New laptop?

9 minutes ago, NextG said:

But Mr Kicking, make sure to save the article as a bookmark on your phone browser, or download it onto your phone, as you will not be able to follow the instructions on your PC. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

ME going forward. I have as much knowledge regarding Windows PCs as most people in the IT business having used Windows since DOS days. and am quite happy to extent it to members here who ask for help. Unfortunately hindered by ones 'who know better'.

It seems your ‘extensive’ knowledge did not extend to the simple concept that I introduced, until now. 
Now you are pretending that it was all so obvious, whilst somehow forgetting that you tied your wagon to @scottiejohn

I guess you are just one of those who has forgotten who often advised you in the first place… Usernames may change by my memory does not 😊

• Sad 2

Personally i wouldn't try to upgrade an 8 year old laptop. Just get a new one with decent RAM and ROM a newish processor and W11. You can get them here 15-20,000 baht. If it lasts 8 years that's 6 baht a day ! Even i can afford that.

50 minutes ago, NextG said:

It seems your ‘extensive’ knowledge did not extend to the simple concept that I introduced, until now. 
Now you are pretending that it was all so obvious, whilst somehow forgetting that you tied your wagon to @scottiejohn

I guess you are just one of those who has forgotten who often advised you in the first place… Usernames may change by my memory does not 😊

Please PM me to tell me what you mean.

49 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Personally i wouldn't try to upgrade an 8 year old laptop. Just get a new one with decent RAM and ROM a newish processor and W11. You can get them here 15-20,000 baht. If it lasts 8 years that's 6 baht a day ! Even i can afford that.

He’s not even in Thailand. Wake up! 😊

He can install Windows 11 for free. Decent RAM and ROM doesn’t need a new laptop. 
Doesn’t need a ‘newish processor’ for surfing and email. 
Are you going to guarantee his new laptop for eight years?

If the laptop is 8 years old and is ‘upgraded’ – will it be able to run Windows 11?

My Surface Pro 5 is only 4 years old.

I have TPM 2.0, but Windows says my CPU is insufficient (or not supported) for installing Windows 11.

I checked on Google - seems complicated to work around – like have to go into registry.

Anyone know of an easy way to work around, apart from switching to Linux.

MS support on Windows 10 will stop in October 2025.

I know it is a way off but I’m looking at having to change the battery and it may not be a worthwhile investment if I cannot upgrade to Windows 11.

I want a Windows version that is supported as I do banking / financial work on the laptop.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, John49 said:

I checked on Google - seems complicated to work around – like have to go into registry.

5 Ways to Install Windows 11 on Unsupported Hardware (CPU & TPM) (technastic.com)

It will take you a lot longer to learn Linux than to do this simple registry edit.

Edited by KannikaP

54 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Forget it Scottie. There was 2G, then 3G, 4G, now 5G. He is so advanced he is NextG, and is ALWAYS correct.  555

You are right… But I wasn’t always NextG 😊

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

5 Ways to Install Windows 11 on Unsupported Hardware (CPU & TPM) (technastic.com)

It will take you a lot longer to learn Linux than to do this simple registry edit.

No need for any Registry edit in his case. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, John49 said:

If the laptop is 8 years old and is ‘upgraded’ – will it be able to run Windows 11?

My Surface Pro 5 is only 4 years old.

I have TPM 2.0, but Windows says my CPU is insufficient (or not supported) for installing Windows 11.

MS support on Windows 10 will stop in October 2025.

I know it is a way off but I’m looking at having to change the battery and it may not be a worthwhile investment if I cannot upgrade to Windows 11.

I want a Windows version that is supported as I do banking / financial work on the laptop.

It’s not an issue, you can upgrade as normal without any changes to the Registry. 

Instead of getting the upgrade via Windows Update, you simply do it via installation media. Create the installation media and run setup.exe as Administrator. 
You’ll only get a warning that they don’t support your CPU and therefore they cannot GUARANTEE support. That doesn’t mean that it won’t work or that you won’t receive updates. It just means that since it doesn’t meet the minimum requirements, they are not responsible for any slowness or incompatibility. But no one who has installed it on an ‘incompatible’ device has complained of any issues. It’s just that Microsoft don’t want to be responsible for millions of older devices. But it will be fine, as you will still receive updates and your Browsers etc will be the latest versions. Don’t panic. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QXiaqSCAKuI

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, NextG said:

It’s not an issue, you can upgrade as normal without any changes to the Registry. 

