Johns Bar Reopened

jonwilly

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 4:52 AM, bangkok19 said:

The Bierstube was a bit of an institution back in the day. I used to lob in there regularly after an early morning run for breakfast.

I can always remember those drunken afternoons stranded in there during the wet season.

Standing ankle deep in water with the cockroaches running along the bar with no place to go.. much like myself.

John's Place's old building was a bit of a landmark.

Lots of history along that stretch of Moonmuang Rd.  Does anybody remember Chiang Mai's version of Thermae?   aka THE PEACOCK COFFEE SHOP on the street level of the old Montri Hotel. All the (bar) girls from the Night Bazaar and Moonmuang area would go there for after hour drinks and whatever.

You would always run into the regulars..  girls from THE KAREN HUT, Stuart's OASIS BAR, THE BLACK CAT, THE BIG BEER BAR, hell.. there was even the waitress there from the HUNGRY HORSE restaurant.  There were girls from the HEART COCKTAIL LOUNGE and THE BLUE SKY BAR which was next to the old CHIANG INN hotel (behind the 'actual' NIGHT BAZAAR complex.

Loi Kroh Rd had no bars whatsoever.

It was the late night walking route from the night Bazaar back to the moat. Nothing along there except for the sound of wind chimes at the Temple and the odd motorcycle with a katoey asking if you want a ride(?)

The only bars were at the corner of Kotchasarn Rd, Ba ba bo bo on one corner and that Irish place on the other corner where you had to sign the book (?).  Linda Bar (I think) was the next to open in the late 80's or early 90's.

Sadly a lot of the aforementioned places are gone so that's why it's good to see John's Place continue!

*Footnote -  back then I was "living" in the Anodard Hotel. The lady (Sajee) who used to play the piano accordion in the hotel's coffee shop actually opened the very first bar in Soi Cowboy.

It sounds like it was a hub for after-hours rendezvous and shared moments among the regulars from various bars.