Cost of living and where suggested in Vietnam

GregBow

• 1 month later...

Hi Greg, 

Surprised no replies yet.  I'm a kiwi in my early 60s and looking at Vietnam too. 

I think Thailand is going to hell, not the place I remember only 12 years ago. 

I'll keep you posted when I find more info.  If Vietnam doesn't pan out then  maybe Cambodia... Sihanoukville.  But I want to go look first.  Have heard both good and bad things about that place. 

Regards Andy 

I hope they start to issue 6 & 12 month visas soon again. I could see buying a condo here, in Nha Trang.

I've been very happy in Nha Trang for 40+ days (I got EU passport which gives me 45 days visa free).

Way better for me than Jomtien area where I used to be in Thailand. Cheaper too; 5 star hotel w breakfast less than $30/day for 2.

Negative things are heavy dangerous traffic, noise and pollution.

However, positive things are more numerous and this is a place I could live in retirement at least 5-6 months in winter.

PS. Everyone gets 30 day visa free to Phu Quoc island. Easy to go and check if you like it.

Edited by GypsyT
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I hope they start to issue 6 & 12 month visas soon again. I could see buying a condo here, in Nha Trang.

I've been very happy in Nha Trang for 40+ days (I got EU passport which gives me 45 days visa free).

Way better for me than Jomtien area where I used to be in Thailand. Cheaper too; 5 star hotel w breakfast less than $30/day for 2.

Negative things are heavy dangerous traffic, noise and pollution.

However, positive things are more numerous and this is a place I could live in retirement at least 5-6 months in winter.

PS. Everyone gets 30 day visa free to Phu Quoc island. Easy to go and check if you like it.

Not sure buying a condo in a country without a proper retirement visa would be the best move.

Everyone's opinion that I respect, and has spent lots of time in both (Nam & TH) tell me TH is better, much better.  Some things in Nam are less expensive, but the infrastructure is a decade or 2 behind TH.

Have the same air & water pollution issues of TH, with the added hassle of being closer to them typhoons that pop up over there during the 'season'.  The weather teeters out by the time it gets to TH.

Edited by KhunLA

"Everyone's opinion that I respect, and has spent lots of time in both (Nam & TH) tell me TH is better, much better."

When it's so easy and cheap to go and check by myself I prefer to do so. I also like to see all countries in Asia.

I do listen others, like I did when I backed out of FL retirement dream. I got very good advice here. Thanks for that!

8 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

"Everyone's opinion that I respect, and has spent lots of time in both (Nam & TH) tell me TH is better, much better."

When it's so easy and cheap to go and check by myself I prefer to do so. I also like to see all countries in Asia.

I do listen others, like I did when I backed out of FL retirement dream. I got very good advice here. Thanks for that!

Advised to give it pass, and no desire to sit on a plane or deal with airports, and then have to rent a scooter when there, which technically not allowed, along with the infrastructure a bit lacking, so pretty sure it would be a waste of time & money for us.  Even as a holiday, recon for retirement.

Watched some of Paddy Doyle's Nam YTs, very nice, but simply reinforced what I've been told & read.  First couple days there, his travels were hindered by numerous landslides, and having to wait till they were cleared.   Some lovely countryside though, but that's about it.  Not a city person myself, so no desire to hit 'those' tourist spots or live at.  And basically, just another SEA country, not really seeing the difference.

No real retirement visa, so that kills it completely, since liking stability, and as I don't do rentals, I would want a house with all the toys.  Not realistic there.

On 2/27/2024 at 9:13 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

Hi Greg, 

Surprised no replies yet.  I'm a kiwi in my early 60s and looking at Vietnam too. 

I think Thailand is going to hell, not the place I remember only 12 years ago. 

I'll keep you posted when I find more info.  If Vietnam doesn't pan out then  maybe Cambodia... Sihanoukville.  But I want to go look first.  Have heard both good and bad things about that place. 

Regards Andy 

Hi Andy

Sorry not answering before.

There are many agents in Vietnam who can arrange long term visas.

I can get detail of one the guys in HCM use if you like.

I had a work permit and was there for 8 years straight after being there 20+ years before.

Huge differences - for the better!

The issues in closing the company I was managing through insolvency make it unlikely that I can return but would if I could.

Been to most if the provinces and it is a truly lovely place.

Hard but loyal people and everything is there if you know where to look.

I can say the same for Thailand but I have now actually moved back to Australia after 30 years of working abroad for proximity to family and health reasons amongst others.

Best of luck and contact me if you want detail if visa lady

Greg

On 3/4/2024 at 12:56 PM, GypsyT said:

Agree, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia all good with slight differences.

Alcohol extremely cheap in PI and Cam, if you're a serious drinker they are the place to go.

Sightseeing and touring, Vietnam wins hands down.

Thailand has the cheapest accomodation and women.

Easiest to stay in Philippines, next Cambodia, then Thailand, and last Vietnam which has no long term VISA (unless you marry a local).

• Love It 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:22 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

Cheers for the info.  Hopefully they will adjust that and get onto the tourist/retirement train soon. 

I think it could be a good jaunt for us. 

Vietnam tried tat a few years ago, may retirement visas easy to get , then many of the people who couldnt afford the Thai retirement visa moved to Vietnam .

Vietnam saw what sort of people were coming to retire and discontinued the retirement visa

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2024 at 8:51 AM, Northstar1 said:

Vietnam has by far the friendliest people and accommodation and women are much cheaper than Thailand.

it’s a very beautiful country!

Yesssss! This is the big reason I prefer Vietnam over Thailand. 

Viet people are curious... girls much smarter. Da Nang is a real city... plus the other 2 big ones of course. Chiang Mai.. Phuket and Pattaya still don't have the city vibe...boring skyline. Da Nang is the newer upcoming city in all of SE Asia. 

• 2 weeks later...

For me Nha Trang wins hand down. DaNang has beautiful river bank walk but I didn't like rest of the city.

I'm back to EU now and already planning next winter in Nha Trang 😉

I also plan to continue train trips along the ocean, up & down.

PS. I miss Thai girls... and Thai food... but nothing else.