Bangkok Secures First Spot in Global Amount of Tourists in 2023 and Most Visited City

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

On December 27th, 2023, World of Statistics released its rankings, revealing the top 20 cities globally in terms of tourist arrivals for the year.

Arrivals doesn't always mean visitors... some are are connecting flights to other airports.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Is Bangkok a hub? Can you tell me a flight path that connects in Survanabhumi and goes onwards? I see nothing major. 

Singapore for sure. They have Emirates, Qatar connecting there for onwards flights to Australia with Qantas. 

Bangkok/Hong Kong and Bangkok Singapore are two of the most heavily travelled international routes, typically in the top 10 worldwide.

11 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Bangkok/Hong Kong and Bangkok Singapore are two of the most heavily travelled international routes, typically in the top 10 worldwide.

Yes but are these transit routes as some are saying, thus inflating the figures for arrivals. Or are these routes actually people travelling between the two countries ?

One thing that hurts the likes of London and New York these days is most work is now remotely done. So business wise they will see lesser numbers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Yes but are these transit routes as some are saying, thus inflating the figures for arrivals. Or are these routes actually people travelling between the two countries ?

One thing that hurts the likes of London and New York these days is most work is now remotely done. So business wise they will see lesser numbers. 

Something for you to play with :) Click on the Total traffic icon which shows transits also

https://investor.airportthai.co.th/transport.html

3 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

And it doesn't explain Phuket and Pattaya at #14 and 15.

11 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Pattaya has masses of visitors from within Bangkok.

Still how are they counting Pattaya numbers? Hotel occupancy? Arrivals at Utapoa? 

TAT can measure tourism in a number of ways. Arrivals and departures by nationality from AOT data along with supplementary traffic movements at non-AOT airports and from Immi data from border crossings. Tourist expenditure IS measured using sampling and from Visa/Mastercard reporting.  Sampling is the most likely means, the same tourism related outlets report the same data consistently every month, the results will be statistically reliable given the large volume of outlets surveyed. Plus all hotels are required to report details of all foreigners who stay, within 24 hours.

• Like 1

Bangkok Secures First Spot in Global Amount of Tourists in 2023 and Most Visited City

Transit passengers & tourists are accounted separately, isn't it? If not, all these statistics are useless!

People disputing these figures without presenting some solid, reliable details are also a waste of time IMHO

29 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

TAT can measure tourism in a number of ways. Arrivals and departures by nationality from AOT data along with supplementary traffic movements at non-AOT airports and from Immi data from border crossings. Tourist expenditure IS measured using sampling and from Visa/Mastercard reporting.  Sampling is the most likely means, the same tourism related outlets report the same data consistently every month, the results will be statistically reliable given the large volume of outlets surveyed. Plus all hotels are required to report details of all foreigners who stay, within 24 hours.

Hmmm that kind of data collection is open to plenty of abuse, especially self reporting. 

I would accept airport arrivals, but "traffic movements, etc" is a no for me. 

12 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Hmmm that kind of data collection is open to plenty of abuse, especially self reporting. 

Airport arrivals is known in the airline business as traffic movements and traffic reporting, short for plane traffic and passenger traffic, nothing to do with motor vehicles.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Sampling is an established and proven way to determine accurate statistics, as long as the sample is greater than 1,070. You might be surprised at the extent of its use globally, especially in helping to predict election results and budgets.

• Like 1

I think this article has been debunked, TAT admitted using data from 2019.

Khaosod English 
about an hour ago
  · 
Correction: The Tourism Authority of Thailand has on its FB page wrongly cited old stats regarding Bangkok being the most visited city in the world in 2023. The data, originally from Mastercards' Global Destination Cities Index in fact was from the year 2019. #Thailand #WhatsHappeningInThailand #Bangkok