Any US Social security recipients out there doing direct deposits?

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Since you said your original DD form showed a "SWIFT" code that means you were signed up for DD via the International Direct Deposit (IDD) program which uses the SWIFT system (uses SWIFT codes to identify the bank); you were not signed up for the standard DD program that uses the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system which uses "routing numbers" to identify the bank.   Direct deposit via IDD and ACH are two completely separate funds transfer systems....two different animals....it like riding in a taxi vs a bus...riding a train vs a plane....two different funds transfer systems.

The SWIFT code for Bangkok Bank is:  BKKBTHBK "or" BKKBTHJBKXXX.   Either one works fine....the XXX is just an extended version of the basic code...either one works fine. Most people probably just use the basic code without the XXX added on.  

The ACH Routing Number for Bangkok Bank is: 026008681

Thanks, I agree but SSA in the U.S. does not. My deposits come in like clock work so Swift codes/routing numbers must be correct. My problem is as stated above that I can’t get by the security question. SSA shows a different routing number than Bangkok Bank and giving them the Swift code doesn’t help. 

I tend to think at this point the routing number they have in their system is a Citibank routing number and since Citibank has numerous routing numbers I am unsure which to try next.

17 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

The BAHTNET system is for funds sent through the Bank of Thailand's Bahtnet system.  Per Wise, their Swift code is  BOTHTHBPTS1  (https://wise.com/us/swift-codes/BOTHTHBPTS1)

For IDD the BAHTNET system is only used as the last leg of the SWIFT transfer to the Thai receiving bank which for Thailandbuckeye is Bangkok Bank whose SWIFT code is   BKKBTHBK.    Plus the Wise SWIFT code above is for sending money to Bank of Thailand in those cases where someone would need to send funds to the Bank of Thailand (probably for companies and other central banks).    Now "if" Thailandbuckeye is using the IDD system which means Citibank is handling the transfer as the US Treasury contractor bank for US govt payment to Thailand banks, then Citibank might be using the Bank of Thailand SWIFT as a "correspondent/intermediary bank" address on the way to its final destination at Bangkok. 

But that really neither here or there in Thailandbuckeye case and the issue he's having.   Assuming Thailandbuckeye is currently on the IDD system then he will probably "not" be able to change from the IDD system that uses the International SWIFT system to the U.S. ACH system that uses routing numbers because the SSA "interactive computerized" system is geared for making direct deposit changes between U.S. banks...that is, changing from one routing number to another.  Right now Thailandbuckeye if on the IDD system has a SWIFT code loaded as his bank identifier and does not have a U.S. bank routing number, therefore he could never pass the security question since the system is looking for a routing "number" (as is 0-9) vs a SWIFT code consisting of "letters."

3 hours ago, Thailandbuckeye said:

Sorry forgot to mention that my bank book codes the deposits as BAHTNET.

OK, that confirms your direct deposit is on the International Direct Deposit (IDD) funds transfer  system that uses the SWIFT system and therefore using SWIFT codes to identify the bank....codes consisting of "letters" and maybe occasionally a number or two mixed it..   The U.S. Automated Clearing House (ACH) uses routing "numbers"...a nine digit number.

So, assuming you are using the SSA Automated Phone System to try to change your DD bank....the automated system  expects your current US bank "routing number" that you are currently using for your DD (what loaded in your profile right now)....you will never get past that because you are "not" currently using an routing number...you are using a SWIFT code plus you are on the IDD system vs ACH system.

The SSA Automated Phone System is geared for changing from one U.S. bank to another US on the ACH system....it's routing number based.  You are currently on the IDD system trying to change over to the ACH system....trying to mix apples and oranges.  Seriously doubt the Automated System can accomplish the switch between IDD and ACH (or vice versa); instead you'll will have to talk to a "human" SSA representative who still may ask you to send in the ACH DD form since you are switching from IDD to ACH.  Probably best to just do that thru the Manila SSA....they can enroll you in the ACH or IDD system.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/faq/

image.png.4f43d1cbde528226b7eecab2f3f63d2c.png

Edited by Pib

Just use Manila SSA to change your DD info....use the Manila SSA website inquiry form.  They have a specific inquiry heading/topic just for that purpose.