Noisy neighbours....today's job

Rampant Rabbit

21 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Walked back up the local Soi in Bangkok an hour ago. A number of quite new replacement houses (no shortage of cash rather evident). Lovely floor to ceiling windows, none of them double glazed. Think of the noise reduction and lower cooling costs that that could be enjoyed by double glazing. The Thais just don't get it. A small extra amount upfront will lead to better enjoyment and lower costs for the life of the property. A friend built an A-Frame raised cabin in a southern province a few years ago, he stipulated high ceilings and cavity walls with insulation and a long overhang roof - locals and builder thought he was nuts spending the extra money. Result? No need for air conditioning. Maybe one-day...

Ive  just moved into a  new  condo ( well built 2012) on Sukhumvit  road, Phrakanong, High floor  19 but the bedroom sliding balcony window may as  well be absent for all the good it does.

Ive alreay ordered a new frame  8 foot  tall by 12 foot  wide with double  glazed units and one casement opening internally door as the sliding thing thats there now is  useless, you can put your hand thru where the doors  overlap each other.

The old room Im doing up to rent out, Thats the noisier one in the OP, should be quiet enough when Im done and it doesnt cost much to do as I do it all myself, blocks are cheap 6 baht.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

This was the old  view and window  now overboarded  mand insulated too

286_20090630170951.jpg

How did you insulate the windows?  triple glazed?  (YES I have a noisy neighbour problem too). Where did you buy the noise insulation for your double walls?  (thanks in advance)

2 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Walls are made of AAC blocks in this  condo, they appear to  do nothing for noise so Ive done a bit of modification today.

The last neghbour spent  all night banging his girllfriend.......oh .oh....oh.......oh., urgh,...............urgh.........urgh.........Kamikaze......he was Japanese and sounded like he was  killing her. The new neighbour seems to come in at 1am regularly and has laughing fits with her friend until 3 am..then goes out to work at 8am, beats  me how she only gets 3-4 hours sleep a night. Also by  cunning design her bed backs onto my wall and has built  in drawers which she likes to bang shut.

Mass  kills  noise fibreglass in between also.  After  will be doing built in wardrobes over the wall.....probably wont hear much then.

20231206_142039.jpg

20231206_142046.jpg

20231206_144737.jpg

20231206_145421.jpg

Hope you got a below market price for that hellhole of a unit.

How much space did you loose building out that cinderblock wall?

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

How did you insulate the windows?  triple glazed?  (YES I have a noisy neighbour problem too). Where did you buy the noise insulation for your double walls?  (thanks in advance)

I didnt trtiple  glaze the window I over boarded it with 12mm plasterboard and polystyrene foam insulation behind it. The other isnulation is the stuff  used in roof  spaces available at homepro thai watsadu global house etc in rolls this is 75mm thick size

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickyLouie said:

Hope you got a below market price for that hellhole of a unit.

How much space did you loose building out that cinderblock wall?

Huh, it isnt a hell  hole of a unit it does have wafer thin walls but only one neighbour as Im on the top  floor  corner  unit.  Yes i got a  good  price , 12  years  ago a 25% discount off the normal price at thats time . They sell for 3.6  million now the building is  well maintained and was painted externally/internally 18  months  ago.

I paid 1.9m, its 47m2, cinderblocks are 75mm thick and behind that there is  another 50mm air  gap filled with fibreglass, if you look you can see one of the building  support  columns which Ive built out to. That bedroom is quite large already, you wont miss 125mm of space.

Close to tesco On Nut. 180m to bts

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

I would suggest you record the sounds your new neighbor is making at those hours, then take the recording to condo management. Condos have rules about unnecessary and untimely noise.

With the old neighbor, I would have recorded the sounds of their coitus, then played them back at maximum volume.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would suggest you record the sounds your new neighbor is making at those hours, then take the recording to condo management. Condos have rules about unnecessary and untimely noise.

With the old neighbor, I would have recorded the sounds of their coitus, then played them back at maximum volume.

The problem isnt the negihbour its the crappy aac block walls, wouldnt say they were overly  noisy its  just you can hear everything though the wall

• Like 1

many years ago i was in a band, my mate had a neighbour with a dog that barked all day when left alone. we got fed up so recorded the noise of the dog barking. at night, once the owner had returned, we rigged up a PA and played the recording back at him. two days later problem solved.

ok, back to the present. the experiences above show the need to research where you're going to live, any country can have noisy neighbors bit it's more difficult to deal with when you're the outsider. make sure you know the building your moving into, the type of people there, the way its managed.

my building has a good mix of middle class thai and foreign UN workers, it's well managed. anyone making a noise or being anti-social gets one warning and after that they're out. it's a wonderfully calm, considerate, friendly and quiet place to live, right in the middle of bangkok.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

many years ago i was in a band, my mate had a neighbour with a dog that barked all day when left alone. we got fed up so recorded the noise of the dog barking. at night, once the owner had returned, we rigged up a PA and played the recording back at him. two days later problem solved.

ok, back to the present. the experiences above show the need to research where you're going to live, any country can have noisy neighbors bit it's more difficult to deal with when you're the outsider. make sure you know the building your moving into, the type of people there, the way its managed.

my building has a good mix of middle class thai and foreign UN workers, it's well managed. anyone making a noise or being anti-social gets one warning and after that they're out. it's a wonderfully calm, considerate, friendly and quiet place to live, right in the middle of bangkok.

Maybe also check the quality of the common wall construction. 

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Huh, it isnt a hell  hole of a unit it does have wafer thin walls but only one neighbour as Im on the top  floor  corner  unit.  Yes i got a  good  price , 12  years  ago a 25% discount off the normal price at thats time . They sell for 3.6  million now the building is  well maintained and was painted externally/internally 18  months  ago.

I paid 1.9m, its 47m2, cinderblocks are 75mm thick and behind that there is  another 50mm air  gap filled with fibreglass, if you look you can see one of the building  support  columns which Ive built out to. That bedroom is quite large already, you wont miss 125mm of space.

Close to tesco On Nut. 180m to bts

Not anymore... Don't buy in thailand.

Cinder blocks with fibreglass wool will do nothing for noise insulation, it's a waste of space and money.

You should have done some reading on what materials are used for noise insulation, and then just put it behind a plasterboard wall.

I believe ready made plasterboards with insulation attached are available

13 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The problem isnt the negihbour its the crappy aac block walls, wouldnt say they were overly  noisy its  just you can hear everything though the wall

Suggest you remove your ear from the wall and relax in a chair......