VPN's

still kicking

So why do I need a VPN like many other users have? I am in my home country and not overseas what does a VPN do for me? Where I live, I can access any website with no problems. So, if I install a VPN does that mean I don't need a virus protection anymore (which is free on most sites) I do know it helps to access certain websites when you are overseas but why do I need my messages or website encrypted? As you all know I am a computer illiterate (76 years of age) So give me a simple explanation why I need it?

1 minute ago, timendres said:

You probably do not need it. There are a number of reasons why people might need VPN:

o Access content blocked by your country or ISP

o Accept media content not available in your country (e.g. Netflix US content from Thailand)

o Required by your company to access company resources in a secure fashion

o Attempt to hide your identity (not easy and VPN does not guarantee this)

o Secure passing of sensitive information on the open web (i.e., you are sending login information over a non-HTTPS connection).

Thank you 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, timendres said:

You probably do not need it. There are a number of reasons why people might need VPN:

o Access content blocked by your country or ISP

o Access media content not available in your country (e.g. Netflix US content from Thailand)

o Required by your company to access company resources in a secure fashion

o Attempt to hide your identity (not easy and VPN does not guarantee this)

o Secure passing of sensitive information on the open web (i.e., you are sending login information over a non-HTTPS connection).

Also thanks. I keep seeing ads on Facebook for nice little glossy things called VPNs but could never work out what they would do for an elderly simpleton like me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, blazes said:

In particular, if you were ever accessing sensitive information in a public place such as a mall or coffee shop

Yes, I know enough to organize my finances from home in advance of travel so I'm not moving money around on my MacBk while in a hotel.

12 minutes ago, Nemises said:

I use a VPN to book CHEAPER airfares from a “third world” country. Works every time, normally saving me around 12%. 

Do you not have to pay in the currency of the country from where you book your flight?

17 minutes ago, Nemises said:

I use a VPN to book CHEAPER airfares from a “third world” country. Works every time, normally saving me around 12%. 

I've heard that cheaper airfares is one reason to use a VPN. Care to share the name of the country where fares might be lower? Are fares priced in local currency, US Dollars or other? 

I started using NORD VPN last month. Very happy as it is needed to be able to login to a business site I must access, and also BBC iPlayer, Prime etc. from the UK. 

24 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Which countries you have found to work best for this purpose? 

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

So why do I need a VPN like many other users have? I am in my home country and not overseas what does a VPN do for me? Where I live, I can access any website with no problems. So, if I install a VPN does that mean I don't need a virus protection anymore (which is free on most sites) I do know it helps to access certain websites when you are overseas but why do I need my messages or website encrypted? As you all know I am a computer illiterate (76 years of age) So give me a simple explanation why I need it?

If you live in developed world and use pirated content esp torrents, use VPN to hide your ip and avoid lawyers going after you

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

It does if you keep trying with different locations in the uk . I had the same problem with express vpn trying to get onto the William hill website which I did but as soon as I tried logging in it wouldn’t allow it because it knew I was using a vpn. After a few resets and different uk locations , I was finally able to log in . This was yesterday 

Thanks . I have also tried different locations but to no avail . What is annoying is that these vpn sites all brag that they can access all sites  and one agent lists Express vpn as number 1 and Surfshark as number 2 . When I try to access W.Hill I get " you are using a data center and we need to know the country you are betting in as some countries do not allow "  . Yet I was able to access up to about 3 months ago . I am using the Surfshark extension with Chromebook .

22 minutes ago, superal said:

Surfshark V.P.N. does not get access to UK betting  sites.

Have you tried eMailing SurfShark? It's between Christmas and New Year now but, in normal times, I have received positive replies from them within one hour. First class customer service from SurfShark! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

You can subscribe to YouTube premium or Netflix via VPN from Turkey or Argentina, it is times cheaper than Australia.

When i was a subscriber to Netflix, it would block my access if they encountered a VPN.  (Incidentally i cancelled my sub in 2022 cos the new offerings were becoming more and more juvenile.)

Now i subscribe to FUBO TV for access to footy leagues around Europe, the EPL in particular ($25 per m), BUT if it spots my VPN on, it will prevent access.  Not a big deal for me, but....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I started using NORD VPN last month. Very happy as it is needed to be able to login to a business site I must access, and also BBC iPlayer, Prime etc. from the UK

This thread is very timely (again) because I posted on another VPN thread and recommended Smart DNS Proxy as my go-to solution, and in the main it's the best one I've tried, although just occasionally the picture seems to get a little fuzzy.

