What is the max. amount of days possible with a single tourist visa? 90/120/180?

I have a Netherlands and a German passport, but they have the same "value" from a Thai immigration point of view.

As far as I know, I could apply for a 60 days tourist visa at my local Thai embassy/online and then extend that visa within Thailand for another 60 days.

This would result in a maximum of 120 days. Is that correct or do I have wrong numbers. Or can I just extend another 30 days for a maximum of 90?

I also am pretty certain that a couple of years ago one could apply for tourist visa that were 90 days and then extend another 90 days in the country for a maximum of 180 days.

At least that was what some people around me did when they where spending the winter months in Thailand (Oct - Mar). Is that still possible or are these old numbers?

Any input would be appreciated.

7 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Now I am from OZ I get a visa on arrival can I get an extension as well?

Then you'll be on a 30 day Visa Exemption (visa on arrival is different and not applicable to Australians)

these too (like the above Tourist Visa) can be extended - once- for a further 30 days

Many options:

Starting with SingleEntry 60-days Tourist Visa which provides you with a 60-day Permission to stay

1 - Apply for 30-day extension at any Thai Imm Office

2 - If married to a Thai national apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife

So that's 90 days or when married to Thai national > 150 days

Then do a border-hop.

3 - On re-entering Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa) you will get a 30-day Permission to stay

4 - Repeat steps 1 and 2

So that's 150 days or when married to Thai national > 210 days

After that it will become more tricky but not impossible to extend further.  The reason being that border-immigration might not accept that you are a 'genuine tourist' > A 90-day Non Imm O Visa - which can be applied for in Thailand, a neighboring country or your home-country, would then be accepted but takes a whole lot more bureaucracy to get hold of it. 

Edited by Red Phoenix

5 hours ago, Baz Erckens said:

I also am pretty certain that a couple of years ago one could apply for tourist visa that were 90 days and then extend another 90 days in the country for a maximum of 180 days.

Many years ago you could get two x60 single entry TR ( maybe 3) tourist visas put in your passport, at one application. Dad used to get two at one time, sometimes. But that must of done a border bounce. That was probably 15 years ago!

6 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Many years ago you could get two x60 single entry TR ( maybe 3) tourist visas put in your passport, at one application. Dad used to get two at one time, sometimes. But that must of done a border bounce. That was probably 15 years ago!

Yes, they used to sell double and triple entry tourist visas, then that changed to single and multi entry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

15 years ago? When I was sold the Thai condo dream. When I had never even heard of a TM30.

When I could come and go on a visa exempt every month and I had never ever once even heard of people being denied entry for “coming too many times”.  

Those were the good old days, in the 1990's and 2000's when you could sneer at the I/O and tell him , hurry up, I don't have all bloody day ! 

7 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

15 years ago? Another world where  I was sold the Thai condo dream. When I had never even heard of a TM30.

When I could fly in and out DMK on a visa exempt near every month and I had never ever once even heard of people being denied entry for “coming too many times”.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Those were the good old days, in the 1990's and 2000's when you could sneer at the I/O and tell him , hurry up, I don't have all bloody day ! 

Except there was the 90 days in any 180 rule

1 minute ago, bigt3116 said:

Not in my experience there wasn't. I lived in Hong Kong and would travel to Bangkok at least twice a month on visa exempt. The biggest problem I ever had was when an I/O said, you have visited Thailand many times and I replied, yes. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Well there was, it was only rescinded in about 2009, so maybe about the time you were travelling

Or perhaps I never violated the rule, because my stays were rarely more than 90 in 180, if ever (pre-2004).

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 7:43 AM, bigt3116 said:

I have never heard of such a rule ever being enforced , i am not sure that it ever existed  There was also theoretically a requirement to comply with some tax regulations that was never enforced either.  maybe you have confused one with the other, I regularly stayed for more than 180 days throughout the 1990s and 2000s and was never pulled up over either of these regs

20 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I have never heard of such a rule ever being enforced , i am not sure that it ever existed  There was also theoretically a requirement to comply with some tax regulations that was never enforced either.  maybe you have confused one with the other, I regularly stayed for more than 180 days throughout the 1990s and 2000s and was never pulled up over either of these regs

It most certainly did exist, but it was only for visa exempt entries

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

It most certainly did exist, but it was only for visa exempt entries

Fair enough, I only ever came here visa exempt once or twice   probably why I've never heard of it, 

Just out of interest is that when they changed the rules to limit the number of visa exempt entries by land to two per year?

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1