Four Danish tourists and van driver injured in incident near airport

snoop1130

Danish-van-crash.jpg

On Monday morning at 9:30 am, a group of four Danish tourists and their Thai driver faced a scary accident shortly after arriving at Phuket Airport. The tourists had just touched down in Phuket and rented the van to their accommodation.

Their van, attempting to overtake a pickup truck, collided with a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction. The collision happened on the Muang Mai-Para Road in the Thalang district, not far from the airport.

The crash resulted in all occupants, including the Danish visitors and the local driver, injured and in need of immediate medical attention.

By Peter Roche

Full story: Phuket GO 2023-12-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

There must be a special driving test for public transport drivers....one that specifically turns them into utter idiots!

A narrow road and this idiot overtakes when another vehicle is approaching....

Could easily be the approaching vehicle just entered the road from a driveway or small soi.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Could easily be the approaching vehicle just entered the road from a driveway or small soi.

But was not

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Their van, attempting to overtake a pickup truck, collided with a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You don't know, he could have just got onto the road. Your quote does not state at all how long he was on the road, could have been 5 seconds. 

IT was a BLIND bend so no matter the circumstance he should not have overtaken. 

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

IT was a BLIND bend so no matter the circumstance he should not have overtaken. 

Most likely, very most likely, the van driver was at fault.
But no, that bend is not blind.  And looking at the damage it was not a high speed collision. So either the drivers saw things coming and reduced speed or the vehicle coming from the opposite direction was not yet at speed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Most likely, very most likely, the van driver was at fault.
But no, that bend is not blind.  And looking at the damage it was not a high speed collision. So either the drivers saw things coming and reduced speed or the vehicle coming from the opposite direction was not yet at speed.

Are you blind? of course its a blind bend when sat behind a wheel and not an elevated photo from a distance. keep trying though

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Are you blind? of course its a blind bend when sat behind a wheel and not an elevated photo from a distance. keep trying though

Go and have a look there. It's not a blind bend.
FYI, I avoid that road but if somehow I end up there I don't overtake, a dangerous road IMO.

Edited by stevenl

Don't use Vans in Thailand, there are so many examples of the drivers driving like dangerous morons... 

Kwilco will be along to tell me that I'm being racist, that I don't understand about traffic accidents because he's studied it... and that if I think this driver is a dangerous idiot for overtaking into oncoming traffic then I need to evaluate my own road use and that iIm clinging on to archaic dysfunctional perceptions that cloud my understanding of road safety...  

I know where he can place his apologist rhetoric... 

When a driver overtakes with an oncoming vehicle - they are a dangerous, idiotic moron. 

This happens more in Thailand than it does in the countries many of us come from - There are more dangerous idiots on the roads in Thailand than exist in many of our home nations. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Go and have a look there. It's not a blind bend.
FYI, I avoid that road but if somehow I end up there I don't overtake, a dangerous road IMO.

Its some what moot isn't it... 

Either the driver overtook on a blind bend...   Dangerous idiot. 

Or, the driver overtook knowingly into oncoming traffic... Dangerous idiot. 

Or, the driver wasn't looking when he overtook into oncoming traffic... Dangerous idiot. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I wonder if the powers that be realize that these types of stupid accidents caused by untrained drivers affect Thailand's "image" just as much, if not more, than criminal activities, etc.

The average tourist has no idea of the dangers of travelling in LOS!

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or, the driver wasn't looking when he overtook into oncoming traffic... Dangerous idiot. 

Yes, idiot in all those cases.
There is however a 4th possibilty, the car he collided with came from a sideroad or soi without looking for overtaking traffic.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Yes, idiot in all those cases.
There is however a 4th possibilty, the car he collided with came from a sideroad or soi without looking for overtaking traffic.

Or, the driver overtook near a junction / drive way / entrance... Dangerous idiot. 

I don't see a scenario where the van driver isn't a dangerous idiot putting the lives at public at risk.

Edited by richard_smith237

10 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

There must be a special driving test for public transport drivers....one that specifically turns them into utter idiots!

A narrow road and this idiot overtakes when another vehicle is approaching....

Thai driving test qn#1;

Q:  When is it safe to overtake?

A:  When the car/truck/bus in front overtakes.

Correct....go to Qn#2....When is it safe to....

Oh! Never Mind. Off you go to have your photo taken.🙃🙃