Neigh-saying no more: Horse racing chief urges PM to reopen track after four-year hiatus

webfact

image.jpeg

Sunthorn Paengpairi, head of the Horse Racing Association in Nakhon Ratchasima, appealed to Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin to reopen a local horse racing track which has been closed for four years.

This long-term closure has significantly impacted the livelihood of around 400,000 individuals involved in the industry, leaving them in severe hardship and without means to support their families.

On December 6, Sunthorn submitted a letter to the 61 year old Thai PM and the Finance Minister during their visit to the Pak Chong district in Nakhon Ratchasima. The letter highlighted the plight of the horse racing community, who have been struggling with escalating costs of horse care without any income due to the closure of the Nakhon Ratchasima horse racing track.

The track, located within the Suranaree Army Camp, has been closed since February 28 this year, causing severe hardship for horse breeders. They have been burdened with the increasing costs of looking after the racehorses, which include expenses for food, medication, and daily training. These costs have been mounting while the income from racing has vanished, leaving many in the industry struggling to support their families.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, asf6 said:

"a local horse racing track which has been closed for four years."

"The track, located within the Suranaree Army Camp, has been closed since February 28 this year,"

Four years have passed since February 28 this year? Oh my, how time flies!!

It's a leap year......no wait.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, asf6 said:

"a local horse racing track which has been closed for four years."

"The track, located within the Suranaree Army Camp, has been closed since February 28 this year,"

Four years have passed since February 28 this year? Oh my, how time flies!!

TA DA 📯 Thai math strikes for the third time this week.

5 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Don't know why. Was there two tracks in Bangkok before COVID?

I didn't even know they had horse racing in Bangkok until I saw them going around the track whilst waiting for the BTS.

I had to Google the RBSC, turns out it's the most exclusive club in Thailand. Maybe there's why they don't get many spectators for their racing events.

Or maybe it's the 100-200 baht every fee and the hoity-toity dress code - no jeans and no slippers. That rules me and most of the population out 😂

• Like 1