But then I'd have to buy the NAS and fool around. This has worked fine for years.  

I've been through several major and minor upgrades. PC case and power supply are original. :) It's all a couple of generations out of date. I think about getting the latest and greatest, which I could afford, but then what I have now is really all I need, quite fast enough. I think of a classic car with new parts. 

Yes already looked and put in Bookmarks  usb hub 7 port 3.0 usb extender..

Mini PCs look good but is a minefield appears 5,000 - 68,000 baht, most can only get from China.  in Thailand appear to be only cheap older hardware models [or mid range   pre order arrives in 20 days]  anything up to date here in Thailand are Apple Mac's

with a desktop understand M/B + CPU + Graphics card the main items = price,  the Mini's are onboard graphics so why the high price difference...

Likewise what I have now is really all I need, quite fast enough FX 8320, [very latest CPU on the market at the time]  just at odd times will do odd things, a HDD will vanish, but come back hours later, at this moment the DVD drive has vanished, often open a page and it will hang, wait 5 mins and it starts working again,  maybe twice a week will not start says No OS found, will slide the SSD tray out then restart so use the backup USB drive will work [maybe the SSD drive has vanished ?] 

2 hours ago, ignis said:

"just at odd times will do odd things, a HDD will vanish, but come back hours later, at this moment the DVD drive has vanished,"

A friend was having similar problems with an older PC.  It turned out to be an auto driver update issue.  The OS was automatically deleting and trying to update drivers on various hardware, in some cases unsuccessfully.  When he disabled the driver update function in Windows the problem ceased.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, ignis said:

Likewise what I have now is really all I need, quite fast enough FX 8320, [very latest CPU on the market at the time]  just at odd times will do odd things, a HDD will vanish, but come back hours later, at this moment the DVD drive has vanished, often open a page and it will hang, wait 5 mins and it starts working again,  maybe twice a week will not start says No OS found, will slide the SSD tray out then restart so use the backup USB drive will work [maybe the SSD drive has vanished ?] 

Hmm. I like that old CPU, I had an FX 8350 for years and only switched it out recently in my spare computer. The μATX MB was legacy BIOS; I wanted finally to change to UEFI for a few reasons. Was about to buy a new (used) board, but then got a steal on an Asus LGA1155 from an old guy in my condo parting out (or should I say, departing out). So I got an I7 3770 (in same league as the FX) on Aliexpress and run that. 

Maybe you've done some troubleshooting already? CCcleaner etc. Disappearing drives . . . . We never see this suggested here, but sometimes just a simple spray of electrical contact cleaner in the ports helps. Also rub a pencil eraser on the drive contracts (data and power) and RAM sticks. Corrosion seems a bigger issue here in Thailand.

Just yesterday I was changing my games SSD to a larger one--NEW Corsair MX500.  Cloned and installed the larger one and got a lot of slow startup and "drive not found" nonsense. HUH? I cleaned the contacts and sprayed in contact cleaner and the problem went away! I had to laugh. I didn't think it'd work.

Edited by BigStar

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Hmm. I like that old CPU, I had an FX 8350 for years and only switched it out recently in my spare computer. The μATX MB was legacy BIOS; I wanted finally to change to UEFI for a few reasons. Was about to buy a new (used) board, but then got a steal on an Asus LGA1155 from an old guy in my condo parting out (or should I say, departing out). So I got an I7 3770 (in same league as the FX) on Aliexpress and run that. 

Maybe you've done some troubleshooting already? CCcleaner etc. Disappearing drives . . . . We never see this suggested here, but sometimes just a simple spray of electrical contact cleaner in the ports helps. Also rub a pencil eraser on the drive contracts (data and power) and RAM sticks. Corrosion seems a bigger issue here in Thailand.

Just yesterday I was changing my games SSD to a larger one--NEW Corsair MX500.  Cloned and installed the larger one and got a lot of slow startup and "drive not found" nonsense. HUH? I cleaned the contacts and sprayed in contact cleaner and the problem went away! I had to laugh. I didn't think it'd work.

Yes need a good clean up, did some of the fans last week, so dirty  The Azza case I have has 10 case fans + have dogs so collects a lot of hair and dust, looking inside all a bit dusty so a good clean would maybe improve the odd errors..........  The DVD drive vanishing this morning changed to a different Sata plug on MB is working again.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

A friend was having similar problems with an older PC.  It turned out to be an auto driver update issue.  The OS was automatically deleting and trying to update drivers on various hardware, in some cases unsuccessfully.  When he disabled the driver update function in Windows the problem ceased.

my auto update is disabled, checking early this week, Windows 10 Pro came back as unable to update - error,  likewise my Radeon update said not found update cancelled !!  will give it all a good clean inside next week and try again