Sim card expiration question

Mikl777

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Think you were ripped off, I pay 1,500bht for a 1 year ais SIM with unlimited data and phone calls. Normal Sims with no credit are about 50bht.

So you’’re  paying 125 Baht a month for unlimited Data and talk? What kind of speeds are you getting?  

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

15Mbps capped at 100Gb.

Phone calls capped at 15mins.

So it is not “unlimited”.  I pay 1176 per month for unlimited data(4G and sometimes 5G speeds) and 700 minutes of talk with True. Normal speeds on this plan averages 100 mbps and once I got 500 Mbps.  

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

So it is not “unlimited”.  I pay 1176 per month for unlimited data(4G and sometimes 5G speeds) and 700 minutes of talk with True. Normal speeds on this plan averages 100 mbps and once I got 500 Mbps.  

But we're comparing with an ais tourist SIM! Which appears to be capped at 20Gb.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Think you were ripped off, I pay 1,500bht for a 1 year ais SIM with unlimited data and phone calls. Normal Sims with no credit are about 50bht.

Be prepared re your next AIS marathon sim, I think it will have a. 70gb cap

Screenshot_20231223_132515.jpg

2 hours ago, Mikl777 said:

I purchased a tourist  Sim card at the airport when. Iarrived.  AIS  I paid about 1000 baht.

Do these cards have an absolute expiration date after which they cannot be topped up?

Will I lose the money in the card?

install the AIS app and check valid untill date of your sim, each time you top up the date moves forward a month, max 1 year ahead, so do multiple small top ups to the date you want

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, norbra said:

Off topic,

Just renewed mine, if you don't buy at the new price they send you an SMS offering it again at the old price and conditions.

Usually a day or two after your current SIM expires. Mine said 'top up your account today 1,490bht and get another year".

I was thinking of moving to DTAC after seeing the new price AIS want, before the SMS arrived.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikl777 said:

Do these cards have an absolute expiration date after which they cannot be topped up?

Will I lose the money in the card?

No, they don't.  As long as you keep topping up the credit the validity will be extended.  If there's credit on the card when it expires you will lose it unless you're quick to get on to AIS who may reinstate it and save your balance.

You could contact AIS's perfect English-speaking call centre and get it from the horse's mouth.  1175. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Off topic,

Just renewed mine, if you don't buy at the new price they send you an SMS offering it again at the old price and conditions.

Usually a day or two after your current SIM expires. Mine said 'top up your account today 1,490bht and get another year".

I was thinking of moving to DTAC after seeing the new price AIS want, before the SMS arrived.

Wow,will wait for sms,but unfortunately I am not receiving sms from AIS.

Been to shop installed new sim no change will have to call their call centre for help.

46 minutes ago, norbra said:

Screenshot_20231223_132515.jpg

my yearly AIS net marathon 15mbps/100gb per month sim run out this week, was looking at options, and was informed top up sim for 1,800thb and it will be renewed on the same package for another year, was automatically renewed after top up, my 15mbps/100gb per month sim is not available anymore, i think for new customers its 2,200thb for 15mbps/50gb

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for all the usual replies Especially "You could contact AIS's perfect English-speaking call centre and get it from the horse's mouth.  1175"

one man's "ripoff" is another man's convenience. Getting to an Airbnb  From the airport  in a foreign country 3 o'clock in the morning requires the ability to communicate.  I consider 1000 baht "pocket change"  and well worth the convenience

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Mikl777 said:

Thanks for all the usual replies Especially "You could contact AIS's perfect English-speaking call centre and get it from the horse's mouth.  1175"

Can't work out if you're taking the piss with that remark, if you are you know what you can do, but calling AIS is the only way to get the correct answer.  If you're not, I apologise for misinterpreting it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Mikl777 said:

one man's "ripoff" is another man's convenience. Getting to an Airbnb  From the airport  in a foreign country 3 o'clock in the morning requires the ability to communicate.  I consider 1000 baht "pocket change"  and well worth the convenience

‘Pocket change’ but yet you are asking as to whether you could ‘lose the money on the card’. 
Anyway, I hope you got the answer that you needed. That they can be extended indefinitely. 
Though I’m confused as to what money you think you could lose? The 899 baht SIM comes with 30 baht of credit. A spectacularly bad deal. 
A 50 baht AIS SIM with a 400 baht top up and the appropriate USSD code gets you 100 GB of ‘max speed’ access. You get 50 GB with a 899 baht Tourist SIM. 
It pays to ask here before travelling. 

On 12/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, BritManToo said:

15Mbps capped at 100Gb.

Phone calls capped at 15mins.

That’s an interesting product. Certainly different from the Marathon SIMs sold to the public. That’s not to say that it doesn’t exist. 
But the Marathon SIM sold over the past couple of years or so had only 60 minutes of any network calls and unlimited AIS to AIS calls, which were capped at 30 minutes per call.

But you do get some different offers as an ongoing customer. I have unlimited data and unlimited calls on a monthly basis. 

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Can't work out if you're taking the piss with that remark, if you are you know what you can do, but calling AIS is the only way to get the correct answer.  If you're not, I apologise for misinterpreting it.

I use dictation software. I forgot to proofread. I meant useful, not " usual"

32 minutes ago, NextG said:

‘Pocket change’ but yet you are asking as to whether you could ‘lose the money on the card’. 
Anyway, I hope you got the answer that you needed. That they can be extended indefinitely. 
Though I’m confused as to what money you think you could lose? The 899 baht SIM comes with 30 baht of credit. A spectacularly bad deal. 
A 50 baht AIS SIM with a 400 baht top up and the appropriate USSD code gets you 100 GB of ‘max speed’ access. You get 50 GB with a 899 baht Tourist SIM. 
It pays to ask here before travelling. 

Still " pocket change"  but different circumstances. It wouldn't be smart to top up  if the  card is about to expire

On 12/23/2023 at 4:06 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Don’t suppose there’s any way to renew the yearly Lazada sim’s ?

I have a max speed with 80gb monthly cap for 1180 baht on True from Lazada , normally i just buy another but it has become a PITA to change numbers every year.

They might offer a renewal package at a similar price. If they don’t in a timely manner then ask them to make an offer. If they don’t, ask for your MNP code. That often triggers an offer. 
Your SIM with a monthly cap has gone up to 2000 baht, so don’t expect a 1180 baht offer. 
The cheapest annual inclusive SIM is from My by NT. 1420 baht gets you Unlimited 10 Mbps 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/my-by-nt-5g-4g-10mbps-60-1-ais-i207869159-s312936196.html

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mikl777 said:

Still " pocket change"  but different circumstances. It wouldn't be smart to top up  if the  card is about to expire

It would be ‘smart’ to not make silly comments. If you ‘top up’ the validity extends itself. In this case intelligence would suggest that it’s best to top up in smaller increments. So for a 400 baht top up, perhaps 50 baht per time would add eight months to your SIM validity. 

But again, if pocket change, why concern yourself at all? Scrap it and get a normal SIM. It’s ‘pocket change’ after all. 

Edited by NextG