VPN's

still kicking

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

This thread is very timely (again) because I posted on another VPN thread and recommended Smart DNS Proxy as my go-to solution, and in the main it's the best one I've tried, although just occasionally the picture seems to get a little fuzzy.

And just yesterday I couldn't get onto the BBC iPlayer with it (first time this has happened) so I thought I would switch back to Nord VPN, because I've still got a few months of subscription left, to watch Match of the Day, so I did that and all was fine, HOWEVER when I tried to switch to another program on iPlayer, I got the usual dreaded message about this content not being available in my part of the world (or similar).

So back over to Smart DNS Proxy and all was fine, so overall this is still the best bet for me, and cheaper than most.

Just one question for the more knowledgeable folks here: – I've noticed many advertisements for a little circular plug-in device for the TV which enables it to access hitherto "un-accessible" websites/channels, and was wondering if it was worth buying one to try to see if I could get onto the likes of Stan (Australia) without a subscription??? Anyone have any ideas on this?

I tried your recommendation of DNS Proxy and included the nearby countries that you mentioned but for some reason nothing happened , connection wise . Probably the dinosaur effect ( ME )

58 minutes ago, superal said:

I tried your recommendation of DNS Proxy and included the nearby countries that you mentioned but for some reason nothing happened , connection wise . Probably the dinosaur effect ( ME )

Sorry to hear that Superal, as the instructions are clearly outlined, and try to follow them for the system/web browser you use AND don't forget to check (tick) the box before you leave the last action/page. Wait a short while and the system will run a check before you can use it. Good luck.....you can also use their help line to get you up and running.

PS. I didn't need to select any countries as my set up did not require that function.

Edited by xylophone
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Not to worry, it isn't the easiest but once you get it up and running it's worth it. Did you see four green ticks after you logged into .'My Account'?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Yes , I spoke to their C/S who admitted that W.Hill can detect that a VPN is being used . I have cancelled my recurring subs with S/S .

Sorry about that. I previously subscribed to 'ZenMate' (simply because it was the cheapest). However, it wouldn't unblock BBCiPlayer. Their C/S told me they were presently working on a solution but couldn't give any timescale. As it wasn't available before my initial 30 days was up I cancelled and received refund in full. No problems with SurfShark for two years but I now use Smart DNS Proxy due to their special offer of three year's for £41.11 GBP ($50.98 USD). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Not to worry, it isn't the easiest but once you get it up and running it's worth it. Did you see four green ticks after you logged into .'My Account'?

No , just a page with my account and name plus a  list of subscriptions

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Sorry about that. I previously subscribed to 'ZenMate' (simply because it was the cheapest). However, it wouldn't unblock BBCiPlayer. Their C/S told me they were presently working on a solution but couldn't give any timescale. As it wasn't available before my initial 30 days was up I cancelled and received refund in full. No problems with SurfShark for two years but I now use Smart DNS Proxy due to their special offer of three year's for £41.11 GBP ($50.98 USD). 

That is a mystery as S/S works for some but not others . Just thinking , could it be that I am using the S/S extension which I believe is not the full app , plus I am using Chromebook that seems to have limitations . E.G. I cannot install another browser , currently using Google and tried to install Opera but Chromebook said it is not compatible . BTW I have cleared all browsing history , cache and cookies .

3 minutes ago, superal said:

That is a mystery as S/S works for some but not others . Just thinking , could it be that I am using the S/S extension which I believe is not the full app , plus I am using Chromebook that seems to have limitations . E.G. I cannot install another browser , currently using Google and tried to install Opera but Chromebook said it is not compatible . BTW I have cleared all browsing history , cache and cookies .

Here's the ChromeBook set-up instructions; https://support.smartdnsproxy.com/article/44-chromebook-dns-setup-for-smart-dns-proxy

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks but the free trial is not shown any more and I am reluctant to subscribe without a trial . When  I first installed the DNS it had a free trial but I was unable to connect .

8 minutes ago, superal said:

Thanks but the free trial is not shown any more and I am reluctant to subscribe without a trial . When  I first installed the DNS it had a free trial but I was unable to connect.

Completely understand. After my free trial they sent emails with special offers on subscriptions. When the price came down to just over one dollar per month I signed up for three years. Otherwise, I was going to go for Atlas VPN which is about the lowest priced alternative. Never had any problems with SurfShark though! 

