Ken Dodd - wot 'e said!

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Very handy for a flat battery then    :sorry: I'll get my hat.

If you bothered to look at the picture, you can see that it comes with jump leads, I just haven't had cause to use them. 

8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I've got this version of it. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3800083363-s14464322842.html

I've not used it for jump-starting, but the air pump does the job. I've also charged a phone from it. I don't know how long it takes to charge up, but I charged it overnight using the wall charger about 6 months ago, and it's still showing 3/4 of bars charged.

20240101_133424.jpg

Going by the amount of negative reviews in that listing, I'm gonna pass on it

Just now, Polar Bear said:

If you bothered to look at the picture, you can see that it comes with jump leads, I just haven't had cause to use them. 

Humor not your thing then. Try to have a HAPPY new year.

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Going by the amount of negative reviews in that listing, I'm gonna pass on it

I was dubious, but I needed it in a hurry, and most of the negative reviews suggest the battery was bad from day one (swollen, wouldn't charge, etc.) or were about poor packaging, so I figured I'd know quickly if there was a problem, but it's been fine. YMMV of course. 

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

It has not port dedicated to charging the internal battery but the original quandry was about 5v charging from a phone charger.

The input port is shown as being 5v but you are assuming that drawing is correct. The only way you would really know the input voltage would be to check the charger(s) that come with device.

You are right in what you say, phone chargers would be unsuitable for this type of device in the same way they are unsuitable for a laptop.

I bought one when after my car battery was accidentally drained while out shopping (wife left sidelights on in carpark). I used it once after that to start a friends car. Worked great. But I left it in the boot afterward and forgot about it. A neighbour recently asked me to jump start him. I dug out the gizmo, but found it was flat too. So they work great, but you need to remember to check em every few months to be sure you have charge remaining.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The only way you would really know the input voltage would be to check the charger(s) that come with device.

Or have in my possession a LiPo charger. The answer is 14.4V, 

Edited by VocalNeal

55 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Oh really. Finally we might be getting somewhere? And the other photo🤔

OK nobody really wants to know the truth as is the norm on AN. So let's put this to bed?

b3f10568a03b6e73aaffc75e1701b8a6.jpg_220

You are fixated on output ports, try looking at the input port.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

You are fixated on output ports, try looking at the input port.

I'm not fixated on anything other than one cannot charge a 12v battery using a 5v source. Where are these said input ports you speak of.🤔 Perhaps you would post a picture. 

There are 12v connections for the high current leads one connects to the car battery. They can be used for charging.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Not being pedantic for the sake of it simply trying to get others to realize they cannot charge a 12v battery pack from a 5v source. 

You shouldn't make such bold statements. It could be done using 3x4v cells and a switched charging circuit, but unlikely to be commercially viable.

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Where are these said input ports you speak of.🤔 Perhaps you would post a picture. 

Why would I need  to post a picture, it is in the link provided by the OP.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry to hear about Mr Dodd's father's canine pet's demise!

Ha Ha  , that is the first thing I thought of when I read the title.......

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why would I need  to post a picture, it is in the link provided by the OP.

Then why ask me. Other than to prolong a "discussion"

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It could be done using 3x4v cells

They probably are 3.8v cells connected in series. As that is a common cell. If the charger is slick it would have balancing connections.

Edited by VocalNeal

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You might have got dressed before taking the photo!

image.png.f16a25d8f1e5c3d33b70638ba587e4fe.png

That is dressed pal, it's hot here in case you live in Lapland, in my own home i wear boxers only. Not out to drive anyone mad with desire or make fashion statements - ok? 

And for the rest of you with better manners than LL - the unit is already charging in my picture., the lead is plugged into the charging port and is from the charger in the wall socket.

image modified below for those with a delicate disposition - alright Lou?9654(2).png.07cdf3064c628ee2f20a268bbcf41009.png