Thailand to move away from foreign tourism and rely more on home travellers in the latest TAT masterplan

webfact

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

whats your point?

the chinese numbers are down.

Nobody cares about Thailand anymore.

My point is that UK tourists spending on Walking Street doesn't count for anything as far as the Thai economy or international tourism is concerned. Your observation is anecdotal and myopic at best.

But yes, 28 million international tourists is not as many as pre-covid but it's still an extremely respectable number.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, bob smith said:

Western Tourists.

It's not just brits that get pissed on walking street.

So now you are discounting the entire western tourism market as insignificant in Thailand?

Is there a new level of stupidity that you have attained that I am yet to hear of?

Back on my list you go, goodbye.

54 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

You don't know any more than I do, which segment of the Thai population is most over indebted but we can guess. Is it the rural poor or is it the middle classes that have jobs and assets, hmmm, tricky that one! 

Here's the breakdown on that Consumer debt, note that which is not collateralized:

https://app.bot.or.th/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=891&language=ENG

I'm going to guess that the Household Debt figure is spread pretty evenly over all Thai society, save for the truly hi-so types.

I don't think it's the rural poor driving all of those Mercs, BMWs and Audis. Repossession numbers are at record levels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Captor said:

Just fix the air pollution and the tourists will come back. Why do tourists want to travel with family to a country with dangerous air?

Look like TAT don't want see the elephant in the room

While I agree in recognizing a problem ... "just fix the air pollution"? As if a Thai policy alone can make it all go away?

1 minute ago, Walker88 said:

I'm going to guess that the Household Debt figure is spread pretty evenly over all Thai society, save for the truly hi-so types.

I don't think it's the rural poor driving all of those Mercs, BMWs and Audis. Repossession numbers are at record levels.

Once again, cars and real estate are collateralized loans, personal lending is unsecured. How many people in Western countries don't borrow to buy a car or a house, that level of lending is typical middle class and is much less of an issue than lending to the impoverished poor.

And whilst you may guess that lending is spread evenly, I guess you would be quite wrong, as far unsecured lending is concerned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

A friend of ours works for one of the biggest car finance companies here in Thailand and she says business is well down as they are declining so many applicants, and staff are being laid off, 

• Like 2

High end tourism is booming globally. The world’s travelling population is very much “on the move.”  Thailand is simply too hard and too expensive to get to and from with a limited number of seats at scalper’s prices. TG too is wallowing in incompetence and is only flying the long haul, more profitable, international routes. Short haul routes would fill hotels and resorts fast. 

4 hours ago, 2baht said:

Was it not foreign tourism that signaled a shift away from Thailand? :whistling:

Everyone wants to blame the Thais.

Couldn't possibly be the huge jump in airfares or the cost of living crisis that has deterred western tourists.

Hotel accommodation in Pattaya is at a much higher occupancy than I would have expected under the circumstances. If I remember right about 6 weeks ago both Agoda and Booking .com were saying about 87%.

Historically domestic tourism has been about 8% and foreign about 12% of GDP, shouldn't be too difficult to reverse the figures.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Couldn't possibly be the huge jump in airfares or the cost of living crisis that has deterred western tourists.

I seriously doubt this is what TAT is having a masterplan meltdown about. Thailand hitched their donkey cart to the mighty Celestial Engine. Only to have that mighty engine start chugging & wheezing, with serious and potentially long term economic problems. In a bad economy you change your travel plans & those coveted celestial tourists dry up. Thailand is up against it now, however this is last thing TAT or Thailand can publicly admit. Blaming it on naughty influencers or negative press in China seems the only option permitted. 

Now lets crank up local tourism. :biggrin:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

hapanee Kiatpaiboon, faces a challenging role as she guides the country’s tourism industry in the aftermath of the pandemic era

Might have made it easier if you hadn't destroyed it with unscientific policies such as lockdowns and quarantines!  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Historically domestic tourism has been about 8% and foreign about 12% of GDP, shouldn't be too difficult to reverse the figures.

Really? How? I doubt TAT knows, so they would likely welcome your input on How To.

Let's say that domestic tourist isn't among the cash strapped, high Household Debt demographic, but is true Thai Middle Class. What is Thai Middle Class income relative to a European, American, Japanese, etc.? A reversal will make up for the loss of those with much higher average income?

Is Phitsanulok more of a draw for a vacationing Middle Class Thai than Vietnam, KL or Hong Kong?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Facing a 40% decline overall in revenues from 2019, rejection from Chinese tourists and lack of former enthusiasm from Western travellers, Thailand’s tourism industry seeks a new direction.

Maybe Western travelers would have shown more "enthusiasm" if something had been done for them - specifically for those who are willing and able to stay longer.

Russians currently get 90-day visa exempt entries. The same was considered for Western travelers, but that proposal didn't seem to get anywhere. With the shoddy eVisa system in place, it remains a hassle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

International media has been full of poisonous air stories for a couple of years now, and it seems unlikely this half-baked government, controlled by forces we can't discuss and the major corporations that define their 'policies' will do much about it. In most places on planet Earth, it would be a national disaster, but here, they form a committee and pass the odd law nobody enforces while the appointed PM hangs out in Tokyo and California. Who, in their right mind, would bring their loved ones to Thailand? 

Edited by Snig27
  • Like 1

With the influx of drunken Russians mowing down Americans on motorbikes and paying off the police in Chalong and the movies telling the Chinks there not safe along with a criminal X PM that seems to be running this country again from behind bars,,Ohsorry the local hospital and the losses in the economic world it seems that Thailand is on the brink of failure but not everything is bad just think now the local police can shake down other thais for their bribe money on the side of the road. Looking great. What's all the fuss about?? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

Who, in their right mind, would bring their loved ones to Thailand? 

I never wanted anyone to bring their "loved ones" to Thailand, as they usually went to Pattaya and are ruining the place. They should all be required to go to Phuket which is already ruined a long time ago.