Pattaya Hua Hin ferry

Wongkitlo

And the 35 expressway pretty much doesn't exist anymore going thru Samut Sakhon.ย  All traffic goes through the frontage road and goes down to 1 lane in a couple of spots plus in some areas cars parking in the left lane effectively making it 1 lane in those areas too.

ย 

This is while they are building the elevated expressway to go from Bangkok to Huahin.ย  Looks like a couple more years of construction.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Barstool BS.

ย 

The ferry failed because it wasn't practical, and misrun.ย  Don't even think it had a refund policy for it's multiple cancellations.ย  Wasn't inexpensive and simply took too long.ย  Piers being an issue also.

ย 

Really no market as who lives in Patts, and wants to visit HH, and visa versa.ย  Two completely different markets.ย ย 

I think you were a bit hasty on calling the rumour BS. The cruise ship that docked there didn't have an easy time.

However your points on the ferry are more than valid, in particular the piers.

A couple of years ago we drove over to HH with a friend who was staying in Pattaya and he decided to come back on the ferry. The day before leaving we went looking for the pier whch according to Google was near the centre, only to find it was about 5 miles out of town. Following day we took him out to the ferry before leaving and once there it was ok. He just parked himself in the bar and waited for it to go.

Could see it as quite an uncomfortable cab ride and too much hassle for those unfamiliar with local ways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Barstool BS.

ย 

The ferry failed because it wasn't practical, and misrun.ย  Don't even think it had a refund policy for it's multiple cancellations.ย  Wasn't inexpensive and simply took too long.ย  Piers being an issue also.

ย 

Really no market as who lives in Patts, and wants to visit HH, and visa versa.ย  Two completely different markets.ย ย 

I agree it was too expensive, but completely different market it isn't. It is somewhat different. HH is about 30 % more expensive, so fewer cheap Charlies, but there is a bar scene, a lot smaller of course, in HH too. Lots of expats in both cities.ย 

Kind of curious. I haven't been in HH for a couple of years. Do they have as many Russians as Phuket and Pattaya?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Kind of curious. I haven't been in HH for a couple of years. Do they have as many Russians as Phuket and Pattaya?

Couldn't say, as I really don't notice nationalities, when on Phuket or at Hua Hin.ย  I don't do bars, so I wouldn't hear them speaking.ย  I go to restaurants that cater to locals.

ย 

Can't say I've notice many, at the Bluport or Market Village malls @ HH.ย  Haven't been to Patts in well over a decade.ย  ย Just came back from Chanthaburi & Trat, and made a special point to bypass Patts.ย  Though faster routing bypassed it anyway.

ย 

Nothing there that would interest me, except maybe the 'worlds largest 7-11', and from the photos, it's just a tad bigger, with a big A$$ boat design.ย  ย Largest part simply comes from the 2nd floor dining area.

ย 

Not worth the extra hour it would have taken ...ย :laugh:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The dead hand of corruption poisons everything it touches in the end and kills innovation.

ย 

This may well be true, but the truth in this instance is far more mundane.ย ย 

ย 

Lack of demand and high overhead.ย ย 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Barstool BS.

ย 

ย 

Actually, I who visit Pattaya regularly, would love to take a small side-trip on a ferry to HH.ย  Last time I visited HH was when driving, with a friend from Patts - BKK - Phuket. We did a "comfort stop" at HH and I thought I'd like to spend a couple of days there. Just don't fancy the bus to BKK and then HH and back. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

ย 

6 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

Give it a few years Hua Hin will be like Pattaya with all the new roads and rail they are building here.

ย 

Very true. It's changed beyond recognition since I first visited 13 years ago. In terms of crowding and congestion it already matches Pattaya at the weekend and on holidays.

ย 

Both places are set to become suburbs of Bangkok over the next 20 or so years once the hi-speed rail links, improved roads and the urban/industrial spread have consolidated into another Asian mega-city. Administratively it will become inevitable.

ย 

Still, it's a shame about the ferry.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I drive to Krung Thep at least once a month, and 35 has never gone down to one lane, or restricted to the frontage road.

It definitely was when I drove home from Bangkok to Ratchaburi Wednesday night.ย ย 

20 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I agree it was too expensive, but completely different market it isn't. It is somewhat different. HH is about 30 % more expensive, so fewer cheap Charlies, but there is a bar scene, a lot smaller of course, in HH too. Lots of expats in both cities.ย 

I was in HH a few months ago, at an upscale resort.

ย 

What struck me were the guests from Bangkok: gay boys and gay girls. Lots.

21 hours ago, champers said:

There is a direct bus from North Pattaya bus station; journey time is about 5 hours.

A few years back we got a lift to the airport and took the Bell Travel bus from there. Bit more than a normal bus but being a 24 seater a lot more comfortable.ย 

Think they also do direct coach(RRC) from Pattaya to HH but only once a day.

On 12/16/2023 at 8:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

Been gone for a long time and it's a crying shame because alternatives to getting on those clogged highways is desperately needed at this time and yet there seem to be a complete absence of creative minds at the leadership level, who are coming up with alternative means of thansport. How about small plane and helicopter rides from Hua Hin to Pattaya? Why is Hua Hin one of the least utilized airports in SE Asia? What would that be a 30-minute flight?ย 

ย 

Come on guys you could be doing a lot better than this.ย 

I flew from Pattaya to hua hin. You can do it on a private flight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, digbeth said:

with the dual track project completed, which includes removals of many level crossings, the trains times is much improved, definitely beats the roads at peak timesย 

Patts has train service to BKK, not sure how convenient, times & station are.ย  HH station (old) is very convenient and walking distance to surfside and most things city wise that interst.

ย 

Patts even has aย rapidย train on weekends, or use to.ย  Worth checking out.

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Patts has train service to BKK, not sure how convenient, times & station are

ย 

Last time I checked, which was a few years ago, there was 1 train per day, very early in the morning, and the scheduled journey time was about 4 or 5 hours.

ย 

The station is not anywhere near as convenient as Hua Hin, but I'm sure there will be the standard selection of taxis and wins when arriving; and of course these days there's always Bolt/Grab.