Erroneous English signboard at Trang airport rectified following social media uproar

snoop1130

Trang-airport.jpg

An incorrect English translation on a signboard leading to Trang Airport has been rectified following public criticism. The sign, which was meant to point towards the airport, was found to be using the Karaoke language style in its English translation. It should have read Trang Airport, but instead it was written as THAAGRAD SAYAITHANG. The error has now been corrected, with the incorrect sign being removed.

On visiting the location in Nayong, Trang, our correspondent discovered that the sign had already been removed, leaving only the post by the roadside. According to locals, the sign had been in place for many years. However, it was only removed around noon today, presumably for replacement following its exposure on social media, reported KhaoSod.

Upon further investigation of other signboards on the same route leading to Trang Airport, it was found that all other signs correctly used the term Trang Airport in their English translation.

Our correspondent reached out to officials from the Trang Provincial Administrative Organisation’s engineering department who confirmed that the road in question was originally a rural highway built in 1992. In 2008, responsibility for the road was transferred to the Trang Provincial Administrative Organisation. While the Organisation has been maintaining the road surface, it admitted to not having noticed the error on the signboard until it was shared on social media. The problematic sign was subsequently removed.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Karaoke style- Do they mean phonetic?

Kind of.

Thai2English uses: "tâa aa-gàat-sà-yaan" (compare that with "THAAGRAD SAYAI" :biggrin:

"agrad" makes no sense at all. Not even a silent "r" in Thai script.

Call it garbage.

• Thanks 1

What does someone do when they do not have a life? They become a netizen who spends their days blaming, being outraged, being a victim, pointing out what they consider to be the mistakes of others, being highly critical, and taking no responsibility for their own lives. They can't. They are too busy focused on the life of others. They don't have a life.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I think they mean transliterated.  As in the way Thai language karaoke has transliterated text so we foreign devils can still embarrass ourselves.  @KhunBENQ The "R" comes from the long tone of the sara aa- it's mispelled.  They used "agrad" instead of "agard".

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What does someone do when they do not have a life? They become a netizen who spends their days blaming, being outraged, being a victim, pointing out what they consider to be the mistakes of others, being highly critical, and taking no responsibility for their own lives. They can't. They are too busy focused on the life of others. They don't have a life.

I couldn't agree more, the curse of facebook etc and those addicted to it  has a lot to answer for

The weird thing is I can't find any mention of Uproar or Outrage either in the OP or the linked article , it merely mentions that is was "shared".  

Whilst I am sure that it does happen  occasionally  (tits out at Songkran etc etc )    The whole "Outraged Netizen" thing  is a common way  that this awful on line excuse for a newspaper and others like it  can add a bit of drama to their non stories

And other thing I find annoying, although I know I  shouldn't, is that  phrase "reached out"  (Our correspondent reached out to officials)...  what on earth is wrong with just "contacted officials"     

I'm getting old and grumpy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Happens only in Thailand of course

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7702913.stm

image.png.44718265049a8d50ea0202ba7542ba37.png

The taffys have taken this to a whole new level, Hardly any of them speak the welsh language and they all without exception speak english, yet every street sign has to have both.  Must cost a fortune

35 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The taffys have taken this to a whole new level, Hardly any of them speak the welsh language and they all without exception speak english, yet every street sign has to have both.  Must cost a fortune

Let's have some data shall we:

• For the year ending 31 March 2021, the Annual Population Survey reported that 29.1% of people aged three or over were able to speak Welsh. 
  • 33.5% reported that they could understand spoken Welsh, 26.0% could read and 23.8% could write Welsh.
  • 15.7% of people aged three or over reported that they spoke Welsh daily, 4.9% weekly and 6.9% less often.

Source: https://www.gov.wales/welsh-language-data-annual-population-survey-april-2020-march-2021

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Let's have some data shall we:

• For the year ending 31 March 2021, the Annual Population Survey reported that 29.1% of people aged three or over were able to speak Welsh. 
  • 33.5% reported that they could understand spoken Welsh, 26.0% could read and 23.8% could write Welsh.
  • 15.7% of people aged three or over reported that they spoke Welsh daily, 4.9% weekly and 6.9% less often.

Source: https://www.gov.wales/welsh-language-data-annual-population-survey-april-2020-march-2021

yes lets..".70.9% not able to speak Welsh."...".26.0% (788,100) could read"  no mention of how many of them can drive!

Hardly a reason to spend millions translating all road signs when 100% can speak english, they don't even need to read english very quickly these days , a result of the disastrous 20mph speed limit rolled out by that idiot Drakeford

This is all a result of a few fanatical welsh nationalists who insist on forcing kids to learn this dead language at school whether they want to or not

It also fails to mention to what degree they can actually speak , read , write or understand welsh

Dim Angen Bod Yn  Bedantig     Diolch A Nos da

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I couldn't agree more, the curse of facebook etc and those addicted to it  has a lot to answer for

The weird thing is I can't find any mention of Uproar or Outrage either in the OP or the linked article , it merely mentions that is was "shared".  

Whilst I am sure that it does happen  occasionally  (tits out at Songkran etc etc )    The whole "Outraged Netizen" thing  is a common way  that this awful on line excuse for a newspaper and others like it  can add a bit of drama to their non stories

And other thing I find annoying, although I know I  shouldn't, is that  phrase "reached out"  (Our correspondent reached out to officials)...  what on earth is wrong with just "contacted officials"     

Well, in an effort to properly define your feelings, I am not sure if it is old and grumpy, as much as what I am feeling these days. Very intolerant of nonsense! 

And I think you are right. "Netizens are outraged" seems to be a very common theme on here. 

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What does someone do when they do not have a life?

join aseannow.com?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Absolutely agree with you on that one.

18 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

No, you're not, you're absolutely right.   "Reached out", so pathetic and desperate-sounding.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/21/2023 at 11:46 AM, brianthainess said:

No the phonetic would read: SNAM BIN TRANG

Perhaps you're just trolling, but the sign didn't say "sanam bin" in Thai - it used the more formal term "tha ahkatsayan" (or however you choose to transliterate it).

• Like 1

it remains a mystery to me why Thai authorities don't leverage the numerous English speakers to improve the quality of the signage everywhere.

they could even create a collaborative website where administrations could post what they want to have translated and for example give away some free entries to national parks or similar as a thank you.

2 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Perhaps you're just trolling, but the sign didn't say "sanam bin" in Thai - it used the more formal term "tha ahkatsayan" (or however you choose to transliterate it).

I was just quoting from my English/Thai translator for ''Trang Airport'' that was the Phonetic spelling it gave me. please stop trolling me.