Noisy neighbours....today's job

Rampant Rabbit

I empathize and sympathize with your problem with the noise inside your apartment. I too can't stand the noise in Thailand coming from very cheaply constructed houses and even cheaper windows. I have tried varios noise reduction methods and some have worked and some have not. My last house was so noisy that even after spending  about 40000 baht on doubling up my windows and insulation the ceiling I just sold cheap and ran. Life is too short and the noise makes me too angry.

When looking for last place I purchased noise was a major consideration . Its almost perfect in my Mooban except the few inconsiderate owners that have barking dogs and the idiots who think it is smart to feed the wild soi dogs outside our gate.

Of course your block wall and insulation will help a bit but the only thing I wave really found to work the best is white noise. Try soft music or search for white noise rain on your computer. 

Good luck

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Why don't you get quality recording studio insulation and put that up instead of building that crazy wall?

You can douple or triple them up, they have ones that are interlockable/stackable.

When you sell up you can just take it down and prospective buyers don't know about the problem. You're turning your unit into a construction zone for no reason. I don't think that cinder block type cement is really going to block sound that well, it's more meant to be a barrier.

IMG_0357.jpeg

Thank you - where to buy?  it's adhesive?

On 12/6/2023 at 9:05 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Ah I see why i stopped  posting on Thai Visa its because most posters are utter  <deleted> <deleted>, no change after a year off I see ta ta. 

Are you going to leave the block exposed or go over it with a material ,what is it sitting on?

6 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Yet another thread, and yet another reason to “ only rent, never buy in Thailand ”. Makes no sense to buy when rental costs are so ridiculously low here compared to our home countries and because of Thai's obsession with maximum, objectionable noise and their blatant disregard for their neighbor's peaceful living. 

You're usually stuck somewhere for a year if you rent. The nicer places only accept long term leases. So, renting can get you out sooner, but it's not a perfect solution unless you like throwing away deposits.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:18 PM, soi3eddie said:

Walked back up the local Soi in Bangkok an hour ago. A number of quite new replacement houses (no shortage of cash rather evident). Lovely floor to ceiling windows, none of them double glazed. Think of the noise reduction and lower cooling costs that that could be enjoyed by double glazing. The Thais just don't get it. A small extra amount upfront will lead to better enjoyment and lower costs for the life of the property. A friend built an A-Frame raised cabin in a southern province a few years ago, he stipulated high ceilings and cavity walls with insulation and a long overhang roof - locals and builder thought he was nuts spending the extra money. Result? No need for air conditioning. Maybe one-day...

"...The Thais just don't get it..." be fair, many farang also don't get it. 

A different example; I owned a big condo on Petchaburi Road. For several years no issues whatever with neighbors. 

Then a farang bought the condo next to me. He moved in with his farang GF, and:

- His old well used big moving boxes (10 old supermarket product boxes) left in the hallway. Thai neighbor moved them into the garbage room on our floor, but farang quickly found them and moved them back to the hallway near his front door. I had asked him several time to move them out of the hallway as a respect to all neighbors on our floor. He refused.

- His front door wide open all the time he/gf at home, TV blaring until early hours of the morning.

- Old plastic bags of food scraps put in the hallway against the wall opposite his door. Plus a row of empty beer bottles. Farang had told the maid who cleans our hallway 'don't touch'. This remained until end of each month when juristic person warned the farang he would have the electricity turned off is the food scrap bags/bottles not removed to a central rubbish storage on first floor at back of the building. 

- After 4 years of this farang suddenly moved out. New owner moved in, very pleasant farang with pleasant Thai wife (an engineer). Very thoughtful/pleasant neighbors.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

on the photos I see an angled metal stabiliser to the new wall. (between row three and four)
If that is drilled into the wall, and then fixed to the partition blocks, I would be concerned that it may become an effective noise transmitter.

52 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

You're usually stuck somewhere for a year if you rent. The nicer places only accept long term leases. So, renting can get you out sooner, but it's not a perfect solution unless you like throwing away deposits.

I have never lost a single baht of a deposit in 6 years of renting in Thailand and I have never been forced to take out anything near a one year lease. Furthermore, on two occasions I moved out the SAME DAY because I wanted to move elsewhere immediately. On both these occasions I also got my full deposit back! - just needed to be polite, offer a good explanation and clean the room thoroughly. TIT. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm guessing due to the extreme measures in wall construction you don't want to live around other people, and the noise is secondary.

Maybe it's time to move out of the city. I'm that way also so. Most I can do usually is corner unit top floor and just live away from the one common wall as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

Maybe they were a bad quality 12 years ago?

I have seen such condition. Q-con wall was full of cracks and then was fixed by simple wall patch and looked perfect, but the fact is sound will pass through cracks since the cracks were not filled by filler. One layer of Q-con won't be sound proof anyway. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, KKra said:

on the photos I see an angled metal stabiliser to the new wall. (between row three and four)
If that is drilled into the wall, and then fixed to the partition blocks, I would be concerned that it may become an effective noise transmitter.

