Thai student suffers brutal punishment for playing game in computer lab

webfact

2 hours ago, DjSilver said:

Thai teachers have no real university degree in teaching. They need at least a bachelors degree

Ideally in "applied social sciences" , or even better  "gender studies":cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, retarius said:

The incidence of sadists, like pedophiles in society is extremely low (1 or 2% at most from memory and would never be classified as 'many' or a high proportion).

I don't disagree but certain "communities"  and "professions" seem to attract them like flies to a jam jar   and punch well above their weight statistically   the very reason why certain positions require a criminal records check

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DjSilver said:

This i what happens whe the teachers are incompetent.

Thai teachers have no real university degree in teaching. They need at least a bachelors degree. No wonder Thai students get more stupid for every generation. 

I agree partially with what you are saying BUT will tell you from experience that even if a Thai teacher went to the best university in the world and got a master's or Ph.D. in education,  They would still be screwed and would be in the same position as a teacher that got their education here.  

The system in schools is set by the older teachers and the deaprtment heads.  They know what they want and the last thing they want is someone coming in with new ideas and new ways of teaching.  

By the end of the first term, if a teacher and this in a lot of cases includes NES teachers has not quit or gone crazy, then they are doing what the Thai teachers want, which is never to make them look bad and never to try something that may cause them to not look so good.

Also, the students are indoctrinated into the system and know what is expected and what their role is, and again, do not try to change it because you will get in trouble.

For example, I was teaching 27 lessons a day and was told that if I had issues with students to send them out of the class or contact one teacher responsible for controlling the students. That worked well, with no problems. Then, one day, I had to send a girl to the discipline teacher along with some of her friends.  I was hauled in and told that I would never do that again.  The girl in question was the language director's daughter.

Young or idealistic teachers get chewed up and spit out.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

The teacher needs a holiday in the local hospital for several weeks.

I think that's a bit over the top considering the lack of evidence as to what actually happened and the lack of details regarding the actual punishment handed out and the alleged  injuries sustained.   Trial by media is far from ideal, I can see a lynch mob mentality developing in this thread  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I doubt that would  end well for you, rightly or wrongly

amazingly an anonymous poster finds the above statement "confusing" do I really have to spell it out?    Is it the same confused soul who seems to be following me just about everywhere on this forum?  I guess I'll never know 

7 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

And your treatment will make him a better human???😕

No, but it will make him think twice before doing it again. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Bring back the 'paddle power'........  A swat on the buttocks with a plank of wood tends to stop reoccurrences.

How about a shotgun? No arguing anymore. 

Is that what is in your mind😳? Look to US. They get this every day vice versa.

10 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I get the teacher's frustration. I have two students that make me shake my head and honestly wonder "what the hell will they do to feed themselves when the time comes?" Has the urge to smack them crossed my mind? Of COURSE it has. However, there is NEVER an excuse to lay hands on a student, and if this teacher did indeed hit the student, then he must be removed and punished by more than just a wai and 500 baht.

Prison. Aggravated assault. Put the scumbag in prison. 

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Though Sompan did not press charges, he appealed to the teacher not to repeat such actions, stressing that young children do not fully understand right from wrong.

A 12 year old does not understand the difference between right and wrong !  Really ?

I do not side with the teacher in any way shape or form and he should be dealt with severely but I do question the way in which the child is being raised, the parents in most countries teach their children this difference right from the start so why are the Thai children different, surely the real failure here lays with the parents.

Quite obviously the teacher was never taught it.

5 hours ago, DjSilver said:

This i what happens whe the teachers are incompetent.

Thai teachers have no real university degree in teaching. They need at least a bachelors degree. No wonder Thai students get more stupid for every generation. 

All Thai teachers teaching in OBEC schools require a degree in Education. Subject teachers need a bachelor degree in Education with a major in their chosen subject.

• Agree 1

In no way am I condoning the teacher's actions but, there must be more to this incident.

Firstly, I'm surprised there is no video evidence. Surely the students would have taken the opportunity to get their phones out.

Secondly, was it only that one student? As a teacher of over 20 years, and one that has quite possibly taught at the school in question, my experience tells me that Thai classrooms can be brutal. The lower end of the grading spectrum is very demanding. Students paying no attention, not doing what's asked, doing things they know are prohibited, noise, loud noise, disrespect. General disobedience. With often 45+ students in the room, things can get heated. The no fail policy doesn't help as students are aware they can behave badly and still get a pass grade.

As I said, I don't condone the teachers actions. However, I think a good look at the bigger picture within that classroom and mitigating circumstances would be a good thing. 

I have seen teachers leave classrooms in tears. Broken by the behaviour of the students. Were the students punished? No.

Counseling for teachers, training on behaviours of concern and more effective ways to discipline students required.

