Internal hard drives, buy in Thailand or from overseas (half price)?

BritManToo

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Everything from HDD and SSD i have seen from china sellers on both Shopee and Lazada were fake.

I go through the reviews with images, and also the images in the listing, and all had plenty of evidence that they were fake

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, as others mentioned, if you are going to buy HDD locally, only buy from JIB or Banana or other official vendors. You can buy from their official store on Lazada or directly at their brick and mortar store (same price). If you're gonna purchase from HD overseas, those ebay drives are refurbished - not new - and more importantly, no warranty. The last thing I personally would put in my NAS is a refurbished HD with no warranty. If you want the cheapest drive, with full 3 year warranty, just purchase from Amazon. You'll get free shipping (normally under 2 weeks). Price beats any legit Thailand price by a decent amount.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Looking for a NAS internal hard drive,Seagate Ironwolf,  are the one from overseas all fake?

Yes they are. Specially as Segate makes most of its hard drives in Thailand 

FWIW SWMBO started work in their factory when she was about 16~18

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I bought two SSD's, 1 terrabyte each, from both Lazada and Shopee, price around 1000 baht each.

Both were fake.

Be careful!

A computer illiterate friend in Jomtien called me for help as his new external 1 TB HDD (3.5") could not be formatted (bought online somewhere...).

After looking at screenshot and head scratching I found that this c.ap identified as 10(!!) TB 😁

Price though was really good at 800 Baht. But for a paperweight too much.

I told him for his next shopping at Friendship to walk another 100 m to Advice and buy a working piece.

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A computer illiterate friend in Jomtien called me for help as his new external 1 TB HDD (3.5") could not be formatted.

After looking at screenshot and head scratching I found that this c.ap identified as 10(!!) TB 😁

Price though was really good at 800 Baht. But for a paperweight too much.

I told him for his next shopping at Friendship to walk another 100 m to Advice and buy a working piece.

Having read all your comments, I pulled out an old 1TB drive from my Zyxel 2 bay NAS, and put it in my Synology DS223j 2 bay NAS.

Seems to work, and I've plugged a 4TB WD USB drive in the back.

Buy from an official seller. I purchased a seagate 5tb portable drive for my portable NAS last year and subsequently dropped it making it worthless. North America seagate replaced it on warranty with no issues with it being purchased in Thailand. I'm sure if I had purchased it online at a discounted price.

You can check the serial number of your drive on seagate.com to see what the actual warranty for that drive is. 

I don't think they're fake, but are they genuinely new and unused?

I did some research on Ironwolfs being sold on Aliexpress last year.  Some of the reviews showed serial numbers and I was able to do a warranty check from Seagate.

Being as the Pro versions are supposed to come with 5 year warranty, the 3 drives I checked were all around 2 years into their 5 year warranty.

Possibly they've been sat on a shelf for 2 years, but then again maybe they've been running 24/7.   As they were pretty much half the official new price you have to suspicious I think.  I decided not to take a chance.

The 3 in the pictures here were warranty checked in June 2023...

ali iw age 12tb.png

ali iw age.png

ali ironwolf serial number.jpg

1 hour ago, ed79 said:

Being as the Pro versions are supposed to come with 5 year warranty, the 3 drives I checked were all around 2 years into their 5 year warranty.

Possibly they've been sat on a shelf for 2 years, but then again maybe they've been running 24/7. 

Doesn't the 5yr warranty period start when it is purchased by an end user customer and not when bought by a supplier/shop?

26 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Doesn't the 5yr warranty period start when it is purchased by an end user customer and not when bought by a supplier/shop?

I believe Seagate uses manufacture date. You might be able to argue to get sale date if you have the docs. Be forewarned, dealing with Seagate customer support can be trying at best. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I bought two SSD's, 1 terrabyte each, from both Lazada and Shopee, price around 1000 baht each.

Both were fake.

Be careful!

Yes.

Nobody sells genuine 1 TByte SSd for Bt.1000

The price of RAM/MemoryChips is sort of a commodity, worldwide prices of RAM/Memory are what they are.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

I can't remember the exact wording form Seagate, but if you buy "retail" from an official supplier then the warranty is from purchase date as long as you can supply a receipt (maybe you even have to register to start the warranty online with them).

But the AliExpress / overseas suppliers would 100% be classed as OEM and these warranties start when Seagate supplies to the re-seller.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I believe Seagate uses manufacture date. You might be able to argue to get sale date if you have the docs. Be forewarned, dealing with Seagate customer support can be trying at best. 

