Do you do immigration business yourself? If so why?

57 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

You've been looking at inkjets, I've got a laser printer, less problems if it lies dormant for a while, think it was about 1,000 Baht did look at the same brand/model that prints color at the time 26,000 Baht, too expensive for poor old me.

No. I have not been looking only at inkjets.

On 12/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, KhunBENQ said:

12 month statement at Bangkok Bank seems annoying? Order days ahead.

Will see next year.

If the IO requires a 12 month statement the same day it’s impossible if your bank is in NE branch it takes 1-2 weeks to get from bank headquarter in Bangkok. 6 months can be done same day at branch but may take hours

if bank is busy. But 12 months is required.

You can download a 12 month statement from bank which is password protected to open but prior visits to IO will not accept. Even if you download in front of them at office.

12 hours ago, CecilM said:

I'm cheap and won't pay for an agent. 

It is more of an issue of poor rather than cheap. This is why you see expats riding a Honda Wave 125 rather than drive a car. And why you see expats living in a 38 meter room with their little brown tee luk.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You said you would not purchase a colour printer.

My point was, I can't recall the last time I saw a printer that prints only black and white and doesn't print colour. 

LOL. See if you can find one here:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=laser printer black and white

Brother HL-1100, love it. Big seller, Linux-friendly:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=brother hl-1110

Once a year I go by a copy shop and get a color copy of my motorbike tax disk to put into the bike's tax tube. That's  all the color I need.

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

If the IO requires a 12 month statement the same day

Haven't read that this was required. Would indeed be impossible.

And you still need the bank letter and today's book update.

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I recently almost forgot to get a re-entry permit so instead of using my agent I had to do it myself... 2 1/2 hours later I was reminded why I use an agent... what a hassle... I would rather pay the agent and be out playing golf while he gets the stamp.

Consider doing at the airport next time, it's quick and easy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Why pay 2000 THB when one can spend 5 minutes every 90 days on the website to do the checkin?

BTW, let's please keep this thread on topic. I didn't ask why you use an agent, rather I asked if you DIY your immigration business and why. This forum provides tons of useful information about how to navigate the Thai Immigration System and those who use an Agent really would only benefit to find out if the agent is ripping them off, which in most cases they are!

It’s 100B for an agent to do a 90 day report which is cheaper than a Bolt taxi to/from Immigration (please don’t suggest I take 2 Baht buses to get there).

I normally do mine online but there have been periods where it wasn’t working so it’s good to have a backup. 

Just now, Skipalongcassidy said:

Yep like the guy that missed the flight because the desk wasn't manned yet

I've never seen or heard of that being reported, at Swampy it is a several person desk so it is unlikely to  ever be unstaffed, unless somebody shows up for a flight five minutes before departure and they all went to take a leak at the same time....I suppose it could happen! Regardless, I've used the airport for this purpose several times, without a hitch, it's up to you what you do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Consider doing at the airport next time, it's quick and easy. 

That's what I plan on doing. As usual, when doing extra business at the airport I'd show up early with all the correct paper work already filled out.  BTW, it is possible to get a MULTIPLE re-entry permission stamp at Suvarnabumi Airport. I'll be doing this next time I fly out.

It's much quicker for those of us in Bangkok to use the airport for re-entry permits than CW Division 1. One can easily avoid the lines by doing the business at the airport.

Edited by likerdup1

1 hour ago, likerdup1 said:

BTW, it is possible to get a MULTIPLE re-entry permission stamp at Suvarnabumi Airport. I'll be doing this next time I fly out.

Yes multi is available.

Single reentry 1000b 

Multi reentry 3800b 

If you have immigration provide form fill in and photo that service is 200b 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, DJ54 said:

If the IO requires a 12 month statement the same day it’s impossible if your bank is in NE branch it takes 1-2 weeks to get from bank headquarter in Bangkok. 6 months can be done same day at branch but may take hours

if bank is busy. But 12 months is required.

