Do you have any breakdown assistance ?

19 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Mine does not.. it was an added option I chose to exclude.

Mrs. says it came as a deal/package back then, and we don't pay extra. I had no idea...as usual.

Edited by Morch
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What is 'Google' ????  Can't you communicate clearly and explain what Google it is.. but they wouldn't have 20 years ago...    the word sounds like nonsense to someone who doesn't know it....

I think that makes the point... Obviously Google is a well known name and people know what it is.

On a thread about breakdown cover, someone mentioned one of the largest insurers in Thailand (MSIG), its a well known name... and if you don't know it, it takes second to educate yourself - it takes much longer to complain.

Your lack of knowledge, doesn't indicate poor communication.

Do you expect to be spoon fed every little detail in every thread because of your lack of knowledge ?

“I have MSIG” is poor communication.

What would happen if there was no Google? Obviously we have different standards. Let’s leave it at that 😊

Edited by NextG
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

“I have MSIG” is poor communication.

What would happen if there was no Google? Obviously we have different standards. Let’s leave it at that 😊

"I have MSIG"...  is a statement that fell well within context and only two of you (on this thread) failed to follow. 

People do not tailor their answers to the least knowledgable person in the forum community - they instead hit a 'reasonable average'....

In this subject your knowledge base is below average and thats why google is a useful tool.

What would happen if there was no Google ??? - for you, nothing I think, as you seem to refuse to want to use it !!!!.... 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

"I have MSIG"...  is a statement that fell well within context and only two of you (on this thread) failed to follow. 

People do not tailor their answers to the least knowledgable person in the forum community - they instead hit a 'reasonable average'....

In this subject your knowledge base is below average and thats why google is a useful tool.

What would happen if there was no Google ??? - for you, nothing I think, as you seem to refuse to want to use it !!!!.... 

You are posting nonsense. No need to ‘tailor’. Just use reasonable English. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I think that what the OP is asking, is not for a load of argumentative, childish BS but for any recommendations for a breakdown service in Thailand.

Its something I've been meaning to ask for a long time.  In the UK there are several national breakdown services, including the well known RAC and AA that will send out a mechanic to try and fix your car on the spot and if they can't, tow it to a garage. That's what the OP is seeking.

I haven't been able to find a national company yet - yes some car insurance companies will include breakdown cover on your policy but I think that's carried out by several local groups throughout the country. It is therefore just about impossible to know what equipment will be used in the event of a tow.

As an ex-mechanic I would not want my automatic car (the majority in Thailand) towing with its driving wheels on the ground as that can damage an auto.  Having seen the state of some of the suspended tow vehicles, I would also be concerned about potential body damage.

A national service, if there is one, is more likely to use a tilt and slide flatbed vehicle or a trailer.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I believe that is the wrong approach!

Posters  should tailor their posts/answers so that all can understand the content without resorting to a third or forth party which will not necessarily give an obvious or appropriate answer. 

In proper Military and business correspondence you put the full name of the about to be used Acronym/initials in the text and then enclose the Acronym/initials in brackets) e.g.  "The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)" You can then use the initials NATO from then on in THAT document!

The alternative is to give the description and then the initials  e.g. "The well know Asian motor insurance group/company  MSIG." 

If you do not know the subject matter, in this case an insurance group then Google is not a lot of help.

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:
29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I believe that is the wrong approach!

Posters  should tailor their posts/answers so that all can understand the content without resorting to a third or forth party which will not necessarily give an obvious or appropriate answer. 

In proper Military and business correspondence you put the full name of the about to be used Acronym/initials in the text and then enclose the Acronym/initials in brackets) e.g.  "The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)" You can then use the initials NATO from then on in THAT document!

The alternative is to give the description and then the initials  e.g. "The well know Asian motor insurance group/company  MSIG." 

If you do not know the subject matter, in this case an insurance group then Google is not a lot of help.

We can't tailor our responses to 100% of the readers.. some will be below the average knowledge base.

The NATO example is ridiculous reach...    time to get real.   Military correspondence ?? get real again...  the lengths some people go to to justify their argument is astonishing sometimes - this as a public forum... 

