Motorbike Rider Dies after Getting Stuck Under a Minivan in Kata

webfact

image.jpeg

Kata – A motorbike rider has died after he became stuck under a minivan in Kata.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident on Thursday (December 7th) at 6:00 P.M. on the Patak Road in Kata, Mueang Phuket. They arrived at the scene to find the motorbike rider under the minivan on the road. The damaged motorbike was found nearby.

The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation were called to the scene to lift the minivan up. The motorbike rider was then pulled out from under the minivan. The rider, identified by police only as Mr. Chalermphon, 28, from Trang, was later pronounced dead.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2023-12-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Pickup driver too impatient to wait until the road was clear. Motorcyclist going too fast to stop. What could possibly go wrong? And isn't standing in the back of a pickup illegal?

Dead right, pick-up driver just muscling his way across the road, the motorcycle rider going to fast to take appropriate action.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Pickup driver too impatient to wait until the road was clear. Motorcyclist going too fast to stop. What could possibly go wrong? And isn't standing in the back of a pickup illegal?

I also thought crossing double yellow lines, even to make a turn was illegal.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I also thought crossing double yellow lines, even to make a turn was illegal.

They're there for decoration aren't they? Like those nice black and white stripes across the road.

Every time I go out, within minutes I see several people breaking the law in one way or another. Because they can, with impunity, and so people die. I can't imagine how many thousands of people die on Thai roads in a year because there is next to no law enforcement. But nobody cares. Nobody actually cares about anything in Thailand unless it affects them directly.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Always the same problem. Drivers going too fast.

The pick-up truck driver estimated that he had time to make the turn.

Three motorbike riders were able to just slow down for the truck, and the one that was going too fast, came from behind, and was unable to avoid the collision, because of the speed.

Most of the time the speed is the cause....

Exactly that...    the deceased came round the corner quickly, and even when the pickup pulled out the motorcyclists attempted to time his pass rather than slow down...  

While the pickup driver was clearly at fault for pulling across traffic, he nearly hit another bike... 

He also forced other motorcyclists to stop, as another poster mentioned, muscling his way across the road... 

That said, sometimes being assertive is the only way to get anywhere... although, in this case, that degree of 'assertiveness' is excessive and dangerous... I'm sure there was somewhere further down the road where a U-Turn was a much safer option. 

I'd also say the motorcyclist was wholly complicit in his own demise purely because of his speed and the clear intention not to slow down at all. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1