Instead of getting the upgrade via Windows Update, you simply do it via installation media. Create the installation media and run setup.exe as Administrator. 
You’ll only get a warning that they don’t support your CPU and therefore they cannot GUARANTEE support. That doesn’t mean that it won’t work or that you won’t receive updates. It just means that since it doesn’t meet the minimum requirements, they are not responsible for any slowness or incompatibility. But no one who has installed it on an ‘incompatible’ device has complained of any issues. It’s just that Microsoft don’t want to be responsible for millions of older devices. But it will be fine, as you will still receive updates and your Browsers etc will be the latest versions. Don’t panic. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QXiaqSCAKuI

I saw this video earlier and the comment:

Did not work: Oct 17, 2021: Surface 5 LTE Intel Core i5-7300U 2.6-2.71GHz: Windows 11 Install Stopped: "The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows"

My CPU is same but not LTE, so I think same will happen to me…

There is a solution with another comment (mentions the ‘register’?):

EDIT THE WINDOWS LOG in this way: Click the Start button, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK Locate the Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ Setup \ MoSetup subkey it can be found either by copying the address in the search box, or by opening the folders HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SYSTEM> Setup> MoSetup in sequence In the right panel click with the right mouse button and select New> DWORD (32-bit) value Name the new value as AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU Double-click on the new value created and type 1 in the Value Data field, then click Ok and close the register

This goes further than the easier instructions in the video.

Maybe I’ll try later…

Worried something will stuff up…

Thanks for your comment that puts it all into perspective:

It just means that since it doesn’t meet the minimum requirements, they are not responsible for any slowness or incompatibility….

It’s just that Microsoft don’t want to be responsible for millions of older devices…etc. “

That’s good to know!

24 minutes ago, John49 said:

I saw this video earlier and the comment:

Did not work: Oct 17, 2021: Surface 5 LTE Intel Core i5-7300U 2.6-2.71GHz: Windows 11 Install Stopped: "The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows"

My CPU is same but not LTE, so I think same will happen to me…

There is a solution with another comment (mentions the ‘register’?):

EDIT THE WINDOWS LOG in this way: Click the Start button, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK Locate the Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ Setup \ MoSetup subkey it can be found either by copying the address in the search box, or by opening the folders HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SYSTEM> Setup> MoSetup in sequence In the right panel click with the right mouse button and select New> DWORD (32-bit) value Name the new value as AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU Double-click on the new value created and type 1 in the Value Data field, then click Ok and close the register

This goes further than the easier instructions in the video.

Maybe I’ll try later…

Worried something will stuff up…

Thanks for your comment that puts it all into perspective:

It just means that since it doesn’t meet the minimum requirements, they are not responsible for any slowness or incompatibility….

It’s just that Microsoft don’t want to be responsible for millions of older devices…etc. “

That’s good to know!

If you are concerned about the installation media method failing then do the Registry fix that bypasses the check for the CPU as suggested earlier. 

But you don’t need to go digging around in the Registry, as you can simply apply it to the Registry by applying the appropriate Reg file. Takes a couple of seconds and it’s done. You can check the contents of the file as are they should be, before applying it. That may take twenty seconds to check and double check 😊

Instructions can be found here, together with the appropriate Reg file ready for download: https://ocraz.com/2021/10/15/surface-pro-3-upgrading-to-windows-11/

On 1/3/2024 at 1:41 AM, soi3eddie said:

If you can upgrade to 8GB of RAM memory (or more) and an SSD drive (size of your choice) then reinstall Windows 10, you'll get a new computer experience for sure. Should cost from just 80 USD (depends on RAM and SSD capacity) and a bit of time to do so. This is what I do to extend life of laptops I seem to acquire.

I already did that the moment I first purchased my laptop, in 2015...a fairly cheap Acer.

