Laptop Suggestions?

MisterFingers

I'm contemplating buying a new laptop my next vacation, at Tukcom.

Of course, I want to get one with Microsoft Vista on it.

Does anyone have a laptop with Vista on it?

What has been your experience with it? (i,e,. Do you reccomend it?)

Also, I'm wondering if Tukcom is the kind of place where you can haggle for a discount.

Also, I'm wondering if Tukcom is the kind of place where you can haggle for a discount.

I bought my Compaq at Tuk.Com last year at one of the many shops offering all possible equipment and brands.

MS XP SP2 was preinstalled (copied version).

Had a (software) problem once and went back. They solved the problem.

Last month I went back to the shop, because I needed an accessory: shop gone!!! Guarantee gone?

As far as I know, the guarantee is a worldwide thing, so if you buy a Compaq in Thailand, there should be no problem in claiming guarantee in your home country. I suppose.

In any case: TukCom is okay as long as you buy your laptop at a brand store: Toshiba, Compaq, Sony, etc.

Pattaya2u looks a good shop. Nice guy too from what I have read on here. This is where I plan to buy my next computer.

Anyone tried one of the new Apple computers yet? They are very expensive, But they look interesting.

I bought my Compaq at Tuk.Com last year at one of the many shops offering all possible equipment and brands.

MS XP SP2 was preinstalled (copied version).

Had a (software) problem once and went back. They solved the problem.

Last month I went back to the shop, because I needed an accessory: shop gone!!! Guarantee gone?

As far as I know, the guarantee is a worldwide thing, so if you buy a Compaq in Thailand, there should be no problem in claiming guarantee in your home country. I suppose.

In any case: TukCom is okay as long as you buy your laptop at a brand store: Toshiba, Compaq, Sony, etc.

As someone who also thought they had a "worldwide" warranty with Compaq (purchased a 3 year repair policy in US) it cost me 200 dollars to send it to America when Compaq refused to fix it here in Thailand.

You're wrong.

I bought mine from Watana Computers directly across the street from Foodland.

I have bought 13 computers for corporate as well as private use since 1995.

I had 2 had problems and they were fixed with same day service (one at my home)

They've been here for years and in my opinion, they probably will be here for years to come.

Do you really want a laptop with a horrible Thai keyboard ?

Naka.

Pattaya2u looks a good shop. Nice guy too from what I have read on here. This is where I plan to buy my next computer.

I would agree about Pattaya2U. Great educated service. Been many times and for quick jobs, it was pro bono (free). They also bring you a cold coke.

As long as you take care of your laptop and install strong anti-virus software ( http://www.free-av.com/ ) + optimization software, you shouldn't have to worry about the warranty. Vista is still in its infancy so you will certainly have problems with software compatability. On average it takes Microsoft about 2 years to straighten out the problems they incur with their operating systems or to release a new service pack, so the longer you wait the less of a problem that will be. If you read any current computer magazine and go to the editors section you should find letters detailing such problems.

Toshiba, Dell and Compaq have all produced some excellent laptops this year, stick with one of them if you are aiming for reliability.

They've been here for years and in my opinion, they probably will be here for years to come.

Have to agree I(and numerous friends)have bought both laptops and the normal pcs from Wattana Computers,good price,all genuine installations and afew freebies.,after sales service ok too.

As long as you take care of your laptop and install strong anti-virus software ( http://www.free-av.com/ ) + optimization software, you shouldn't have to worry about the warranty. Vista is still in its infancy so you will certainly have problems with software compatability. On average it takes Microsoft about 2 years to straighten out the problems they incur with their operating systems or to release a new service pack, so the longer you wait the less of a problem that will be. If you read any current computer magazine and go to the editors section you should find letters detailing such problems.

Toshiba, Dell and Compaq have all produced some excellent laptops this year, stick with one of them if you are aiming for reliability.

Thanks, maybe this is the best idea. Stick with my current laptop until I run it into the ground. And wait as long as possible to get vista.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a large screen. Works fine in Canada but it overheats very quickly in Thailand. I will never buy Toshiba again. I think Dell and HP are priced well for good quality. All my HP products lasted for years flawlessly.

Anyone else sour on Toshiba laptops?

Shop named Notebook fever,been there since tukcom opened,good service friendly and reliable.

My friend's and I have used this place for 2 years for upgrades and new equipment, and are vey impressed. The owner, Charlie and his wife speak good English.

If you live here, buy it here.

I have gone thru 2 expensive gadgets that needed repair but I bought it at home - so I am screwed.

I'd go with hardware house myself or even better that store on the top floor as they are big and reliable. both have shops in Panthip also.

I like what Asus is putting out now although they are new on the laptop scene, they do make good hardware.

