Monk Killed While Crossing a Road in Chonburi

webfact

image.jpeg

Chonburi — A Buddhist monk was crashed into and killed while crossing a road in the district of Banglamung, Chonburi, on Friday morning, December 22nd.

The fatal car accident was reported on Highway 331, inbound to Sattahip district, in the Takhian Tia sub-district at around 6:06 AM today. The accident involved a white Honda Jazz sedan with Chonburi license plates and a 42-year-old monk, Phra Adisorn Tithamano, from Wat Pong Saket Nai.

According to reports, the monk was crossing the road when he was crashed into by the sedan driven by 28-year-old Thai man Mr. Watcharesuan Naonongwai. Phra Adisorn was instantly killed at the spot, having suffered multiple grievous injuries. The sedan was significantly damaged with the front windshield being broken. Mr. Watcharesuan, the driver, however, suffered no injuries.

Mr. Watcharesuan, who works for a ride-sharing application, told Chonburi police responding to the accident that he was driving in the far right lane towards Pattaya to pick up passengers. When he reached the accident spot, he did not see the monk crossing the road to the median, as there were other vehicles in the left lane. Consequently, a collision occurred, causing the monk’s body to hit the windshield before falling to the ground.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-12-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stoner said:

i mean at that point would 100 vs 120 or 130 make any difference ? is it also not illegal to be on a highway here ? i know back home you are not allowed to walk on highways. 

and crossing a highway early morning dawn ?  

You are required to maintain a safe speed and distance (regardless of speed limit) based on weather/traffic conditions that you can reasonably avoid an obstacle in the roadway. Now if a Deer, Moose, drunk college student, or Monk suddenly jumps in the roadway with no chance for a motorist operation safely to stop, that is an accident.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

is it legal to cross a highway as a pedestrian in thailand. regardless if one is a monk or not. 

A true statement.

I have Thai drivers license but I do not claim to be able to quote the law

In my country you are required to maintain a safe speed, even below the posted maximum speed based on weather conditions/darkness

to avoid a pedestrian. Sad  but I think the motorist was going to fast or not paying attention.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It said he didn't see as there was a car towards his left , I'm wondering if the car on the left hand slowed down or stopped ?

Now imagine this , your in a side street coming out ,there is 2 lanes ,a car stops in the left lane to wave you out ......be careful this is how accidents happen !

I always remember a bus in Pattaya doing this on third road ,waving me out to cross ,lucky I looked again as I was Crossing in front of the bus because cars were speeding past in the 2nd lane !!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Captain Monday said:

A true statement.

In my country you are required to maintain a safe speed, even below the posted maximum speed based on weather conditions/darkness

to avoid a pedestrian. Sad  but I think the motorist was going to fast or not paying attention.

i am willing to bet in your country it is illegal for a pedestrian to walk across a highway. 

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

"Basic Speed Law"

What do you call it in "Englund"?

Don't know I don't live there.

Just looked it up. Apparently "Basic speed law" is a 'merkin thing. Also not Thai.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

It said he didn't see as there was a car towards his left , I'm wondering if the car on the left hand slowed down or stopped ?

Now imagine this , your in a side street coming out ,there is 2 lanes ,a car stops in the left lane to wave you out ......be careful this is how accidents happen !

I always remember a bus in Pattaya doing this on third road ,waving me out to cross ,lucky I looked again as I was Crossing in front of the bus because cars were speeding past in the 2nd lane !!!!!

Seen this many times, Thais racing along and not stopping in the right lane when there is a red light and or hazard coming from the left.

7 hours ago, stoner said:
7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Excessive speed again I reckon.

7 hours ago, stoner said:

i mean at that point would 100 vs 120 or 130 make any difference ? is it also not illegal to be on a highway here ? i know back home you are not allowed to walk on highways. 

and crossing a highway early morning dawn ?  

Yes, I completely agree with you @stoner. Crossing a busy highway such as this one is suicidal. No motorist, no matter how alert he/she may can anticipate every possible hazard and a wayward pedestrian, suddenly emerging from the stream of traffic ahead on a fast motorway is probably the last thing that one would expect.

If there is such a phenomena as reincarnation, let's hope that this monk returns will a little more common sense.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stoner said:

i am willing to bet in your country it is illegal for a pedestrian to walk across a highway. 

What do you mean by "highway"

There are no "highways" in the UK, only motorways and roads and it is not illegal to walk across roads.

The 331 runs from Korat to Sattahip and designated as AH19 indicating it is part of the Asian Highway network but that is a route number rather than an indication of the road status, unlike Expressways and Motorways which are toll Highways.

I have travelled it many times, particularly the northern section and pedestrians are far from unusual. In some parts the carriageways are 4 lanes making it extremely dangerous to cross.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

A true statement.

So you say, If there are 2 or3 lanes of cars traveling by side it doesn't matter doing 50 or 80,100 K  the car in the right lane can't see what's crossing the road if something crosses the road from left to right.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

What do you mean by "highway"

There are no "highways" in the UK, only motorways and roads and it is not illegal to walk across roads.

The 331 runs from Korat to Sattahip and designated as AH19 indicating it is part of the Asian Highway network but that is a route number rather than an indication of the road status, unlike Expressways and Motorways which are toll Highways.

I have travelled it many times, particularly the northern section and pedestrians are far from unusual. In some parts the carriageways are 4 lanes making it extremely dangerous to cross.

I notice you left out if it was illegal to walk on a motorway aka highway back home. I notice you only mentioned roads when walking.

• Sad 1