best ways to convert THB to AUD

ezzra

9 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

ROFLOL - Your are serious arent you??  Go use Google young man - all will be revealed.  I aint your nurse or nanny.  Look at the Bangkok Bank website in USA - or any anywhere else.  Come back with proof if you find they have full unrestricted banking licences for residential banking business - offering accounts to US Citizens and all that.  If you do I will accept that and stand corrected. 

Now - did you read those articles in Asean Now. Did you Google the other websites for similar stories. I bet not. Prove me wrong. Tomorrow anytime is fine. 

You said they had no banks, i proofed you wrong. I was your nurse / nanny, don't try to reverse the narrative.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not what you asserted originally, this is what you claimed...

You posted that there are no Thai banks operating in any 1st world country .

There are.

Obnviously I was referring to residential banks - like ther banks in Thailand I/we use - which is what the OP was talking about.  

Go away and troll someone else - and get a life mate - try marrying a Thai girl - far less frustrating than buying it.

Look up this, "mate", there is a Thai bank, GSB, that guarantees all depositors funds, no limit.  Do some research.

In the 1st world all funds are Govt Guaranteed in the full-licence Banks.

Garbage.  There are no banks in, for example, the UK, US or EU that guarantee 100% of funds deposited in those area's banks, without an upper limit.  If you think that there are, there or anywhere else, specify them.  Do some research.

Wrong - but I have said all I will say in last reply - go troll someone else - and get a life MATE.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You said they had no banks, i proofed you wrong. I was your nurse / nanny, don't try to reverse the narrative.

Another troll - mate of lou or same bloke - either way, go troll someone else - and get a life.

If both of you are reading this - look up cognitive bias - you both (or one and same) dont listen - you think what you think is correct and nothing will 'correct' that - like a woke teenage girl. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Look up this, "mate", there is a Thai bank, GSB, that guarantees all depositors funds, no limit.  Do some research.

In the 1st world all funds are Govt Guaranteed in the full-licence Banks.

Garbage.  There are no banks in, for example, the UK, US or EU that guarantee 100% of funds deposited in those area's banks, without an upper limit.  If you think that there are, there or anywhere else, specify them.  Do some research.

Expand  

Wrong - but I have said all I will say in last reply

GSB does guarantee all deposits.

No banks anywhere in the "1st world", as you put it, have unlimited deposit protection, as you claim.  It there were any, you'd have quoted them.  

3 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:
3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Another troll - mate of lou or same bloke - either way, go troll someone else - and get a life.

If both of you are reading this - look up cognitive bias - you both (or one and same) dont listen - you think what you think is correct and nothing will 'correct' that - like a woke teenage girl. 

Being accurate and debunking falsehoods is trolling, is it?   But your constantly posting incorrect information, making false accusations of my posting here under more than one name and reverting to lame insults is ok?   I see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sidneybear said:

No, it does not need "approval", it just needs to be declared to ABP/Customs.

You are wrong, because cash over AUD 10k does indeed need approval, because it needs to be declared to Austrac (Australia's anti money laundering agency, not ABF) prior to travel. Travellers must complete a form and provide evidence to show the money comes from a legitimate source. Follow the link in my previous post. 

No, I am not wrong, that pre-arrival at Customs declaration is an option.  From the instructions on that declaration...

"...If you are unable to submit an electronic form, you can fill in a paper form at the port of your arrival [i.e. declare it on arrival] or departure".

https://apps.austrac.gov.au/cbmmi/carrying/introduction

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Making false statements and being caught out, then blaming others is pathetic, get a life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not what you asserted originally, this is what you claimed...

You posted that there are no Thai banks operating in any 1st world country .

There are.

Obnviously I was referring to residential banks

It was not obvious, what was obvious was what you posted.   

What is a "residential bank", anyway?   There are commercial banks, investment banks and retail banks, among others, but I've never come across a "residential" bank in all the years I worked in banking in the UK.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I am not wrong, that pre-arrival at Customs declaration is an option.  From the instructions on that declaration...

"...If you are unable to submit an electronic form, you can fill in a paper form at the port of your arrival [i.e. declare it on arrival] or departure".

https://apps.austrac.gov.au/cbmmi/carrying/introduction

OK. So you convert 10M THB to AUD and front up at the border without the prior approval from Austrac. Then what if they don't believe your story or need more proof of where the money came from? They seize it until they're satisfied. 

You're giving really bad advice, and I doubt you'd take the risk yourself. 

3 hours ago, sidneybear said:

. So you convert 10M THB to AUD and front up at the border without the prior approval from Austrac. Then what if they don't believe your story or need more proof of where the money came from? They seize it until they're satisfied. 

Yes, that's what happens.  You seem to be assuming that the OP wouldn't be able to explain the source of his funds...why assume that?  If he can show how he legitimately got the money, it won't be confiscated.

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, that's what happens.  You seem to be assuming that the OP wouldn't be able to explain the source of his funds...why assume that?  If he can show how he legitimately got the money, it won't be confiscated.

Sooo.... it's much more prudent to get Austrac approval before you go, rather than risk an overzealous official at the border not being satisfied with your (foreign) evidence, and confiscating all your cash. It stands to reason that the best advice is to play it as safe as possible, when 10+ million Baht is involved  .... I would, and I'm sure you would too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidneybear said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sooo.... it's much more prudent to get Austrac approval before you go, rather than risk an overzealous official at the border not being satisfied with your (foreign) evidence, and confiscating all your cash. It stands to reason that the best advice is to play it as safe as possible, when 10+ million Baht is involved  .... I would, and I'm sure you would too. 

Yes, of course, I agree with you on that.  What I didn't agree with was your claim that it has to be done in advance when it is an option. It doesn't makes any difference, whatsoever, if those carrying over 10k, legitimately, can prove that.  That evidence of bank transactions, etc., showing the legitimacy of the cash comes from an overseas bank (that has no less status or credibility than any Australian bank) should not have any adverse bearing on Customs' case.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

I have been using Wise for years and the Ex rates are better than the banks with lower fees than the banks also. Have a look nothing ventured nothing gained 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 1:21 PM, ezzra said:

All is well said and doable, the trick is to find a good exch. rates...

Unless you are planning to take it back to Australia, the trick is how you plan on getting it past customs, other than not declaring it... and you would have a fair idea of what happens if you got caught I'd imagine.

7 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Unless you are planning to take it back to Australia, the trick is how you plan on getting it past customs, other than not declaring it... and you would have a fair idea of what happens if you got caught I'd imagine.

Scratch that, I'm sure you'd have all docs to support the massive amount of cash you are carrying...ofc ourse...

I do and thanks for the input, however, my bank manager like me that much she said she'll do her best to get me 

12-20 satangs more than the published tare...