Why do people hate golf?

Lacessit

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

i get why retired people like it as a lower athletic level past time.

I agree, many are lazy and use carts and don't do proper exercise but it's a high skill sport, very difficult, tests mental skills including handling highs and lows, similar to life

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, many are lazy and use carts and don't do proper exercise but it's a high skill sport, very difficult, tests mental skills including handling highs and lows, similar to life

Agreed - a minute to learn and a lifetime to master!
I will say it thrills and frustrates me in equal measure; there's nothing like hitting a pure drive straight down the middle of the fairway only to shank your next into the water, but it's an excellent test of character and temperament. I also really enjoy the social side of it all - out there with 3 /4 good mates, a few beers and plenty of banter. A great way to spend some quality time with people you really like that doesn't involve propping up a bar.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Well since Rory’s McIlroy's longest drive is 427 yards and the world record is 515 yards, I think I’m going to call BS on your “longest shot @ 440 yards”. 
However, an exaggeration is always a golfers prerogative 😉

To be fair, a downhill fairway, following wind, and sun-hit course with a hard clay base under light couch grass would assist distance in various ways.

Titanic Thompson was a golf hustler back in the days when there were only hickory-shafted clubs and gutta-percha golf balls. An expert player could achieve 200 yards with a drive.

He once bet a mark he could drive a ball 500 yards, a wager which was gleefully accepted. Thompson teed the ball up on the edge of a frozen lake, and made the required distance easily.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

To be fair, a downhill fairway, following wind, and sun-hit course with a hard clay base under light couch grass would assist distance in various ways.

Titanic Thompson was a golf hustler back in the days when there were only hickory-shafted clubs and gutta-percha golf balls. An expert player could achieve 200 yards with a drive.

He once bet a mark he could drive a ball 500 yards, a wager which was gleefully accepted. Thompson teed the ball up on the edge of a frozen lake, and made the required distance easily.

I don't want to belittle the poster but I've been playing for a long time and on a VERY good day my best drive is 280 yards. It's of course possible that he hit rock hard ground on a downhill fairway with a following wind that carried his ball to 440 yards but for a self confessed beginner, that's some very specific conditions to achieve that kind of distance.

Of course it's possible; it's just not probable.

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

I don't want to belittle the poster but I've been playing for a long time and on a VERY good day my best drive is 280 yards. It's of course possible that he hit rock hard ground on a downhill fairway with a following wind that carried his ball to 440 yards but for a self confessed beginner, that's some very specific conditions to achieve that kind of distance.

Of course it's possible; it's just not probable.

also don't forget doglegs that's how they get the huge distances, ball goes a lot less than the official distance

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nope, just a natural reaction when people have a very low skill level so stick to purely exercise instead

Nope, just a natural comforting reaction when people have a very low thinking skill level, owing to lack of practice, so stick to purely superficial simple-mindedness instead.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2023 at 8:42 AM, Lacessit said:

I've been playing golf for more than 60 years.

AFAIK it is still the only exercise recommended by doctors for cardiac patients.

Not the most strenuous exercise; however, it is still a walk of 8 - 10 km.

Golf is a metaphor for life. It tests character, focus and muscle memory.

Unlike other sports, which sometimes favor a particular physical type, golf can be played by all shapes and sizes. Small golfers have been known to beat bigger opponents.

Golf does not tolerate cheating. Golfers who do cheat get ostracized.

There are people who hate golf, or call it a silly game.

IME those people have never played golf. Or they tried it, and realized they would never be remotely competent at it.

What about the people who use electric carts to travel about while playing golf? They may as well just stick to their pub games like snooker and darts, note I said games, not sport. At least walking while playing golf is giving you exercise.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Best to avoid those types, some golfers are able to recall every shot post round, not even golfers are interested in that

Cricket and horse racing is fun because of the drink but you aren't participating like golf, presumably you weren't very good at golf? did you get a handicap?

I wasn't very good at golf. I used to quite enjoy hacking around but found the game very frustrating. I thought I was doing exactly the same thing for two identical shots but with wildly different outcomes.

My friend who was quite able and played off 5 said I had one of the best swings he had ever seen. Don't count for much though when you can't get the ball to go where you want it to. 

I stick with watching it on TV now with a financial interest to make it more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I agree. We did night golf at Panya last week and got stuck behind 2 X 5 balls for what was a torturous 6 hours! I do despair at the golf etiquette of some Asian golfers though who seem to have never heard of the phrase 'play through'. 

Not confined to Asian golfers at all.  Almost totally gone from golfing etiquette, but ahppens occasioanly - and I have probably been invited t play through more often here by Aisians than by farangs.

PH

On 12/16/2023 at 9:09 AM, Lacessit said:

We usually bang on about our last round with other golfers. We would not waste that narrative on people who don't understand it.

Don't be so sure - my father, who was average, not a great golfer would re-hash every stroke over dinner... even bad golfers can hit a drive out of sight... going going gone - and I think it makes them feel powerful and proud to hit a little ball so far... I would play with him once a year and found it boring in comparison to the team sports I played 

On 12/16/2023 at 8:42 AM, Lacessit said:

I've been playing golf for more than 60 years.

AFAIK it is still the only exercise recommended by doctors for cardiac patients.

Not the most strenuous exercise; however, it is still a walk of 8 - 10 km.

Golf is a metaphor for life. It tests character, focus and muscle memory.

Unlike other sports, which sometimes favor a particular physical type, golf can be played by all shapes and sizes. Small golfers have been known to beat bigger opponents.

Golf does not tolerate cheating. Golfers who do cheat get ostracized.

There are people who hate golf, or call it a silly game.

IME those people have never played golf. Or they tried it, and realized they would never be remotely competent at it.

???? And where is your point or even question???🥺

• Agree 1

I play golf for 40 years. 20 in Thailand. golf has changed: 5, 6, 7 flights. 5, 6, 7 hours turnaround. using carts. dress code (including muscleshirts), alcohol and zigaretts on course, overweight etc.

with 75 now, I decided to play alone on my local golf course. early morning, no caddie. just the nature, the ball and me. 2h15 for 18 holes. satisfaction pure.

14 minutes ago, praguecr said:

Golf is ok. I'll take Squash or Racquetball any day of the week over golf. Much more fun and a far better work out.

How many people in their seventies can play squash or racquetball without having a heart attack?

1 hour ago, Toby1947 said:

As Winston Churchill said it spoils a good walk.🤣😂. Grown men walking around a field knocking little balls into holes a sport ! come on 

It was not Churchill who first made that quote!

It was long thought the quote, “Golf is a good walk Spoiled” was thought to be from Mark Twain but it actually came from a book published in 1905 by Leon Wilson. 

https://www.golfcontentnetwork.com/golf/golf-life-and-a-good-walk-sometimes-spoiled/#:~:text=It was long thought the,an average round of golf.

On 12/16/2023 at 2:42 PM, Lacessit said:

There are people who hate golf,

I don't think they hate golf per se. IMO it's more that they hate some of the sort of people that play golf. I'm not making any personal comments here about anyone that plays golf, and the nicest man I ever knew played golf.

I'm talking about the rich fat cats that many dislike that play golf.

Personally I think it's probably the most boring game on the planet after cricket and tennis, and I don't understand why competitions attract so many spectators.