Edited by youreavinalaff

He who spares the rod, hates his son.  But he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

The teacher from Buriram probably has a lot of experience watching homes and farms lost via gambling.  The student playing online cards needed to learn an important lesson.  This teacher is a hero in my book.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I get the teacher's frustration. I have two students that make me shake my head and honestly wonder "what the hell will they do to feed themselves when the time comes?" Has the urge to smack them crossed my mind? Of COURSE it has. However, there is NEVER an excuse to lay hands on a student, and if this teacher did indeed hit the student, then he must be removed and punished by more than just a wai and 500 baht.

You really need to reconsider your chosen career if you have even for a second thought of hitting a student.  Having been a school teacher it never once crossed my mind to physically assault a child. I found depending on the offence, copying a paragraph or a page worked best and if persistent multiple offenders divide the class in two (this installed an air of competition) and simply mark each indiscretion and when behaviour was good rub the mark off (each mark represented a paragraph to copy). I found each team group policed themselves. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

I aged you a carefully reasoned argument that attacked your cherished (and stupid) view that children should never be smacked under any circumstances. You have no arguments to support your cherished belief, only emotional beliefs based on nothing at all. As I explained it is about 'outcomes', and in my opinion the previous generations methods of punishment produced superior results based on young people crimes (perhaps you missed the wave of youth stabbings in Britain).

My opinions and the reasons for them, I have articulated clearly. And you can disagree, but where the hell do you get off calling me a 'sick b@stard' for holding my view, which is perfectly acceptable for people of my age and has had my, admittedly working class, my upbringing.

By your self confession, your mum's method of upbringing raised you as a model and perfect citizen, who didn't even  his kids, which is exactly what I am saying. Spare the rod and spoilt child. As I said earlier, your beliefs are of zero consequence, none at all. It is out ones that matter, not silly beliefs about harms done by spanking children discipline. 

So how did your kids turn out? I'm imagining that they are now in prison for GBH or some major crime having had no discipline although you will tell me they are model and perfect citizens just like you are.

I think you are sick b@stard, and a hypocrite to boot.

My kids are 12 and 8 yrs old. So not in prison for GBH and it's highly doubtful they ever will be. They're really nice kids and definitely not spoilt. But yeah, at times, they can be little <deleted>s annoying the hell out of each other. However, they are able to accept when I say no which is actually very often and they get plenty of discipline. Just not beatings. That is lazy parenting from people who are not educated enough to have the skill set to find other ways of controlling kids. It's also abuse. You wouldn't hit your adult child for doing the wrong thing. So why would you think it's acceptable to hit a child? THAT'S JUST SICK!

You might not realise this, but there are many other ways to discipline a child without having to resort to violence and smacking. I was able to teach my children from a very young age that when I say there will be a consequence, I mean it. E.g When my boy was about 4 or 5, we were going to Lumphini park, him on his scooter and me walking. I told him to stop when he gets to roads/sois. We came to 1 soi and he didn't so I gave him a warning that if he does it again, we would not go to the park and he'd have to walk all the way back home. Came to another soi and he didn't stop. So I stayed true to my word and we went back home. I explained why he got the consequence and didn't give in to his tears. He never did it again and from then on he knew that if I say there will be a consequence, then there will be. 

A cruel person such as my mum of old and yourself would have given him a smack and then when he cried, told him that he'd be given something to really cry about when we got home. Again, that would be lazy parenting.

And yes, for a grown adult (and a man at that) to whack a child IS disgusting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, BritScot said:

You really need to reconsider your chosen career if you have even for a second thought of hitting a student.  Having been a school teacher it never once crossed my mind to physically assault a child. I found depending on the offence, copying a paragraph or a page worked best and if persistent multiple offenders divide the class in two (this installed an air of competition) and simply mark each indiscretion and when behaviour was good rub the mark off (each mark represented a paragraph to copy). I found each team group policed themselves. 

You really need to reconsider offering advice to someone when you don't know all the facts. Your situation involved kids who will react to your tactics. The two I was referring to couldn't care less about little behavior marks. I tried the "writing 100 times 'I will not be a naughty student'" and that had no impact. I tried contacting the parents only to find out the parents couldn't care less. I genuinely worry about one in particular bringing a gun to class to shoot me. The other has the deadest eyes in a youth I have ever seen. I only have seven more classes with them then they are out of my life and I'll breathe a little easier.

4 hours ago, retarius said:

IAs I explained it is about 'outcomes', and in my opinion the previous generations methods of punishment produced superior results based on young people crimes (perhaps you missed the wave of youth stabbings in Britain).

