Russia unleashes what may be one of the biggest aerial barrages against Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

CharlieH

8 hours ago, rabas said:

But knowing a bit about Russia makes your call for genocidal destruction of Ukraine all the worse. You kind of sound like RT.

Hmmmmm. On seeing that I reviewed some of his posts and I find no mention of a "genocidal destruction of Ukraine". Perhaps you can inform me of which words he used to want that?

On the contrary, he seems aligned to my view that the entire catastrophe might have been avoided had Ukraine accepted reality and given some land and Crimea to Russia, along with a cast iron guarantee of not joining NATO. If that's not so, my apologies to him.

Whatever the Putin haters opinion of him may be, he's no fool, and only a fool wants to have a war if they can win without it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, rabas said:

I know the content in your links though Western experts don't have a good record deciphering the complexities of Russian propaganda, disinformation, and lies. If you understand something about Russian culture, as it seems you do, you may know Russians have the same trouble. 

But knowing a bit about Russia makes your call for genocidal destruction of Ukraine all the worse. You kind of sound like RT.

This is probably one of the best takes I've read on the social media war. Mainstream media with carefully curated narratives have led to this disconnect between expectation/hope and reality. As well as reading a wide range of serious publications I also took time to study Twitter and Redditt groups and detailed analysis by YouTube pundits ( something which is banned here) which allowed the viewing of real-time battle footage and pretty early on it was easy to see that the tired old tropes of shovels/washing machines and a Russian army in complete meltdown were largely propaganda and dangerous takes in understanding the nature of the beast.

In any case, a dirty peace where Ukraine gets to re-group, re-arm and see which way the future holds in terms of international support which is vital to victory if that is any longer achievable will prevent any further terrible suffering on both sides. Zelesniy has always hoped for unconditional support/NATO boots on the ground but is starkly apparent to even the most unseasoned observer that this is simply never going to happen.

The promised war-winning Western increase in munitions production simply has not materialised and  Russia has transitioned to a war economy, and its seizing of Western companies in response to a sanctions regime whose effects have proved the opposite to those intended, has granted Russia both renewed offensive potential and an economic boom to pay for it.

"Russia is never as strong as she looks; Russia is never as weak as she looks." (Attributed to multiple individuals, including Winston Churchill.)

https://unherd.com/thepost/did-social-media-activism-hurt-the-ukrainian-cause/

As a result of the internet attention economy, much of the discourse around the Ukraine war turned into reckless boosterism. Voices urging Ukrainian caution as the Kyiv government’s war aims escalated were shouted down as defeatists or pro-Russian propagandists. An unhealthy dynamic was created, where the most accurate analysis either retreated into closed discussion spaces or was carefully hedged into vapidity to avoid trolling by Ukraine’s online army of foreign cheerleaders. Most dangerously, to even broach the idea that Russia retained vast and underused military potential would bring accusations of closet Putinism.

As only the most optimistic Kyiv claims were shared, it created, according to the former Ukrainian defence minister Oleksiy Reznikov’s head of communications Iryna Zolotar, “a confusing narrative where ‘expectations are overstated and do not correspond to the real state of affairs.’” And as Zolotar remarks, “the current strategy had left audiences in the West asking why they should contribute their taxpayers’ money if Ukraine was always ‘about to win.’”

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 1/3/2024 at 1:38 PM, Wobblybob said:

Western media are truly independent and can print or say whatever they chose to report without interference from our governments etc, Western media is not always perfect and sometimes get it wrong, but they are still a million miles from the lying Russian bile that continuously is pumped out by Putin and his crones.

Western MSM has become a mouthpiece and cheerleader for the left.  More specifically, for the Democratic party.  With 10x as many US journalists identifying as Dems as Repubs.  A far cry from "truly independent", and getting worse every year.  Unless you're willing to scrounge through the right wing counterbalance, then do some rather time consuming digging through the links and original source material.  Sadly, most Americans would prefer 10 second sound bites, and be hypnotized by the echo.

Edit:  I say scrounge because the right wing stuff is usually less well funded and not nearly as slick and entertaining, with a few exceptions. 

journos.png.ac046703bd368add6bcd9834fcc0e978.png

https://www.theamericanjournalist.org/_files/ugd/46a507_4fe1c4d6ec6d4c229895282965258a7a.pdf

The linked PDF has a lot of good info, in addition to the posted graph.  But I'd bet 90% of the members here won't even bother.

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 5
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

Western MSM has become a mouthpiece and cheerleader for the left.  More specifically, for the Democratic party.  With 10x as many US journalists identifying as Dems as Repubs.  A far cry from "truly independent", and getting worse every year.  Unless you're willing to scrounge through the right wing counterbalance, then do some rather time consuming digging through the links and original source material.  Sadly, most Americans would prefer 10 second sound bites, and be hypnotized by the echo.

Edit:  I say scrounge because the right wing stuff is usually less well funded and not nearly as slick and entertaining, with a few exceptions. 

journos.png.ac046703bd368add6bcd9834fcc0e978.png

https://www.theamericanjournalist.org/_files/ugd/46a507_4fe1c4d6ec6d4c229895282965258a7a.pdf

The linked PDF has a lot of good info, in addition to the posted graph.  But I'd bet 90% of the members here won't even bother.

A whole lot of 'independents', it seems.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Claiming to be unbiased and truly being unbiased are two very different things.

Claiming bias and sources being biased are two very different things.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1