But now, it's the gpu (which is just the gpu offered by INTEL on the CPU) that is not up to snuff, and getting almost too slow to operate a 27 inch monitor connected to the laptop.

The thing often overheats, too.

Maybe I should have it cleaned or clean it myself.

But still, I think it is too slow.

I am too cheap to buy a new one.

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I already did that the moment I first purchased my laptop, in 2015...a fairly cheap Acer.

But now, it's the gpu (which is just the gpu offered by INTEL on the CPU) that is not up to snuff, and getting almost too slow to operate a 27 inch monitor connected to the laptop.

I’m getting flashbacks with regard to your ACER. As if I had words with you in regard to the processor 😊

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I have as much knowledge regarding Windows PCs as most people in the IT business

And thought that on bootup the BIOS "file" is loaded from disk. :cheesy: Don't really understand most basic concepts. Able to Google as needed, however. Which of course can be useful for those who can't.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

And thought that on bootup the BIOS "file" is loaded from disk. :cheesy: Don't really understand most basic concepts. Able to Google as needed, however. Which of course can be useful for those who can't.

Did I say that? 

We all know that the bios is stored on an eprom on the motherboard.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

By the way:

Would it be possible, anyone know, if it is possible to buy a used motherboard upgrade which could be installed on an older Acer laptop, such as that which the OP has, and I have?

If so, I would also consider doing this.

• Confused 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:17 AM, KannikaP said:

I too am 76 years old and have just installed Windows 11 onto an Acer laptop which is not up to spec for it. 

There is really no reason to upgrade to Windows 11....YET.....

Wait a couple of years.......

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

There is really no reason to upgrade to Windows 11....YET.....

Wait a couple of years.......

W12 will be out by then. Why wait to upgrade to a much better OS.

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes, I must have forgotten saying it if I actually did. Please show me my post.

I'm not digging thru posts to find it for you. Anyway, since then you've googled (google ergo sum) so won't be claiming that again.

Edited by BigStar

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I'm not digging thru posts to find it for you. Anyway, since then you've googled so won't be claiming that again.

So please do not quote the information you allege I  posted. If you are saying it from your memory, you must have plenty of RAM in your head.

And what's this about Google please?

Edited by KannikaP

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

W12 will be out by then. Why wait to upgrade to a much better OS.

For one thing, my  ACER Aspire V3 111P does not support Windows 11.

Also, I have no need for a better OS than Windows 10 for my desktops.

Better I wait.

Even an hour of upgrading to Windows 11 is not worth any very minor advantages.

If my computer works well for my purposes, then no need to change.

I am sure many companies feel the same.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So please do not quote the information you allege I  posted. If you are saying it from your memory, you must have plenty of RAM in your head.

I will definitely remind you of past ignorance, esp. after some laughable pretension. Previously you've forgotten, on the forum, what meds you take.

Yep, good memory, probably comes from health & fitness.

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And what's this about Google please?

Obviously, that your googling has revealed that BIOS isn't loaded from disk. You may have googled as soon as I posted, in fact. :)

On 1/3/2024 at 10:17 AM, KannikaP said:

I too am 76 years old and have just installed Windows 11 onto an Acer laptop which is not up to spec for it. 

And so...

What are the tangible improvements that you have found using Windows 11 on an Acer laptop?

Mine is a  Aspire V3 111P 

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Another Acer victim, get a Mac book, they don't heat up and there is not even a fan. Cool runnings.

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

For one thing, my  ACER Aspire V3 111P does not support Windows 11.

Also, I have no need for a better OS than Windows 10 for my desktops.

Better I wait.

Even an hour of upgrading to Windows 11 is not worth any very minor advantages.

If my computer works well for my purposes, then no need to change.

I am sure many companies feel the same.

As has been posted by some experts recently, almost ANY PC can run W11 if it ran W10. Almost any!

How do you know what W11 can do for you if you have never tried it.

You begrudge an hour of time upgrading to W11. How many HOURS do you waste typing some of your posts for Asean Now?

If your 1965 Ford Anglia gets you from A to B, then no need to change. 

• Agree 1