Thai student suffers brutal punishment for playing game in computer lab

webfact

Far to many stories in the news regarding teachers.. Male and female that are bullies. Totally unacceptable... a smack with a bamboo stick on my Bum when I was 23 years old taught me to never forget how to spell "vacuum" 

.. Punching with fists... an immature lunatic 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

Far to many stories in the news regarding teachers.. Male and female that are bullies. Totally unacceptable... a smack with a bamboo stick on my Bum when I was 23 years old taught me to never forget how to spell "vacuum" 

.. Punching with fists... an immature lunatic 

Oops. Typo 555 555.. That should be 13 years old! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

All Thai teachers teaching in OBEC schools require a degree in Education. Subject teachers need a bachelor degree in Education with a major in their chosen subject.

The no-fail system works wonders.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

maybe if you hadnt returned the favor you wouldnt have ended up driving a tow truck...

Looking at life that way, I would not be here in Thailand conversing with you.

Funny how ones life turns out :wai:

1 hour ago, Grumpy one said:

Looking at life that way, I would not be here in Thailand conversing with you.

Funny how ones life turns out :wai:

right, so the teacher was going to kill you and hitting him back and getting expelled was the right thing to do. looking at life that way if i would be in jail for life if i had done what you did. 

On 1/6/2024 at 9:03 AM, retarius said:

I have no dog in this fight. I went to school at a time when there was legal battery of children, with strap or cane usually.  I once watched open mouthed a 7 or 8 year  child being beaten by a teacher with fists on his back; and I also watched a 14 year old struck across the face with a metre ruler which broke and gashed a Y-shaped wound across the kid's face (all Catholic schools).  It sounds bad now in our snowflake age, but a) it was not as bad as the treatment earlier generations endured and b) there was no pointed complaining to your parents at home, because you would receive another beating. 

I tend to look at the desirability of any given behaviour at the outcomes. It is pretty clear to me, but likely won't be to any snowflakes who buy into wokeness and other modern idiocies. But despite kids being beaten severely throughout history, there is no evidence of any harm being done to the kids, and kids who were beaten at school often support the practice. Britain's brightest and best who built the Empire, brought the world the industrial revolution and so forth, were all sadistically beaten at British public schools (ie private boarding schools like Eton and Harrow) and it was considered that the practice was virtuous and made men of them. It was common when I was a teenager to get a bit of a thumping from police if caught doing something 'dodgy', even for doing nothing, just to keep you in line, and I had a couple of experiences myself....it was called having received a 'clip around the ear'

I tend to think that children are pretty robust and can handle a bit of violence from adults, be they parents, police or teachers without having any life long harm done to them.

One has to see the results of the beating to determine whether this bump on the forehead has destroyed the kid's brain or is a simply bump that will go down in a couple of days. So perhaps it is best not to judge the teacher at this stage. I don't know whether there are any laws against hitting children in Thailand, I know you cannot smack children in the US or UK and they usually enforce their laws on the rest of the world, but I cannot recall ever having seen a child hit here by parents in the 15 years I have been here; but my wife has tales of being regularly hit with a stick on her legs as a child. 

Please note that I am not espousing the return to daily Victorian canings for kids. But. equally I don't see that the prohibition on beating kids has achieved much when I see the violence in today's society, and I'm not appalled by this incident or supportive of lynching the teacher for a loss of patience, as I imagine he was concerned about damage to the computers in the computer room where the kid was practising his Takraw. 

I get the part that the system is too soft in favour of kids now. I went to school in the 80's and although beatings weren't common, kids weren't protected to the point of being able to do and say what they like to adults, teachers, without recrimination. It's definitely gone too far the other way....however...

Hitting anybody is wrong. Period. 

I'm a reasonably sized, average male but very average. The thought of hitting a child with my size and strength advantage sickens me to the core of my stomach. How anybody can inflict 1, let alone continue to reign blow upon blow upon a child is repulsive. Look at what you're hurting. A tiny little thing.

What does being punished with violence gain? I was smacked by my parents in the same way many kids of my generation were. Nothing brutal but a short, sharp repulse that left you with a red backside or cheek. In turn, if someone annoyed me my reaction was to use violence too. IMHO, violence is the sign of a very weak individual who clearly has issues.

Best lesson I ever learnt. The only person that allows you to get angry is yourself. If you can't control it you shouldn't be working with kids, who can p off a dolphin when they're in the mood.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:03 AM, retarius said:

I have no dog in this fight. I went to school at a time when there was legal battery of children, with strap or cane usually.  I once watched open mouthed a 7 or 8 year  child being beaten by a teacher with fists on his back; and I also watched a 14 year old struck across the face with a metre ruler which broke and gashed a Y-shaped wound across the kid's face (all Catholic schools).  It sounds bad now in our snowflake age, but a) it was not as bad as the treatment earlier generations endured and b) there was no pointed complaining to your parents at home, because you would receive another beating. 

I tend to look at the desirability of any given behaviour at the outcomes. It is pretty clear to me, but likely won't be to any snowflakes who buy into wokeness and other modern idiocies. But despite kids being beaten severely throughout history, there is no evidence of any harm being done to the kids, and kids who were beaten at school often support the practice. Britain's brightest and best who built the Empire, brought the world the industrial revolution and so forth, were all sadistically beaten at British public schools (ie private boarding schools like Eton and Harrow) and it was considered that the practice was virtuous and made men of them. It was common when I was a teenager to get a bit of a thumping from police if caught doing something 'dodgy', even for doing nothing, just to keep you in line, and I had a couple of experiences myself....it was called having received a 'clip around the ear'

I tend to think that children are pretty robust and can handle a bit of violence from adults, be they parents, police or teachers without having any life long harm done to them.

