Wiring sockets.

STD Warehouse

Panasonic socket, one side has L other side has N, so why is there a blue and brown going into both sides? Is this correct?

it then runs two cables to the socket next to it, that socket, when I plug in my socket tester shows a fault “wire - neutral switch”

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4637.jpeg

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

Edited by STD Warehouse

No, it's not correct. 

Disconnect the second receptacle and check that the primary receptacle is correct. 

Once you confirm the primary is correct, wire the second receptacle the same. 

Blue is typically Neutral and brown typically  Line.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, it's not correct. 

Disconnect the second receptacle and check that the primary receptacle is correct. 

Once you confirm the primary is correct, wire the second receptacle the same. 

Blue is typically Neutral and brown typically  Line.

Socket tester says first socket is correct.

what have they done? Just randomly use blue and brown for live and neutral with no logic?

IMG_4642.jpeg

5 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

what have they done? Just randomly use blue and brown for live and neutral with no logic?

Yes

And if you see colors A, B and C used in one way on one socket, then don't assume they are used in the same way on the next socket.

Many Thai "electricians" work according to the motto: If you plug a fan in an outlet and it works then it works. L, N, earth are those little details which are only confusing and are ignored. 

• Like 1

The outlet is not controlled via any switch, so in theory, doesn't make any difference.

The "tester" is a two bob trinket, while showing active is present in the neutral pin, it does not give any affirmative indication on earth.

One illustrated example shows one thing for open ground while another shows it as different indication.

I'd be more concerned about the voltage levels shown.

3 hours ago, bluejets said:

The outlet is not controlled via any switch, so in theory, doesn't make any difference.

The "tester" is a two bob trinket, while showing active is present in the neutral pin, it does not give any affirmative indication on earth.

One illustrated example shows one thing for open ground while another shows it as different indication.

I'd be more concerned about the voltage levels shown.

Voltage levels are because house is last and in a long line on some crappy cable from mains on road and voltage drops a little house by house and ours is the last house…. So I’ve been told?

my wife’s going to PEA to get it sorted.

• Like 2