You are right. In fact if I were him I would use tin studs from floor to ceiling and screw Gipson boards to those studs without any wall to wall supports and have insulation between only. 

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

I thought one of the features of those blocks were noise reduction? Maybe they were a bad quality 12 years ago?

I doubt that the quality was any different 12 years ago, and they are excellent at noise reduction if the construction is correct. My house has about a 24db noise reduction.

Get rid of that metal clip in the brickwork for a start. Reverberation transfer straight through.

Can use isolation clips though.

People who have recommended (like Mr Jim Tripper ) the acoustic material have no idea what they are talking about

& even 5 layers will do nothing.

You have an STC problem not NRC.

What you are building may help a little  but flanking will determine how much.

Transfer through & above the ceiling will negate most of your efforts unless take your  2nd wall right up to 

the slab or roof.

You are lucky they are not playing music with a lot of bass.

Good Luck

On 12/6/2023 at 4:40 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Walls are made of AAC blocks in this  condo, they appear to  do nothing for noise so Ive done a bit of modification today.

The last neghbour spent  all night banging his girllfriend.......oh .oh....oh.......oh., urgh,...............urgh.........urgh.........Kamikaze......he was Japanese and sounded like he was  killing her. The new neighbour seems to come in at 1am regularly and has laughing fits with her friend until 3 am..then goes out to work at 8am, beats  me how she only gets 3-4 hours sleep a night. Also by  cunning design her bed backs onto my wall and has built  in drawers which she likes to bang shut.

Mass  kills  noise fibreglass in between also.  After  will be doing built in wardrobes over the wall.....probably wont hear much then.

20231206_142039.jpg

20231206_142046.jpg

20231206_144737.jpg

20231206_145421.jpg

The last neghbour spent  all night banging his girllfriend.......oh .oh....oh.......oh., urgh,...............urgh.........urgh.........Kamikaze......he was Japanese and sounded like he was  killing her....But HOW Did he keep it UP,ALL Night.....Lucky Guy !!

On 12/6/2023 at 9:05 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Ah I see why i stopped  posting on Thai Visa its because most posters are utter  <deleted> <deleted>, no change after a year off I see ta ta. 

Agreed.

I'm not sure if it's gotten worse or I've just tired of the ping pong insults blighting every thread after the first five replies. Blocking certain prolific blowhards helps a bit, but not enough.

I also used to help with input if I had specific information that might help someone, as you just did. I don't bother now or spend much time here any more.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, RocketDog said:

Agreed.

I'm not sure if it's gotten worse or I've just tired of the ping pong insults blighting every thread after the first five replies. Blocking certain prolific blowhards helps a bit, but not enough.

I also used to help with input if I had specific information that might help someone, as you just did. I don't bother now or spend much time here any more.

Well, thanks for returning to offer those great insights.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Well, thanks for returning to offer those great insights.

Hardly an insight. Everybody on the forums knows such posters.

They also know who they are. That's why they are sensitive to such 'insight' being put in writing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 4:40 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Walls are made of AAC blocks in this  condo, they appear to  do nothing for noise so Ive done a bit of modification today.

The last neghbour spent  all night banging his girllfriend.......oh .oh....oh.......oh., urgh,...............urgh.........urgh.........Kamikaze......he was Japanese and sounded like he was  killing her. The new neighbour seems to come in at 1am regularly and has laughing fits with her friend until 3 am..then goes out to work at 8am, beats  me how she only gets 3-4 hours sleep a night. Also by  cunning design her bed backs onto my wall and has built  in drawers which she likes to bang shut.

Mass  kills  noise fibreglass in between also.  After  will be doing built in wardrobes over the wall.....probably wont hear much then.

20231206_142039.jpg

20231206_142046.jpg

20231206_144737.jpg

20231206_145421.jpg

Would it not be simpler just to move out of a condo and into a house?

That is really the only fix.

Moving into a house, instead of a condo, was my last resort, and I am thankful every day, these days, that I decided to make the move.

Unless you live in a BrownStone in NYC, like Sherman McCoy, a house is better.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 12/9/2023 at 2:29 PM, jaideedave said:

I'm at my wits end here.( sleepless in Pattaya)

Sounds really terrible for you.

The only solution is to move, I think.

You are too old to waste time trying to endure the unendurable.

Only solution is to move out, and find someplace which is peaceful. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sounds really terrible for you.

The only solution is to move, I think.

You are too old to waste time trying to endure the unendurable.

Only solution is to move out, and find someplace which is peaceful. 

Yes as a last resort. We've lived in the same house for 17 years now in peaceful harmony with the neighbours until this invasion. bah

• Agree 1