Google MSIG - the insurance company is the very first hit... 

When someone states that they've bought an LG phone are they expected explain that LG is LG Corporation, formerly known as Lucky-Goldstar, a South Korean multinational conglomerate ....

Somethings are just obvious.... and I'll agree, MSIG is closer to the lesser known areas of the spectrum it is still and extremely common name - if someone doesn't know something, it doesn't hurt to ask...  Neither does it hurt to explain everything either, but how long would threads be if 'every simple detail' needed an explanation on the off chance people have gaps in their knowledge base. 

I've read hundreds of comments where there is something I'm not sure about, a word, acronym, hotel, province, company etc...  running a search takes seconds...      complaining about having to do so is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

In a topic specifically about breakdown assistance having to explain what MSIG is just not necessary.

What next , in the “ what movies or TV shows are you watching “ , have to explain what BBC stands for ??

I think the real issue is not that Possum didn’t know what the acronym stands for, that could be forgiven, but the way he verbally assaulted the poster who dared to write it in its short form.

A simple “ what does MSIG mean [please] “ would have avoided a lot of off topic discussion on this thread.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think the real issue is not that Possum didn’t know what the acronym stands for, that could be forgiven, but the way he verbally assaulted the poster who dared to write it in its short form.

A simple “ what does MSIG mean [please] “ would have avoided a lot of off topic discussion on this thread.

I agree with the extract I have quoted above above but not the first bit of your post.

I wish people did not take it for granted that the subject and Acronyms that they are using are as familiar to their readers as they are to themselves.  I strongly believe that I should be able to read a post without resorting to things like Google etc and end up with the wrong answer which results in an inaccurate response by me and the subsequent misunderstandings etc, etc!

Meanwhile, back on topic.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

I haven't been able to find a national company yet -

https://allianz-assistance.co.th/roadside-assistance/en/

This was the company that roojai contracted their roadside assist to a few years ago. Used them three times for flat battery, jump-start service. Once in parking at Suvarnabhumi airport, once in Pattaya and the last time up in Udon. All very efficient.

Then I bought a new battery.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I agree with the extract I have quoted above above but not the first bit of your post.

I wish people did not take it for granted that the subject and Acronyms that they are using are as familiar to their readers as they are to themselves.  I strongly believe that I should be able to read a post without resorting to things like Google etc and end up with the wrong answer which results in an inaccurate response by me and the subsequent misunderstandings etc, etc!

I get your point... there is a spectrum of what could be expected to be general knowledge, that varies from subject to subject of course. 

Somewhere in the middle of that spectrum is the 'balance point' beyond which it can be expected that most people would recognise an acronym or company name etc... and below that 'balance point' it can be expected that most people might not.

We can't write every comment and thread to fit the lowest possible common denominator and its ridiculous to expect that. 

Equally so, its perfectly reasonable to expect that people write comments which are readily understandable. 

The issue of course, as we can see here, is when someone does not know they are below that balance point and get upset because something seemingly obvious was not spelled out to them - isn't it easier to just ask rather than getting upset ?

We each use different language and there are sometimes words used which I am not familiar with - I google them. 

I don't get upset with someone for using advanced or complex language and neither do I expect a poster to have to explain every word just in case someone such as myself does not understand their sesquipedalian loquaciousness... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

On 12/10/2023 at 11:10 AM, NoshowJones said:

What is MSIG?? Any chance of stopping your smartphone texting and using the Forum properly?? Or are you just too lazy to type four words??

This embarrassing for you.  The extremely well known insurance company has a four letter abbreviation and they don't actually ever write out the name.  I have another 4 letter word for you followed by "off".  Google is free by the way. 

Screenshot_2023-12-11-15-44-21-639-edit_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

This embarrassing for you.  The extremely well known insurance company has a four letter abbreviation and they don't actually ever write out the name.  I have another 4 letter word for you followed by "off".  Google is free by the way. 

Screenshot_2023-12-11-15-44-21-639-edit_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

And I have a word for you if you would stop hiding behind your keyboard. In fact here it is Coward.