On 12/28/2023 at 1:48 PM, mran66 said:

Which countries you have found to work best for this purpose? 

It will vary depending on exchange rate. Exchange rates fluctuate. Don't fall for this statement as non convertable currencies will first convert to US$ then to whatever currency you are paying in. You may benefit some if you start your trip in this "cheaper" country but not if you buy a ticket in Rubel and start your flight in Bkk.

Happy to get proven wrong.😉

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:14 PM, gearbox said:

You can subscribe to YouTube premium or Netflix via VPN from Turkey or Argentina, it is times cheaper than Australia.

Also, a Spotify premium music streaming subscription is much cheaper if subscribed via a TH IP than a U.S. IP, and I'd assume the same for a UK IP -- even though the available content is the same.

• Thanks 1

I've had a paid Surfshark subscription for the past several years, but rarely ended up using it, because it didn't work for unlocking most of the paid U.S. streaming services that I'd want to use it for....

SS tends to often get ranked among the top VPNs on various rating sites because of its comparatively low monthly price. But... 1) a lot of those VPN rating sites lean heavily toward VPNs that pay them in some form or another, and 2) in the case of SS, IME, you get what you pay for, which is very little.

Whereas other VPNs like PrivateVPN and Windscribe VPN did and do a much better job allowing access to those same paid U.S. streaming services like Amazon Prime, Hulu, Sling TV and others.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

On 12/30/2023 at 4:04 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've had a paid Surfshark subscription for the past several years, but rarely ended up using it, because it didn't work for unlocking most of the paid U.S. streaming services that I'd want to use it for....

SS tends to often get ranked among the top VPNs on various rating sites because of its comparatively low monthly price. But... 1) a lot of those VPN rating sites lean heavily toward VPNs that pay them in some form or another, and 2) in the case of SS, IME, you get what you pay for, which is very little.

Whereas other VPNs like PrivateVPN and Windscribe VPN did and do a much better job allowing access to those same paid U.S. streaming services like Amazon Prime, Hulu, Sling TV and others.

So why is it that some V P N s work and others do not ?  Also S/S does not work for you and me but it does work for others .

• When I had a chat with S/S they said some gambling sites are getting more sophisticated in detecting VPN users .  These VPN providers seem to be ok for the first month or 2 . They offer a money back scheme if you are not happy within the first 30 days of buying their service . Strange that all works well and is good for at least 30 days ?

46 minutes ago, superal said:

So why is it that some V P N s work and others do not ?  Also S/S does not work for you and me but it does work for others .

• When I had a chat with S/S they said some gambling sites are getting more sophisticated in detecting VPN users .  These VPN providers seem to be ok for the first month or 2 . They offer a money back scheme if you are not happy within the first 30 days of buying their service . Strange that all works well and is good for at least 30 days ?

I understood that VPN companies constantly change things (workaround), as websites become aware of geo-unblocking via VPN's. Are they saying that certain websites e.g. William Hill in UK are now totally impossible to unblock?  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I understood that VPN companies constantly change things (workaround), as websites become aware of geo-unblocking via VPN's. Are they saying that certain websites e.g. William Hill in UK are now totally impossible to unblock?  

There is that implication but unblocking can sometimes happen . Why ? I do not know . However the VPN companies continue to promote their products excellent performance at unblocking most websites including W.Hill . Also the same bragging from cyber agents .  Don't know if VPN companies come under any regulator . They seem to a law to themselves.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2023 at 4:04 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I had Surf Shark for a while on my other computer, but discontinued with it because it was not reliable, some days would connect, other days it wouldn't.

I now use Smart DNS Proxy and they also have an addition called a Smart DNS Proxy VPN, which I downloaded (clicked on) and it gives you a selection of countries/servers to choose from, which was very handy for me because I wanted to get onto the NZ lotto site to check some tickets I had – – and it worked for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I had Surf Shark for a while on my other computer, but discontinued with it because it was not reliable, some days would connect, other days it wouldn't.

I now use Smart DNS Proxy and they also have an addition called a Smart DNS Proxy VPN, which I downloaded (clicked on) and it gives you a selection of countries/servers to choose from, which was very handy for me because I wanted to get onto the NZ lotto site to check some tickets I had – – and it worked for that.

Agree! I use the Windows app to watch tubitv.com which is, apparently, only available in USA.

