Why do people hate golf?

Lacessit

1 minute ago, stoner said:

getting good at golf requires more than most are able to put into it. becoming great at golf requires the total package. the focus and patience either make or break most.

on the subject of size. i am around 5 10 and 70 to 72 kilo. small for a foreigner. anyway a few years back i won a long drive contest at a tournament back home. when i went up to collect the prize some scoffed and i got a few comments saying how it was impossible a guy my size could hit like that.

346 yards off the tee won the long drive :)

I'll bet the adrenaline was flowing freely when you hit the winning drive.

Chi Chi Rodriguez is 5 foot 7 inches, 68 kg. On the PGA tour, he could keep up with much bigger players with a novel stance and swing. He won 8 PGA events, and 22 on the senior tour.

I never hated golf. Played it quite a bit in my earlier years (15-30.)

Problem was I played the bestest cover drives on the golf course.

Luckily enuff I was a wristy cricketer so putting the ball over the pickets (despite a lean stature), was never a prob.🙃🙃

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

People don't hate golf. But non-golfers get mightily annoyed with golfers that bang on continuously about their last round or their yardage with the latest Taylormade  driver.

Don't ask me about ardent stamp collectors.:coffee1:

actually i use big bertha driver thank you very much. jealous much ? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

The reason I never liked golf is because it seemed odd playing alone for some reason. I felt like just wandering off or going hiking or mountain biking.

I like things I can just get up and do at any time without planning, rather then scheduling to meet people.

I can play alone, or in company.

The only plan I have here when playing alone is to hit off at first light, because it is cooler.

I am actually never alone, there is always a caddie to talk to.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, stoner said:

getting good at golf requires more than most are able to put into it. becoming great at golf requires the total package. the focus and patience either make or break most.

on the subject of size. i am around 5 10 and 70 to 72 kilo. small for a foreigner. anyway a few years back i won a long drive contest at a tournament back home. when i went up to collect the prize some scoffed and i got a few comments saying how it was impossible a guy my size could hit like that.

346 yards off the tee won the long drive :)

I am 5'8" and at the time about 70 kg when I won a longest drive contest. Sure a couple guys out drove me but they were not in bounds.

I missed winning closest to the pin during that same 'best ball' tournament by mere inches.

1 minute ago, Lucky Bones said:

I never hated golf. Played it quite a bit in my earlier years (15-30.)

Problem was I played the bestest cover drives on the golf course.

Luckily enuff I was a wristy cricketer so putting the ball over the pickets (despite a lean stature), was never a prob.🙃🙃

Your problems will surface when you are in your sixties, and some tearaway is hurling 145 km thunderbolts at you.

Golf can be played by a 10 yo or a 90 yo.

3 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I am 5'8" and at the time about 70 kg when I won a longest drive contest. Sure a couple guys out drove me but they were not in bounds.

I missed winning closest to the pin during that same 'best ball' tournament by mere inches.

nice. 

there was a semi pro at our dinner who was a little sulky. 

2 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

A beautiful walk spoiled by a small white ball.  That's how it was for my limited golf life.  Now I just take relaxing beautiful walks and feel much better ;-)

Paraphrasing Leon Wilson, and validating the assertion of my OP.

part of it is golf is expensive and perceived as an elitist sport.

low intensity exercise for long periods like walking on a golf course for 18 rounds is quite good for cardio health. 

a lot of guys hate tennis too because they think it's a girly sport. who the hell is stupid enough to play a contact sport at an advanced age? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

The reason I never liked golf is because it seemed odd playing alone for some reason. I felt like just wandering off or going hiking or mountain biking.

I like things I can just get up and do at any time without planning, rather then scheduling to meet people.

I worked a 3rd shift (night shift) for many years when I was younger. That shift had many benefits. One was the ability to play nearly any local golf course without having the need for a tee time. I would go sign in as a single and almost immediately I would be paired up with other players, a threesome, twosome, or just another single. 

In any case I never played alone and doing so I met many great folks and a few new close friends.

The downside playing with complete strangers is that my real golf buddies didn't believe that I made an eagle (par 4, in 2).

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

part of it is golf is expensive and perceived as an elitist sport.

low intensity exercise for long periods like walking on a golf course for 18 rounds is quite good for cardio health. 

It used to have that image. 60 million people play golf, putting it at #10.

It's only expensive if one insists on the latest equipment and the most prestigious golf club memberships.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

It used to have that image. 60 million people play golf, putting it at #10.

It's only expensive if one insists on the latest equipment and the most prestigious golf club memberships.

I am guessing Tiger Woods helped popularize it because he had a "cool factor". Maybe most other golfers weren't cool enough to draw kids in. Kids need role models to get hooked on a sport. 

9 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

a lot of guys hate tennis too because they think it's a girly sport. who the hell is stupid enough to play a contact sport at an advanced age? 

Not me. I gave up contact sports in my thirties.

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

I am guessing Tiger Woods helped popularize it because he had a "cool factor". Maybe most other golfers weren't cool enough to draw kids in. Kids need role models to get hooked on a sport. 

IMO Arnold Palmer was before him, as he had an everyman persona, and was not afraid to take on risky shots.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, freeworld said:

The most boring least strenuous sport and full of the players I see and came into contact with were the most narcissistic egotistical people ever.

Played a few times when younger and never again.

I have played with real gentlemen, average people, a few mongrels.

The mongrels tend to weed themselves out of golf after a while, because no-one wants to play with them.

• Thumbs Up 2