I think you do not deal with seagate but with synnex or equivalent. If the drive has problems and you have the dated purchase receipt I'm sure they will honour the warranty.

I was interested in some usb drives, 128GB and 256GB and were priced at about 150baht. Suspicious of course but hundreds of the reviews for some bizarre reason mostly show 5 stars. I asked a question on the online platform website and received answers that the usb thumbdrives were fake.

Don't know how these companies are allowed to peddle fake branded goods on the well know online platform sites.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

All the cheap Hard Drives and high capacity thumb drives are fake.

And this happens unhindered since such devices exist.

First story was from a mate who bought a USB stick with some high capacity (at the time) and soon realized that his data gets lost. And that was in the 200x years.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ed79 said:

I did some research on Ironwolfs being sold on Aliexpress last year.  Some of the reviews showed serial numbers and I was able to do a warranty check from Seagate.

Typically the product description states new or used. Consumers may prefer used for lower prices. We don't like used goods here and will scaremonger if given opportunity. But, if from a reputable, well-reviewed vendor, it's usually OK for non-mission critical applications. I have a couple of drives bought used that are fine for miscellaneous backups and data transport. SMART indicators good, power on hours reasonable, self-tests passed, capacity as advertised. I'm not worried. I'd buy one of the ebay drives if I needed that kind of capacity. In everyday use my drives always last longer than the warranty period, Seagate, WD, Toshiba, whatever. I believe it's because I keep them cool. But reddit has many tales of drives still humming along after 10 years.

Buy a HD from a bricks and mortar shop here, one can always go back to the shop if it is a dud.

Buy something on the internet, good luck getting a refund, even if the seller is still trading in the same name. Some change names like they change socks.

I only buy stuff on the internet where it's no big deal if things go wrong.

8 hours ago, freeworld said:

I was interested in some usb drives, 128GB and 256GB and were priced at about 150baht. Suspicious of course but hundreds of the reviews for some bizarre reason mostly show 5 stars. I asked a question on the online platform website and received answers that the usb thumbdrives were fake.

While the ridiculously price USB drives may not actually be fake the write speed is extremely slow, slower even than floppy disk speeds.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Having read all your comments, I pulled out an old 1TB drive from my Zyxel 2 bay NAS, and put it in my Synology DS223j 2 bay NAS.

Seems to work, and I've plugged a 4TB WD USB drive in the back.

Synology DiskStations are great. As you have 2 bays it really is best to use 2 drives in the unit. You'll then be able to use the benefit of their Btrfs (similar to RAID array) and protect data in case one of the discs fails. I use mine at my UK place as a VPN for when in Thailand. Good as a back-up and for remote file storage retrieval. Previously used their included surveillance station for home CCTV. 

I've had too many bad experiences with 'bargain' drives here. I only buy from JIB and InvadeIT now. I'm sure there are other reputable sellers, but those are the two I've never had a problem with. 

If you are interested, I also have 2 x Ironwolf 8TB NAS drives available since my last upgrade. Only one is still in warranty, though.

Be aware that Seagate warranties are region-specific. If it's not a Thai-registered drive, the warranty is pretty much worthless here. 

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Synology DiskStations are great. As you have 2 bays it really is best to use 2 drives in the unit. You'll then be able to use the benefit of their Btrfs (similar to RAID array) and protect data in case one of the discs fails. I use mine at my UK place as a VPN for when in Thailand. Good as a back-up and for remote file storage retrieval. Previously used their included surveillance station for home CCTV. 

2 bays + 2 USB = 4 drives, I'll have 1TB internally and 10TB externally (once my new 5TB WD arrives)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

If you are interested, I also have 2 x Ironwolf 8TB NAS drives available since my last upgrade. Only one is still in warranty, though.

How old are they exactly? SMART indicators all good? Power on hours? Pass longer self-tests?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Price on each?

By PM if you prefer.

Edited by BritManToo

Sorry, I don't have all the information on hand because I had no particular plan to sell them. I'll sell them for roughly half what a decent store is selling them new. Individually, the one in warranty (until Sept) will be a little more than half, the other a little less. One was manufactured 2019 the other 2021.  They were fine and passing all the tests when I took them out last year (July ish?). If I kept the results, and I can find them, I'll post them. But if someone is interested, I'll reinstall them and run it all again. Not till next week, though. The new semester starts on Monday and I am swamped right now.