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Any concerns?

https://mylotto.co.nz/faqs#:~:text=If you normally live overseas,not a New Zealand resident.

Lotto NZ does not hold a licence in any other country to offer online gambling, and offering online gambling services in some jurisdictions is a crime that can attract significant fines.

We are aware that countries could make law changes at any point, and we do not have a team of people able to monitor changes in different country’s gambling legislation, so to ensure Lotto NZ does not inadvertently breach another country’s laws we made the decision to ‘geo-block’ all play anywhere outside New Zealand.

If players are ever back in New Zealand, they are most welcome to play our games online or in-store, and they can still access their MyLotto account from overseas to withdraw any funds from it.

7 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Google "decentralized vpn's" and see the future of vpn's. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 3:36 PM, goldenbrwn1 said:

It does if you keep trying with different locations in the uk . I had the same problem with express vpn trying to get onto the William hill website which I did but as soon as I tried logging in it wouldn’t allow it because it knew I was using a vpn. After a few resets and different uk locations , I was finally able to log in . This was yesterday 

Hope you didn't play Arsenal

Re: Airfares.

Just one example that I found when booking European flights on sites like Ryanair etc. They often have really cheap deals to Eurpoean destinations from the UK but they are often just to hook you in, when you look at the return price, especially if you're booking a weekend away, you often find that its either a hideous price or its at a bad time or day.  Hence what looked like a really good deal turns out not be so good.  If you can't get a flight at the right price on the right day, you're also going to fork out more for additional accommodation/meals.

Last September I saw a Friday night flight to Krakow for £25 outbound. However, unless I was prepared to stay until the following Tuesday or Wednesday, the inbound flight was £141 (Monday). Then I looked at the same flight booked separately using a VPN and basing myself in Poland - £42.

I've never tried looking at long haul flights using a VPN but I have noticed that flights from Dublin to Bangkok are often a fair amount cheaper than Manchester to Bangkok with the same airline - could be other reasons for that though.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Any concerns?

https://mylotto.co.nz/faqs#:~:text=If you normally live overseas,not a New Zealand resident.

Lotto NZ does not hold a licence in any other country to offer online gambling, and offering online gambling services in some jurisdictions is a crime that can attract significant fines.

We are aware that countries could make law changes at any point, and we do not have a team of people able to monitor changes in different country’s gambling legislation, so to ensure Lotto NZ does not inadvertently breach another country’s laws we made the decision to ‘geo-block’ all play anywhere outside New Zealand.

If players are ever back in New Zealand, they are most welcome to play our games online or in-store, and they can still access their MyLotto account from overseas to withdraw any funds from it.

No concerns for me as I have been using a VPN to play NZ Lotto for many years. I have a NZ bank account and credit card and the VPN does it for me......although I have never won anything big, just the occasional few dollars, so will be quitting the NZ Lotto because of this.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, superal said:

It often comes down to a couple of factors:

1. what specific websites or apps a person is trying to use with the VPN... Some of them use specific technologies aimed at blocking VPN use. And some also blacklist IP ranges recognized as coming from VPN providers. I'm guessing, the major U.S. streaming providers are more active about this than other smaller ones  based in other countries.

2. Oddly, in my experience, it also can vary by what kind of VPN implementation a person is using. I've had situations where a particular streaming service did or didn't work when using the VPN setup via a router, and then got a different result when using the exact same VPN connection via the provider's own app.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 2:59 AM, xylophone said:

No concerns for me as I have been using a VPN to play NZ Lotto for many years. I have a NZ bank account and credit card and the VPN does it for me......although I have never won anything big, just the occasional few dollars, so will be quitting the NZ Lotto because of this.

I know it's doable, but given many sports and movie streaming website have blacklisted VPN IP Address, it would not be difficult for NZ Lotto to question you over your use of a VPN, and should they dig a little further, they may find you are out of the country when placing the bet, not to mention, gambling is illegal in Thailand, so, should you win something big, maybe they will not pay out. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2024 at 3:13 AM, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for this! I found this (albeit over 12 months old) actually on the Surfshark pages;   https://surfshark.com/blog/decentralized-vpn

Websites can't blacklist residential homes in the country you want to VPN to, and you are tunneling into to someone's home, for a small pay for what you use price. 

As decentralized VPN's gain in popularity, the days of geo blocking and IP Address blacklisting will be a thing of the past.    

• Thanks 1