You can download a 12 month statement from bank which is password protected to open but prior visits to IO will not accept. Even if you download in front of them at office.

Solution with Bangkok Bank get two 6 month statements.

SCB can produce a 12 month statement on request, but it will not have the "Transaction on the Day" listed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I've never seen or heard of that being reported, at Swampy it is a several person desk so it is unlikely to  ever be unstaffed, unless somebody shows up for a flight five minutes before departure and they all went to take a leak at the same time....I suppose it could happen! Regardless, I've used the airport for this purpose several times, without a hitch, it's up to you what you do. 

Chiang Mai is very different 

On 12/27/2023 at 10:20 AM, likerdup1 said:

I've done my immigration business for the last 11 years myself.

I am on my fourth Non-O Visa with a 1 year extension of stay. Three times before in Chonburi (first time in 2012) and this last time in Bangkok done at Chang Wattana Division 1 completed yesterday.

Why do others do immigration business themselves? I do it because I don't want to be involved in graft, be attached to an agent and pay a lot of extra money for what amounts to about $100 an hour for my time if I paid an agent.

Why do you do your immigration business yourself?

I do it for exactly the same reasons you do. Cost has nothing to do with my choice. At Huahin (not Bluport) it's a fast process anyway if the papers are all in order; just follow the checklist and apply. No sweat.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2023 at 10:20 AM, likerdup1 said:

I've done my immigration business for the last 11 years myself.

I am on my fourth Non-O Visa with a 1 year extension of stay. Three times before in Chonburi (first time in 2012) and this last time in Bangkok done at Chang Wattana Division 1 completed yesterday.

Why do others do immigration business themselves? I do it because I don't want to be involved in graft, be attached to an agent and pay a lot of extra money for what amounts to about $100 an hour for my time if I paid an agent.

Why do you do your immigration business yourself?

I used to live in Bangkok & did my extensions at CW, the last one I would have probably ended up having to make 3 trips... (From On Nut it's approx. 1.5 hours & 600B in a Taxi each way)

1. My Bank Book had amalgamated entries as I didn't keep it up to date often enough, Immigration would have rejected this & I'd have to come back another day with a Bank Statement.
  2. At that time, Immigration was only processing Extensions that were due in the next 3 days, I wanted mine 44 days before as I was travelling, would have had to cancel my holiday plans, at least 25K down the toilet. 

Instead my agent spotted the problem with my Bank Book & took me to the local Bangkok Bank to explain to them what I needed (100B for a 3 month statement covering the period of amalgamated Entries) & drove me to CW to process my extension 44 days before it was due.

I paid them 7,900B (- 1,900 Immigration so 6,000B) worth every Satang in my book. 

I really do laugh when people say it only takes a couple of hours at CW to do their extension, it used to take me 1.5-2x that in travel time alone, but using an Agent I was normally in & out in 20-30 mins. 

On 12/27/2023 at 11:04 AM, foreverlomsak said:

Not allowed to do that, reasons

1) They have their own pre-printed forms with the color stamps already appended.

2) They insist on handwritten in blue ink, and I'm not spending money on a color printer that will be used once a year.

3) The house location map must be hand drawn too.

It clearly depends on your immigration office.

Hat Yai immigration are happy to accept the computer completed forms I print out each year in greyscale; I have a mono laser printer. They require both a Google maps location plan with long/lat coordinates AND a hand drawn map (don't ask me why). Only the photos of the happy couple need to be in colour, everything else can just be scanned and printer out in black & white.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 8:45 PM, Screaming said:

It is more of an issue of poor rather than cheap. This is why you see expats riding a Honda Wave 125 rather than drive a car. And why you see expats living in a 38 meter room with their little brown tee luk.

Brah really, she brown tho ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Only the photos of the happy couple need to be in colour, everything else can just be scanned and printer out in black & white.

As you said office dependent, and as I'm on a Retirement Extension the photos are not required, although I have been asked for them and where is your wife more than once (being married I could have supplied them, but this would raise another query), shows how much attention they were paying to the application.