Really a stupid tax ?

On 12/11/2023 at 7:55 AM, sirineou said:

Have you seen the details? if so please chare.

Even  without the details I can tell you that it is not designed to primarily target expats. 

there are an estimated 3-4 million expats living in Thailand thats 5% of the Thai population. 

If indeed this is designed to increase revenue, as they said, then you go where the money is .

And I suspect that's exactly where they will go

Now if they were lying and  what they actually are trying to do is decrease  revenue  then yes indeed, tax foreign   investment  coming into Thailand. 

The vast majority of that 3-4 million are not "expats" in the sense that is understood by contributors to this forum.

They are foreign workers from neighbouring countries who bring zero foreign money into the country.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Enoon said:

The vast majority of that 3-4 million are not "expats" in the sense that is understood by contributors to this forum.

They are foreign workers from neighbouring countries who bring zero foreign money into the country.

Thank you for that correction.

8 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

They have actually, AFAIK they've said that remittances from overseas income, earned from Jan 1, 2024 must be "factored in" tax returns, in accordance with DTAs. They said that they would modify tax forms accordingly.  So I wouldn't expect anything new until the publication of the 2024 tax return forms.

Still clear as mud. Reading the DTA legalese it's still unclear to me which country you're actually supposed to be taxed in if you're a tax resident in Thailand but receive income that is taxed in your home country because it is derived there.