Do you do immigration business yourself? If so why?

1 hour ago, Keep Right said:

I never go to immigration to do a 90 day report or re new my visa. I did that once and never again. I do not do a 90 report but just pay the 2000 BAHT fine at the end of my visa. Only cheap charlies waste their time at immigration.

Uh huh. 

• Haha 1

I used to do a marriage visa and it was an absolute nightmare, now I've gone back to the retirement visa and it's fairly smooth and relatively easy, as long as I have enough money in the bank to do it legally. I do it legally and if I'm a little bit short I use one of the immigration folks within the office, since 90% of them are on the take and virtually all of them will cooperate. For a price. 

• Confused 4
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I used to do a marriage visa and it was an absolute nightmare, now I've gone back to the retirement visa and it's fairly smooth and relatively easy, as long as I have enough money in the bank to do it legally. I do it legally and if I'm a little bit short I use one of the immigration folks within the office, since 90% of them are on the take and virtually all of them will cooperate. For a price. 

What is the usual price? 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

What is the usual price? 

I've been paying 10,000 baht extra for the bank statements, last year my balance dropped below the requirement for one week, but nonetheless it was enough for them to nick me. They can handle virtually anything you need and they franchisees just like the police, so don't be afraid to ask. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

For most it's one of 4.

Firstly... inadequate funds.

Second.. have funds but prefer to not have it in Thai bank account as can earn ~8% elsewhere.

Third....don't want to deal with immigration.

Other.... immobility or other health issues. 

But you have known that already. 

Another other, company I work for does it for me.

Edited by FritsSikkink

Do it my self. Went through a couple of years of BIG pain understanding all the documents they need, in what order etc. Not even educated Thais that I know could fully comprehend their list of requirements. Nowadays it's relatively painless.

2 weeks away from needing to do it again, hopefully nothing has changed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Aren't you the guy who's always complaining about corruption in Thailand!!! Oh deary me.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

At my immigration office there is a nice young lady sat in the corner, if you give her the forms and all supporting documents to her, she completes them, collates them, takes whatever copies are needed and creates a complete bundle all clipped together, just sign where needed and hand it in. So easy, no frustration, no hassle. Cost 200bt. That works for me.

Just FYI, there's a junior official who does a preliminary review before the final review by the senior official in my office. Occasionally, I may have forgotten to photocopy something, but usually everything is in order, so this preliminary review seems to be primarily for the benefit of the senior officer rather than for me.  I pre-sign all the pages, and there is usually very little interaction between the junior official and myself. I've never been asked to pay a fee for this "service" above the 1900 baht visa renewal fee.

Many many years ago, attempts were made to get me to pay a fee for a verification of residence letter (driver's license renewal), which I always successfully resisted paying. The last two times I've needed this service it's been provided for free, without any effort made to collect a fee.  This is as it should be as the driver's license residence letter is needed to conform to licensing requirements, and the police ought to encourage compliance with these requirements whenever possible.)

To answer the OP's question: my immigration office has a couple of cute officers.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mancub said:

Well. I do mine. simply because I can.

I suspect (and have witnessed) others that are just plain incapable . No doubt some of these hide under the excuse of "being able to afford to" or their "time is worth more".

Each to their own .

Those "excuses sound completely plausible to me.Perhaps you are just talking for those who are cash strapped and with too much time on their hands.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

My "Agent" was a front for a well-known agency. The old woman who met US at Bangkok Bank brought my passport. I was sitting outside. She didn't know me. She put MY passport on the chairs outside where I was sitting, then turned her back and ate her lunch. She walked inside leaving my passport on the chair.  Scum. Her custody of my passport was never consistent.  I told MY agent this and told her to tell the old lady to be more careful.  She was a careless piece of <deleted>.  

After you had voluntarily handed over your passport, relinquishing custody and control of it, was it ever lost or did it suffer any other issues?  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I truly sympathize with ex-pats (like Sheryl) who are stuck with a rogue Immo office(r) in an out-of-the-way province (Prachinburi?).

I was wondering:  Does speaking Thai with the Immo officer make any difference? 

At Immo/CW, I studiously follow the lead of the officer.  If s/he speaks to me in English, I stick to English.  If in Thai, then it is Thai all the way. 

But, I have never noticed a difference in attitude or treatment at CW whether I use English or Thai.   In that location, language is not a factor since the service has been consistent and professional over the decades I've used it.

Just a postscript:  While Sheryl owns her house but not the land on which it sits, I own the land where "my" house sits, but not the house itself.  But, that is a story for another thread.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm now on my 21st extension. I used to do my own but I finally grew tired of the run around that Immi used to give me, every time I went to extend. There were never enough copies, there was always always something that had to be copied. One year they asked to see my lease, without any warning and when I mentioned it on here, everyone said I was lying or crazy. Pretty soon, everyone had to produce a lease or similar. One year in Phuket the IO didn't like the fact my bank letter was one day old and since my bank was HSBC in Bangkok, that  meant a new return trip to Bangkok, a new letter and another immi appointment. In another year, my bank letter showed my total assets with the bank in Thailand, rather than just 800k, it had never been a problem before. That year the IO wanted me to reconcile all my bank books and accounts, back to the letter, it was like teaching accounting 101 to a kid. There were numerous other things also.

Eventually, things got to a point where we were required to start queuing for a queue number, in the parking lot of Immi, at 4 am and I finally said borrocks to that. That was when I started to use a well regarded legit agent and now they do everything Immi related for me and I only ever set foot inside an Immi office, once a year, for five minutes, to get my picture taken. Best investment I ever made.

I'm with you on this.I did my own for a few years and after one bull<deleted> copy this or that or some minor item I just gave up.I now pay a popular agency and and nowadays don't even have to go for the pic and as a bonus they do my 90 criminal report also. Money well spent IMHO.

PS: The signature on my visa stanp is exactly the same as the one from when I did it myself. That in itself tells me a lot.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I've been paying 10,000 baht extra for the bank statements, last year my balance dropped below the requirement for one week, but nonetheless it was enough for them to nick me. They can handle virtually anything you need and they franchisees just like the police, so don't be afraid to ask. 

Everyone in Immigration is the police. 

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

For something that only needs doing, for most long term resident expats, once a year it's hardly a chore spending a couple of hours on immigration business. 

Spend the 20000 agent fee on something nice.

Unless you don't have 800,000 in the bank for 2 or 3 months. 

I did take care of Thai and will do it again. Put 400,000b in a bank and there is no seasoning. The paperwork is voluminous but I have all documents I need. 

The last time at Jomtien, A SCUMbag told my son that he wasn't Thai because he couldn't speak Thai fluently. My anger was visible. He has a Thai Passport and ID. I told the woman he is as Thai as you are, maybe more so.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, quake said:

Do it all myself for years.

So they get only the cost of an extension from me.

and a smug grin, at them all,  on the way out. 

Why a smug grin. What's wrong with a friendly smile and a polite 'thank you'. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Aren't you the guy who's always complaining about corruption in Thailand!!! Oh deary me.

Yes I do complain about corruption in Thailand and yes I do support corruption occasionally. What can I say, if I was a saint the Catholic Church would be looking to canonize me. 

If you were looking for perfection in a human being you're looking on the wrong planet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

Everyone in Immigration is the police. 

Okay then, you've done a very good job of explaining why you can get an immigration agent to do just about anything for you.

After all the police are the ultimate franchisees within the nation, so why shouldn't the same apply to immigration, border patrol, and customs? 

• Like 1