You're partially right about what is causing the wave of youth stabbings. You think it's because parents don't batter their kids anymore. It's not. It's for 2 reasons. It's because parents batter their kids for the most trivial of reasons to the point that it becomes abusive as that's the only way they know how to 'control' children and those kids grow up seeing violence as being acceptable. It's also, and you're right about this, a lack of discipline. Parents are too absorbed in their own lives, smartphones, social media, reality TV, drunk, drugged up and focused on their latest boyfriend/girlfriend to give their kids any real positive love and attention, to have conversations with them about morals and what's right and what's wrong.

I spent 7 years working in a school in Leeds where I would see kids getting battered and being called an 'effing muppet' at the school gates every afternoon for having dirty clothes, cos it meant that mum had to wash them. Or kids whose parents were never involved, allowing them to do what they want, when they want including kids swearing at parents without any consequence because 'it's too much hard work to discipline them and it's the school's job to do that'.

As I said before, it's lazy parenting. These kids had absolutely no chance in life except to get away from those families as soon as possible, which some of them have been able to do and are living happy, successful lives. Many others though are in prison.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

It comes up all the time about these teachers hitting their students regardless of their age and it seems like nothing ever happens. There’s never any real serious punishment TIT

Yes. Thai people in general seem to care more about 'face' and social status than they do for the welfare of their one children. 

45 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

You really need to reconsider offering advice to someone when you don't know all the facts. Your situation involved kids who will react to your tactics. The two I was referring to couldn't care less about little behavior marks. I tried the "writing 100 times 'I will not be a naughty student'" and that had no impact. I tried contacting the parents only to find out the parents couldn't care less. I genuinely worry about one in particular bringing a gun to class to shoot me. The other has the deadest eyes in a youth I have ever seen. I only have seven more classes with them then they are out of my life and I'll breathe a little easier.

Give the kid a slap in front of his mates and I can almost guarantee he WILL bring a gun into school and shoot you.

56 minutes ago, bfc1980 said:

My kids are 12 and 8 yrs old. So not in prison for GBH and it's highly doubtful they ever will be. They're really nice kids and definitely not spoilt. But yeah, at times, they can be little <deleted>s annoying the hell out of each other. However, they are able to accept when I say no which is actually very often and they get plenty of discipline. Just not beatings. That is lazy parenting from people who are not educated enough to have the skill set to find other ways of controlling kids. It's also abuse. You wouldn't hit your adult child for doing the wrong thing. So why would you think it's acceptable to hit a child? THAT'S JUST SICK!

You might not realise this, but there are many other ways to discipline a child without having to resort to violence and smacking. I was able to teach my children from a very young age that when I say there will be a consequence, I mean it. E.g When my boy was about 4 or 5, we were going to Lumphini park, him on his scooter and me walking. I told him to stop when he gets to roads/sois. We came to 1 soi and he didn't so I gave him a warning that if he does it again, we would not go to the park and he'd have to walk all the way back home. Came to another soi and he didn't stop. So I stayed true to my word and we went back home. I explained why he got the consequence and didn't give in to his tears. He never did it again and from then on he knew that if I say there will be a consequence, then there will be. 

A cruel person such as my mum of old and yourself would have given him a smack and then when he cried, told him that he'd be given something to really cry about when we got home. Again, that would be lazy parenting.

And yes, for a grown adult (and a man at that) to whack a child IS disgusting. 

These are your opinions, to which you are entitled.

I was smacked, not whacked or abused and not a victim of violence, many times as a kid and I deserved it every time. 

It didn't do me any harm.

Edited by youreavinalaff

1 minute ago, bfc1980 said:

Give the kid a slap in front of his mates and I can almost guarantee he WILL bring a gun into school and shoot you.

The point was I THINK about smacking them but DON'T! We all have dark places we go and controlling our behavior is the choice we make.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

How about a shotgun? No arguing anymore. 

Is that what is in your mind😳? Look to US. They get this every day vice versa.

Only if it is double-barreled.

Let me guess, in your world there is no winner and everyone receives a 'Participation' trophy. 

16 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The point was I THINK about smacking them but DON'T! We all have dark places we go and controlling our behavior is the choice we make.

I totally understand your point. My point was that if you did give him a crack, you'd get worse. Yet some (most likely the elderly generation) still believe that, "it didn't do me any harm so we should be able to go round hitting naughty kids".

It's not their fault though that they have this mindset. They know no better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bfc1980 said:

I totally understand your point. My point was that if you did give him a crack, you'd get worse. Yet some (most likely the elderly generation) still believe that, "it didn't do me any harm so we should be able to go round hitting naughty kids".

It's not their fault though that they have this mindset. They know no better. 

Just because people have different opinions, it doesn't mean they are wrong or don't know better.

Keep that in mind when posting.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Teacher is lucky this isnt my kid, he would not walk again. I would make sure his knee breaks beyond repair, to start.

And then you would go to jail, and probably be deported.

Hit the teacher where it hurts the most.

In his pocket and in his job

• Agree 1