And just yesterday I couldn't get onto the BBC iPlayer with it (first time this has happened) so I thought I would switch back to Nord VPN, because I've still got a few months of subscription left, to watch Match of the Day, so I did that and all was fine, HOWEVER when I tried to switch to another program on iPlayer, I got the usual dreaded message about this content not being available in my part of the world (or similar).

So back over to Smart DNS Proxy and all was fine, so overall this is still the best bet for me, and cheaper than most.

Just one question for the more knowledgeable folks here: – I've noticed many advertisements for a little circular plug-in device for the TV which enables it to access hitherto "un-accessible" websites/channels, and was wondering if it was worth buying one to try to see if I could get onto the likes of Stan (Australia) without a subscription??? Anyone have any ideas on this?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

"don't need a virus protection anymore (which is free on most sites)"...

First, nothing is free, anywhere... but especially with software. If you are not paying for service, you are the product - and you are being sold (or at least everything about you is).

VPN, does not replace anti-virus or malware - it is just a different type of protection. Every time we go online, we risk having the data we transmit being intercepted... just like the cops in the movies listen in on cell phone conversations by snatching the microwaves out of the air.... A VPN prevents your transmissions from being sniffed and stolen by sending everything through a sort of tunnel that is hard to detect.

Do you need to worry about this sort of thing... perhaps not. But, what if... you are doing online banking? Or, using your credit card... Or, live in America and are talking about taxes (just kidding)... but do you really want your government, or other criminals, having unfettered access to everything you do?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

It does if you keep trying with different locations in the uk . I had the same problem with express vpn trying to get onto the William hill website which I did but as soon as I tried logging in it wouldn’t allow it because it knew I was using a vpn. After a few resets and different uk locations , I was finally able to log in . This was yesterday 

2 hours ago, superal said:

Thanks . I have also tried different locations but to no avail . What is annoying is that these vpn sites all brag that they can access all sites  and one agent lists Express vpn as number 1 and Surfshark as number 2 . When I try to access W.Hill I get " you are using a data center and we need to know the country you are betting in as some countries do not allow "  . Yet I was able to access up to about 3 months ago . I am using the Surfshark extension with Chromebook .

I use Express VPN and can never access my Will Hill account, even when I change UK location. Sky Bet can be hit and miss and sometimes need to change the location a few times before it lets me log on. Have no problem whatsoever accessing my Paddy's account. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keeps said:

I use Express VPN and can never access my Will Hill account, even when I change UK location. Sky Bet can be hit and miss and sometimes need to change the location a few times before it lets me log on. Have no problem whatsoever accessing my Paddy's account. 

Tbh I was persistent and tried several times inc resetting internet connection . Eventually it worked 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Tbh I was persistent and tried several times inc resetting internet connection . Eventually it worked 👍

I admire the persistence! I just hope that whatever you were having a punt on was a winner :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

This thread is very timely (again) because I posted on another VPN thread and recommended Smart DNS Proxy as my go-to solution, and in the main it's the best one I've tried, although just occasionally the picture seems to get a little fuzzy.

And just yesterday I couldn't get onto the BBC iPlayer with it (first time this has happened) so I thought I would switch back to Nord VPN, because I've still got a few months of subscription left, to watch Match of the Day, so I did that and all was fine, HOWEVER when I tried to switch to another program on iPlayer, I got the usual dreaded message about this content not being available in my part of the world (or similar).

So back over to Smart DNS Proxy and all was fine, so overall this is still the best bet for me, and cheaper than most.

Just one question for the more knowledgeable folks here: – I've noticed many advertisements for a little circular plug-in device for the TV which enables it to access hitherto "un-accessible" websites/channels, and was wondering if it was worth buying one to try to see if I could get onto the likes of Stan (Australia) without a subscription??? Anyone have any ideas on this?

yes, can happen occasionally with Nord (i've used Nord for a couple of years) however just switch servers and you'll get access again, or switch browsers, i've never not been able to use iplayer or any other uk channel with Nord

plus i got a deal with them, 36 months for around 60GBP. bargain.

I used to get a VPN service free with my Norton security subscription . Tried using it once in Thailand to watch BBC IPlayer but refused because it said I was in Singapore .

Shortly after that the VPN no longer worked and still doesn`t - maybe Norton no longer allows it due to VPNs not being legal in some countries ?

17 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Have you tried eMailing SurfShark? It's between Christmas and New Year now but, in normal times, I have received positive replies from them within one hour. First class customer service from SurfShark! 

Yes , I spoke to their C/S who admitted that W.Hill can detect that a VPN is being used . I have cancelled my recurring subs with S/S .