Ken Dodd - wot 'e said!

40 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

I totally recommend having one in the car, it is supposed to start up to 6l petrol and 5l diesel

Thanks, I’ll have to get a couple of those 

• Haha 1

Just been on the Lazada site and cannot figure out what this box does. Nor can I understand the description which says 600amp at one plave and 99800 mA at another.

By the way, it is now Bht 39,99.

Do you charge it up via a USB/phone charger, and then use it to jump start your car? How long does it take to charge up enough to give out almost 99 amps, when it takes a few hours to charge up my phone. 

Sorry to hear about Mr Dodd's father's canine pet's demise!

Edited by KannikaP

Just now, KannikaP said:

Do you charge it up via a USB/phone charger, and then use it to jump start your car?

Phone charger is 5v. car battery is 12v. You figure it out,🤔

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Phone charger is 5v. car battery is 12v. You figure it out,🤔

To put say 1000 watts of energy into a battery/power bank at 5 volts, would take 1000/5 = 200 hours. (Ohm's Law, VxA=W)

If your car needs 90 amps to start it at 12 volts, it would take 90x12 = 1080 watts.

Have I figured it out yet?

Edited by KannikaP

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

To put say 1000 watts of energy into a battery/power bank at 5 volts, would take 1000/5 = 200 hours. (Ohm's Law, VxA=W)

If your car needs 90 amps to start it at 12 volts, it would take 90x12 = 1080 watts.

Have I figured it out yet?

No. Because 5V is not 12v. Regardless of capacity.

You could probably use 12v aux./cigarette lighter socket if the unit in question comes with a cable but not a mobile phone charger. 

30 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

No. Because 5V is not 12v. Regardless of capacity.

You could probably use 12v aux./cigarette lighter socket if the unit in question comes with a cable but not a mobile phone charger. 

But the unit has USB ports on it, and the blurb says it can be used to charge a phone.

And are you saying that the 12v ciggie lighter socket on the same vehicle can be used to start that vehicle.

Very confusing.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Just been on the Lazada site and cannot figure out what this box does. Nor can I understand the description which says 600amp at one plave and 99800 mA at another.

That is not quite correct, it says 99800mAh, which means that it has the ability to provide 99.8 amps for 1 hour, or  400 amps for about 15 minutes, or 600 amps for about 10 minutes.

Battery technology must have come a long way to handle such large discharge currents in a small device.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

But the unit has USB ports on it, and the blurb says it can be used to charge a phone.

And are you saying that the 12v ciggie lighter socket on the same vehicle can be used to start that vehicle.

Very confusing.

It can charge from the 12v ciggie socket.

To start the car you use the two leads and attached to battery.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

It can charge from the 12v ciggie socket.

If it comes with adaptor cable. But I guess one could cobble one up, There are some on , for instance, Amazon which come with an adaptor cable. The unit in the OP's post comes with a 220v adaptor.

Edited by VocalNeal

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Very confusing.

You are getting mixed up. It says it has 4 USB charging ports which will be output to charge USB devices. It also says it has a 5v charging port which will be the input to charge the device itself. It doesn't say what type of port but probably a charger similar to a laptop.

There should be no talk of lighter sockets as you couldn't possibly start a vehicle from that if the vehicle had a flat battery.

It talks about a 3 hour charging time which I suspect would have to be mains, a 12v source would probably take more like 3 days.

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If it comes with adaptor cable. But I guess one could cobble one up, There are some on , for instance, Amazon which come with an adaptor cable. The unit in the OP's post comes with a 220v adaptor.

Mine come with both 12v and 22v charge cables.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

It also says it has a 5v charging port which will be the input to charge the device itself.

No As you indicate it does say in one picture 5v charging port, has nothing to do with charging the unit.  

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Where do I find it?

Just right of centre under the dash - bit of a back-breaker getting to contort to see it. I broke it away from the metal bracket to get both hands on the appropriate terminal on the wires and couldn't re-fit it - arthritis - so just zip-tied it back up.

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

No As you indicate it does say in one picture 5v charging port, has nothing to do with charging the unit.  

Are you saying the device has no port to charge the internal battery?

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

FYI it could have just been the starter. just saying.

Unlikely - both starter and relay are brand new as of a couple of months ago.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Are you saying the device has no port to charge the internal battery?

It has not port dedicated to charging the internal battery but the original quandry was about 5v charging from a phone charger.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

No pulling the wool over your eyes is there Mr Pedantic.

Not being pedantic for the sake of it simply trying to get others to realize they cannot charge a 12v battery pack from a 5v source. 

I've got this version of it. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3800083363-s14464322842.html

I've not used it for jump-starting, but the air pump does the job. I've also charged a phone from it. I don't know how long it takes to charge up, but I charged it overnight using the wall charger about 6 months ago, and it's still showing 3/4 of bars charged.

20240101_133424.jpg

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

One  of the photos shows a standard input port alongside the USB ports.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

By the way, it is now Bht 39,99.

Do you charge it up via a USB/phone charger, and then use it to jump start your car? How long does it take to charge up enough to give out almost 99 amps, when it takes a few hours to charge up my phone. 

Sorry to hear about Mr Dodd's father's canine pet's demise!

It comes with a mains charger and a charging port - not usb - and it showed 4 light meaning 4/4 full charge, went to 3 after starting the truck and took around 1 1/2 hours to charge up full again so not a problem..

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

One  of the photos shows a standard input port alongside the USB ports.

Oh really. Finally we might be getting somewhere? And the other photo🤔

OK nobody really wants to know the truth as is the norm on AN. So let's put this to bed?

b3f10568a03b6e73aaffc75e1701b8a6.jpg_220

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Also a cigar-lighter plug adapter and a USB lead as well.

• Thumbs Up 2