I personally do not like Dell or Acer but Acer has come a long way.

Yes... the Thai keyboard is an issue

Why would you want to buy one in Tukcom and not your home country? Your warranty won't cover you in your country.

Asus cover you no matter where you go, also great value laptop and very good features, a lot of tier 1's use them to supply boards and parts too

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a large screen. Works fine in Canada but it overheats very quickly in Thailand. I will never buy Toshiba again. I think Dell and HP are priced well for good quality. All my HP products lasted for years flawlessly.

Yep i got a sat pro, Toshy dont have a lot of the drivers for download available anymore and its only 2 years old!

A friend of mine bought a new Toshiba at the same time as I bought my Lenovo IBM. At just over a year old the Toshiba monitor died. He's NOT very happy. I was teasing him when he bought it that my Thinkpad had a three year international warranty and his Toshiba had only one year..

Whatever for?

The unwritten rule of thumb regarding the instillation of newly released Microsoft *anything* is to wait for the first Service Pack, where all the bugs are worked out. Vista is currently a disaster from what I hear.

Tukcom is more likely to give you a deal, but I would *never* purchase a laptop or anything that expensive from there. You're much better off going to Watthana Computer (opposite Foodland). There, you may not be able to haggle as much, but you will get much better service and support should you need it (and you *will* if you go with Vista this soon).

If you are set on buying a laptop here I would also check out Liberty Computers on New Plaza (opp Soi7 second road) however be careful wherever you buy I bought an HP laptop in UK before I retired top of the range etc. I had a problem earlier this year and when I checked my HP "worldwide" warranty and in the small print it says " must be returned to country of purchase" Now as it happens I got it sorted locally and it was not a major fault it was software which is not covered by warranty and I didnt try HP in Bangkok but can you imagine how long it would take if I sent it to HP here then they returned it saying it was fine or even worse telling me to return it to country of purchase!

I guess what Im saying you need to think carefully about what and where you buy and the implications if something goes wrong when you are at home. I also agree with previous post re MS Vista but you might find a good deal in a UK dealership that is selling of its "old" XP machines and you could make a good saving.

If you are set on buying a laptop here I would also check out Liberty Computers on New Plaza (opp Soi7 second road) however be careful wherever you buy I bought an HP laptop in UK before I retired top of the range etc. I had a problem earlier this year and when I checked my HP "worldwide" warranty and in the small print it says " must be returned to country of purchase" Now as it happens I got it sorted locally and it was not a major fault it was software which is not covered by warranty and I didnt try HP in Bangkok but can you imagine how long it would take if I sent it to HP here then they returned it saying it was fine or even worse telling me to return it to country of purchase!

I guess what Im saying you need to think carefully about what and where you buy and the implications if something goes wrong when you are at home. I also agree with previous post re MS Vista but you might find a good deal in a UK dealership that is selling of its "old" XP machines and you could make a good saving.

I was quoted TWICE as much at Liberty for an upgrade of the hardrive....they wanted to charge me 2000baht just to transfer

my data from a 40 to 80gig. I got it done, NO charge at Tuk Com after buying their 80gig (which was also 20%less than Liberty)

I think like Buckwheat

Go to Watana Computers directly across the street from Foodland and by IBM labtop. 3 year international warrenty on thinkpad, Tjek it out - http://www.lenovo.com/th/en/ - byt rember if custemer stop you in airport home you can have a fine and be TAX. If you have home in falangland, you pay tax of goods in falangland. And you can get tax back from Thailand when you leave contry, if you stay les then 60 or 90 days, i not rember, byt Vat in thailand is 7 %.

In my born contry it is 25 %.

With IBM you know it is kvalitet, thay make the best testet labtop. I borht an thinkpad x40 in Watana Computers 2 years ago. (she will work as long i whant here in my home, byt she vill soon bee mia noy to a new thinkpad)

Dont bye chape crap thay put in a box to you in Tukcom. (mabey to hard, but...)

Rember: You always pay for what you get, but it is not always you get what you pay for. (Don King)

Tip: A cooler to a labtop is very good to have in Thailand.

This would explain why there are "fan pads" sold at all the computer malls, ie Tuk Com, Pantip, Zeer Rangsit ...... A downside is that they consume power.

One of the reasons I worry about laptops in warm climates, they work well in the air-con, but in the real world temperature is an issue. As with anything that uses power they do not like the sudden change of temperature going from cool to warm (think condensation)

i would recommend a dell,myself and a lot of friends have bought dell,never heard of any problems.i cant say what the after sales service is like because i dont know of anyone who has neeed it BUY AT HOME.as for vista good os. but you will have small compatability software problems.