Johns Bar Reopened

jonwilly

21 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Patience big boy.  He did not post that long ago.

The people who observed him not breathing for significant periods of time.

The OP says nothing about his death!

I understood that John's Place closed because of the COVID restrictions/downturn of trade and have heard and seen nothing about his alleged death!

Where/when did you see/hear that "people who observed him not breathing for significant periods of time"?

A few years ago I arranged to meet a friend of mine in John's bar. He was nowhere to be seen. I went to the bar and asked the bar service girl if anyone had seen my friend Michael Hunt. She said she hadn't but would ask the customers. She shouted out " Has anyone seen Mike Hunt.

Apparently many people put their hand up.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Just seen a you tubers video from across the moat at Tapae Gate and I could not see my old haunt the Beer Stube.

Sadly that went after some 35 years plus. The landlord hiked the rent so much it became unprofitable. I was invited to go se their new place just off the Mahidol road.

23 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

John is still kicking

Thank you and thank God/Buddha that he is still with us. I was sure he was still with us as the death of someone of his standing in the CM community would surely have been public knowledge!

I think it is totally wrong for people like @Nick Carter icpto state that someone is dead without some sort of back up statement especially when asked about it!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, jimn said:

A few years ago I arranged to meet a friend of mine in John's bar. He was nowhere to be seen. I went to the bar and asked the bar service girl if anyone had seen my friend Michael Hunt. She said she hadn't but would ask the customers. She shouted out " Has anyone seen Mike Hunt.

Apparently many people put their hand up.

Was it Michael Hunt Grady?

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I think it is totally wrong for people like @Nick Carter icpto state that someone is dead without some sort of back up statement especially when asked about it!

I think that its totally wrong for you to falsely accuse me of saying such things .

I never said that he had died .

Couldn't you even be bothered to look back through the thread and at least mention the right person .

You are getting me mixed up with someone else 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Bierstube was a bit of an institution back in the day. I used to lob in there regularly after an early morning run for breakfast.

I can always remember those drunken afternoons stranded in there during the wet season.

Standing ankle deep in water with the cockroaches running along the bar with no place to go.. much like myself.

John's Place's old building was a bit of a landmark.

Lots of history along that stretch of Moonmuang Rd.  Does anybody remember Chiang Mai's version of Thermae?   aka THE PEACOCK COFFEE SHOP on the street level of the old Montri Hotel. All the (bar) girls from the Night Bazaar and Moonmuang area would go there for after hour drinks and whatever.

You would always run into the regulars..  girls from THE KAREN HUT, Stuart's OASIS BAR, THE BLACK CAT, THE BIG BEER BAR, hell.. there was even the waitress there from the HUNGRY HORSE restaurant.  There were girls from the HEART COCKTAIL LOUNGE and THE BLUE SKY BAR which was next to the old CHIANG INN hotel (behind the 'actual' NIGHT BAZAAR complex.

Loi Kroh Rd had no bars whatsoever.

It was the late night walking route from the night Bazaar back to the moat. Nothing along there except for the sound of wind chimes at the Temple and the odd motorcycle with a katoey asking if you want a ride(?)

The only bars were at the corner of Kotchasarn Rd, Ba ba bo bo on one corner and that Irish place on the other corner where you had to sign the book (?).  Linda Bar (I think) was the next to open in the late 80's or early 90's.

Sadly a lot of the aforementioned places are gone so that's why it's good to see John's Place continue!

*Footnote -  back then I was "living" in the Anodard Hotel. The lady (Sajee) who used to play the piano accordion in the hotel's coffee shop actually opened the very first bar in Soi Cowboy.

10 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I think that its totally wrong for you to falsely accuse me of saying such things .

I never said that he had died .

Couldn't you even be bothered to look back through the thread and at least mention the right person .

You are getting me mixed up with someone else 

:sorry:

My apologies it was @steven100 who implied that he was dead!

• Haha 1

The New Johns Bar is just up the road from Jphns old place. Stand outside the Old bar and look north Big sign you cant miss it.

According tp Johns Wife John is still alive, aged 80 ish.

Seems to atract a fair size crowed, most where having a meal as was I.

john