Do you do immigration business yourself? If so why?

47 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

At my immigration office there is a nice young lady sat in the corner, if you give her the forms and all supporting documents to her, she completes them, collates them, takes whatever copies are needed and creates a complete bundle all clipped together, just sign where needed and hand it in. So easy, no frustration, no hassle. Cost 200bt. That works for me.

There is something like that service at Chonburi Jomtien too. It's not one lady in a corner of the office though. It is a document copy and assistance shop with several staff including a few Filipino English speakers (at least several years ago when lived in Jomtien). That shop appears to be on the same property as Immigration and may even lease the land space from the Govt of Thailand.

I've never used it but they seem to be very helpful and how you describe sounds a lot better than using an agent to accomplish the business and who, in many cases, will ask you to collect a bunch of documents FOR THEM anyway.

How many agents will actually put in the foot work to collect all your documents for you. Most who use an agent still have to collect all the documentation and give it to the agent. I just skip the middle man and give everything direct to Immigration. Until I finally get tired of doing that and can find an agent who actually charges reasonable for what they do I'll be DIY all the way.

Edited by likerdup1

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

Most agents here deal with Myanmar workers and factories hiring them.

Wouldn't be so trusting letting them hang on to my passport, information and so on.

And they likely would not accept it. I have found that the agents who deal with farang expats and those who deal with migrant workers are completely different and one will not handle the other.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Two other incidents were the catalyst for me to change. The first was when an IO opened my passport and stamped my new visa and skipped several blank pages,. I looked at him in amazement and asked him why he did that. He didn't answer, just tossed my passport across the desk, at me. The second was when an IO at Swampy miss dated my stay until date and tried to correct it with a pen but I didn't notice until much later. When I went to Immi to try and correct the problem, the officer made a very big and loud deal about me making changes to my visa and that was fraudulent and I could go to jail. This was in a room of some 50 or so people waiting to extend their visa's. There was nothing I could do or say except that I hadn't made the changes, he obviously thought  it was funny to intimidate a farang publically.... f'wit.

Yep, NEVER alter a date yourself (I know you didn't). Document fraud is very serious in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do the extension myself, the wife does the TM30 and 90 day.

Easy as the Hat Yai immigration office is only 1.5km from the house.

Hat Yai immigration are generally pleasant and helpful. 

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

Do the extension myself, the wife does the TM30 and 90 day.

Hat Yai immigration office is only 1.5km from the house.

Lucky you ... as mine is 100 kms / ~1.5 hrs away ... 

... once a year won't kill me, and gives me a day, a munch out @ Hun Hin.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Yep, NEVER alter a date yourself (I know you didn't). Document fraud is very serious in Thailand.

it's almost 2024, the Internet has been in full swing for about 30 years. IT technology is very advance, yet here in Thailand the banks, Immigration and a myriad of businesseses still use all kinds paper documentation so it's easy to understand why the altering and counterfeiting of paper documents (which can easily be done using computers) would be a very big deal in Thailand.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

At my immigration office there is a nice young lady sat in the corner, if you give her the forms and all supporting documents to her, she completes them, collates them, takes whatever copies are needed and creates a complete bundle all clipped together, just sign where needed and hand it in. So easy, no frustration, no hassle. Cost 200bt. That works for me.

I have to sign my name 60+ times and complete all the forms myself, and stick the photos on to their A4s that's 12 photos all up. I can't even read my own signature by the time I'm finished 2hrs later. then another hour for them to process before I can walk out the door.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I do it all myself because I have no choice.

My IO is highly unpleasant (in fact downright abusive) and I would gladly pay for someone else to do this on my behalf.

But cannot find a single agent willing to come out to my province (there are none in it) and do not want to get an extension from a province where I don't live with all the attendant risks that can carry and issues for 90 day reporting etc.

You are unable to move to another province?

I found when I moved from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, the process is far less stressful, although my first extension here was complicated by the lease situation.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Do everything myself marriage extension, it's one day a year of stress but I get over that, what annoyed me this year was the officer trying to get me to do the retirement extension, yet again, and complains to ME it too much paperwork for the married one, I told her it's you and your office that makes that problem not me!

Is there actually any other office with so many rules in Thailand than TRAT? everything must be dated the same day and must take your witness along. I may add photos have to be glossy.

IMG_20231227_112221.thumb.jpg.b41ea06b7bb2700b47a246d8f4ec967e.jpg

marripagg2.thumb.jpg.1d32127c4946d99b2fa4288328314b14.jpg

And then to cap it off the TM47 x 2 that wants all the same info on your PP copies and you must write your age 'coz their to dumb to work it out. with exactly the same questions top and bottom. 

TM47ThaiImmigrationForm-Notificationofaddress.thumb.jpg.8d3cb86286b1a29708d3709213f109e6.jpg

You forgot the letter from your mum.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Denim said:

immigration.thumb.jpg.1ecb06f234eb5235aeecf3b3b2ab529a.jpg

Do everything myself since my local immigration office is quiet and user friendly. 

Would only need to use an agent if I were disabled in some way.

My recent 90 day report took 5 minutes. Only person there.

This office picture looks to be also devoid of Immigration officers. come on now, are you fooling around with us? This looks to be a picture lifted from an Immigration website showing the interior of a closed office. Come now.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You are unable to move to another province?

I found when I moved from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, the process is far less stressful, although my first extension here was complicated by the lease situation.

Went to Chiang Mai immigration last week, booked appointment online at 8.30am, was done and dusted at 9.15am, retirement extension. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Went to Chiang Mai immigration last week, booked appointment online at 8.30am, was done and dusted at 9.15am, retirement extension. 

I gather it has improved, due to a new broom. When I was there years ago, it took four hours, even with an agent.

2 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

How many agents will actually put in the foot work to collect all your documents for you. Most who use an agent still have to collect all the documentation and give it to the agent

When an agent does it, they ask for much less documentation than if you went to immigration yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

I witnessed a complete disregard for my passport

What does that mean?  No one looked at your passport?  They didn't want it?  They subbed it because they didn't want anything to do with it?

Maybe you just need a better agent.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2