China’s outbound tourism surges due to strategic visa policies and AI use

webfact

I am on the ground now in Bangkok, and have never seen so many Chinese tourists, even before the pandemic. 

The numbers are just of the charts. 

No one is going to tell me the numbers are down anymore. Some areas of Sukhumvit are now unsustainable to be in. Over the weekend i just had to leave. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

I am on the ground now in Bangkok, and have never seen so many Chinese tourists, even before the pandemic. 

The numbers are just of the charts. 

No one is going to tell me the numbers are down anymore. Some areas of Sukhumvit are now unsustainable to be in. Over the weekend i just had to leave. 

It's been reported before that it is the lower end price sensitive tour group end of the Chinese market that is most affected by their domestic economic squeeze and higher cost of travel, I think those groups are historically more concentrated in the resort cities like Pattaya and I'm certainly not seeing any evidence of an upsurge in Pattaya since they introduced the visa concessions. Perhaps what you're seeing in Bangkok is more of the independent travel segment of the market. I hardly think Thailand would understate their arrival figures and they've so far given no indication a large increase in overall Chinese numbers is happening currently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite the brief interval between the waiver announcement and the onset of China’s Golden Week holiday, outbound travel to Thailand during this period saw an unprecedented increase, with volumes rising to 1,121%, more than 11 times the volume seen last year.

Not so difficult to realize, when you consider last year Chinese weren't allowed to travel and there were no flights either.

So it was a 1,121% increase of zero

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

It's been reported before that it is the lower end price sensitive tour group end of the Chinese market that is most affected by their domestic economic squeeze and higher cost of travel, I think those groups are historically more concentrated in the resort cities like Pattaya and I'm certainly not seeing any evidence of an upsurge in Pattaya since they introduced the visa concessions. Perhaps what you're seeing in Bangkok is more of the independent travel segment of the market. I hardly think Thailand would understate their arrival figures and they've so far given no indication a large increase in overall Chinese numbers is happening currently.

Once the month is out - you'll see reports of record high number of Chinese tourists for this December. 

Those on the ground here in central tourist areas are saying the same things - the numbers of chinese tourists around are extremly high. I personally never seen numbers this high before. 

Couldn't cross the road to my condo today, as the lane was blocked with Chinese tour busses. Out came the flag leader leading them to a hotel. 

At the mall today, i saw 4-5 flag wavers leading huge groups around the mall (mind they weren't buying anything). On the streets too, very high numbers. 

We had a great few years, but they're back. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Haha 1

Just now, DonniePeverley said:

At the mall today, i saw 4-5 flag wavers leading huge groups around the mall (mind they weren't buying anything).

At the VAT refund counters at the airport, I only see Chinese. That means they are buying.  I also see Russians packed in the post office, sending winter clothes and shoes to Russia. 

37 minutes ago, Celsius said:

We have white men "on the ground", folks!

Counting the flags.... counting the busses.

Some stellar reporting here on asean now.

I'll bring this post up when we get the next update from TAT. It's not simply looking locally ... the sheer volume of numbers is hard to miss.