Do you have any breakdown assistance ?

I am wondering who you will call if you have a problem with your car ?

I don't travel too far, mostly around Pattaya but occasionally travel on the highways to Bangkok,  who do you call if you breakdown on the highway ? 

Anyone have a breakdown service,  I drive a banger with  200,000 Km on the clock,  but don't take too many trips.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

I have MSIG and last year they was heavy smoke coming from behind my front left wheel.  I called them and they sent a flatbed tow and took me to Isuzu no charge

What is MSIG?? Any chance of stopping your smartphone texting and using the Forum properly?? Or are you just too lazy to type four words??

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Ive broken down on the 7 motorway.

Walked to an orange phone and called break down service, they arrived quickly. 

They could not help so arranged a tow truck to my dealership.

Dealership paid for the tow.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Any chance of you Googling MSIG (everyone in Thailand knows MSIG)

.............................or are you just too lazy to type 4 letters??

Why should I have to google anything? I just want to enjoy using the forum with all the uncommon initials nonsense.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

As many others said. 

check your insurance policy. Many provide road side assistance .

If not . them et the name and number  of a tow company, and need their number in your car. They usually provide minor roadside assistance, such as a dead battery, or a flat tire, and will tow you to your local mechanic for the serious stuff.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:41 PM, bondjames007 said:

Anyone have a breakdown service, 

With most insurance you can usually add as an extra if not included. Usually for less than 1000 baht if my memory serves me correctly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NextG said:

No they don’t and actually I agree with NSJ on this occasion. 
“I have MSIG” is poorly written and makes no sense at all to someone who has no knowledge of them. 
“I’m insured by/with MSIG puts the sentence into context. 
“I have MSIG” could mean that he has some strange disease.. 🦠 

Clutching at straws.

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

Wife's credit card includes breakdown cover.

We've used it 4x in total...  3x with a car / 1x with motorcycle. 

A Flatbed that takes your vehicle to the nearest dealership (of that brand) if broken down. 

What surprised me the most was the ease of use: Wife called them (CC company) and arranged pickup within the hour.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Why should I have to google anything? I just want to enjoy using the forum with all the uncommon initials nonsense.

The entitlement shown in this comment is amusing....

Correctly so, some posters face criticism for their confusing comments which are posted without any attempt to ensure what they write is clear or readily understandable - this is not the case here.

In this example, NoshowJones, a very clear and readily understandable comment was posted, you didn't know what MSIG is, were too lazy to google it and have now doubled down on your cluelessness and stupidy with a comical sense of entitlement and childishness... 

If you want to enjoy the forum, perhaps don't pipe up with such dumbness and make just the tiniest dash of effort...  

Exactly how hard is it to type 4 letters into a google search ?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

On 12/7/2023 at 8:41 PM, bondjames007 said:

I am wondering who you will call if you have a problem with your car ?

I don't travel too far, mostly around Pattaya but occasionally travel on the highways to Bangkok,  who do you call if you breakdown on the highway ? 

Anyone have a breakdown service,  I drive a banger with  200,000 Km on the clock,  but don't take too many trips.

Ford have "ford assist" services. When I bought my ranger I got a couple of years free ford assist services and been extending it every year since then. They cover pretty much every kind of breakdown including fuel if you run out during your trip. In case your car has to be towed - they'll cover all the way to the nearest Ford service palace (I got my car towed over 100 km) but if you want another garage you'll have to pay for the extra km's if it is further than the nearest Ford place.

They use local mechanics\tow trucks pretty much everywhere so the waiting time for assistance is not long usually.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Correctly so, some posters face criticism for their confusing comments which are posted without any attempt to ensure what they write is clear or readily understandable - this is not the case here.

In this example, NoshowJones, a very clear and readily understandable comment was posted, you didn't know what MSIG is, were too lazy to google it and have now doubled down on your cluelessness and stupidy with a comical sense of entitlement and childishness... 

If you want to enjoy the forum, perhaps don't pipe up with such dumbness and make just the tiniest dash of effort...  

Agree. At the very least he could have just replied, "What is MSIG please?" and someone would have answered. Yet he went on the attack instead. Then doubled down. Very childish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Car insurance includes a hot line for assistance. Used it once, they hooked up some mechanic-us-rep conference call, sorted in 20 minutes.

Credit cards have something similar, never tried.

If not too far from our area, Mrs. would call her elder brother. He loves playing superhero/savior (and actually does know how to deal with a lot of stuff: engines, cobras, fencing, or which policeman to talk to at the station.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Boring…

You should not have to go to Google. People should communicate in clearly understandable ways for all. There’s a reason why this is an English language forum. Of course we could just write in any language we want, as there’s Google Translate… idiotic. Just write sensibly in the first place. 

35 minutes ago, NextG said:

Boring…

You should not have to go to Google. People should communicate in clearly understandable ways for all. There’s a reason why this is an English language forum. Of course we could just write in any language we want, as there’s Google Translate… idiotic. Just write sensibly in the first place. 

Which part of a company named MSIG do you struggle with.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, NextG said:

Boring…

What is 'Google' ????  Can't you communicate clearly and explain what Google it is.. but they wouldn't have 20 years ago...    the word sounds like nonsense to someone who doesn't know it....

I think that makes the point... Obviously Google is a well known name and people know what it is.

On a thread about breakdown cover, someone mentioned one of the largest insurers in Thailand (MSIG), its a well known name... and if you don't know it, it takes second to educate yourself - it takes much longer to complain.

Your lack of knowledge, doesn't indicate poor communication.

Do you expect to be spoon fed every little detail in every thread because of your lack of knowledge ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1