One has to see the results of the beating to determine whether this bump on the forehead has destroyed the kid's brain or is a simply bump that will go down in a couple of days. So perhaps it is best not to judge the teacher at this stage. I don't know whether there are any laws against hitting children in Thailand, I know you cannot smack children in the US or UK and they usually enforce their laws on the rest of the world, but I cannot recall ever having seen a child hit here by parents in the 15 years I have been here; but my wife has tales of being regularly hit with a stick on her legs as a child. 

Please note that I am not espousing the return to daily Victorian canings for kids. But. equally I don't see that the prohibition on beating kids has achieved much when I see the violence in today's society, and I'm not appalled by this incident or supportive of lynching the teacher for a loss of patience, as I imagine he was concerned about damage to the computers in the computer room where the kid was practising his Takraw. 

I went to prep school and public school in the UK at at time when floggings were legally and liberally administered.  The worst violence in my experience was meted out to 7-13 year old prep school boys.  Our head master was clearly a sadist and got sexual pleasure from viciously caning 7 year olds in their thin cotton pyjamas over the laundry baskets, so their blood curdling screams could be heard throughout the dormitories - this for the heinous crime of talking after lights out which for them was 7.00 pm when it was still light in summer and early autumn.  He also loved pulling boys shorts and underpants down and caning their bare bottoms till the blood was flowing freely down their legs. Boys were caned, not only for behavioral issues but for academic offenses like getting poor marks in French vocab rote learning tests. At my public school prefects were allowed to cane boys for offenses such as not calling them sir and there were house beatings where each of up to 15 house prefects took a stroke with a run up at a victim.  We had a famous headmaster who was sacked from Eton, where he was nicknamed The Beater, and carried on his child abuse at my school.  He loved the 13 year old first years and would give them a choice of a serious 6 up caning (with trousers up) in his study or a much milder trousers and underpants down beating with his belt which involved fondling of their private parts.  Another teacher beat up 9 and 10 year olds in the junior school bashing them about the head with the aluminium studs of rugby boots.  I would defy you to say that these corporal punishments did no lasting harm to the boys.  There was also copious homosexual harassment and rapes too.  The sense of impunity regarding corporal punishment extended to homosexual harassment. The school, Fettes in Edinburgh, got a poor write up in the Scottish parliamentary enquiry on past child abuse in boarding schools, resulting in 1.2 million pounds in out of court settlements paid out so far and there are still cases pending against it.  

I was also regularly beaten at home.  My father had the same attitude as you.  He said he was beaten often at home and at school and it never did him any harm.  But my experience was different.  I had no respect for the teacher who obviously flogged for sexual pleasure, as might be expected.  But being beaten by father instilled in me a deep disrespect for a man who beat his own children, viciously on occasion. The parental beatings made me feel quite certain I was right and they were wrong because they debased themselves by using violence against their own children.  

I say NO to corporal punishment of children under any circumstances.  Teachers cannot be trusted with this sort of punishment.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have a two year old and fortunately I don't have to send him to a Thai state school.  But I am pretty sure that, if he was beaten or abused by a teacher I would have difficulty in restraining myself from performing an eye for an eye retribution.  Certainly I would pursue the matter legally rigorously.

38 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I went to prep school and public school in the UK at at time when floggings were legally and liberally administered.  The worst violence in my experience was meted out to 7-13 year old prep school boys.  Our head master was clearly a sadist and got sexual pleasure from viciously caning 7 year olds in their thin cotton pyjamas over the laundry baskets, so their blood curdling screams could be heard throughout the dormitories - this for the heinous crime of talking after lights out which for them was 7.00 pm when it was still light in summer and early autumn.  He also loved pulling boys shorts and underpants down and caning their bare bottoms till the blood was flowing freely down their legs. Boys were caned, not only for behavioral issues but for academic offenses like getting poor marks in French vocab rote learning tests. At my public school prefects were allowed to cane boys for offenses such as not calling them sir and there were house beatings where each of up to 15 house prefects took a stroke with a run up at a victim.  We had a famous headmaster who was sacked from Eton, where he was nicknamed The Beater, and carried on his child abuse at my school.  He loved the 13 year old first years and would give them a choice of a serious 6 up caning (with trousers up) in his study or a much milder trousers and underpants down beating with his belt which involved fondling of their private parts.  Another teacher beat up 9 and 10 year olds in the junior school bashing them about the head with the aluminium studs of rugby boots.  I would defy you to say that these corporal punishments did no lasting harm to the boys.  There was also copious homosexual harassment and rapes too.  The sense of impunity regarding corporal punishment extended to homosexual harassment. The school, Fettes in Edinburgh, got a poor write up in the Scottish parliamentary enquiry on past child abuse in boarding schools, resulting in 1.2 million pounds in out of court settlements paid out so far and there are still cases pending against it.  

I was also regularly beaten at home.  My father had the same attitude as you.  He said he was beaten often at home and at school and it never did him any harm.  But my experience was different.  I had no respect for the teacher who obviously flogged for sexual pleasure, as might be expected.  But being beaten by father instilled in me a deep disrespect for a man who beat his own children, viciously on occasion. The parental beatings made me feel quite certain I was right and they were wrong because they debased themselves by using violence against their own children.  

I say NO to corporal punishment of children under any circumstances.  Teachers cannot be trusted with this sort of punishment.

You seem to be confusing corporal punishment and smacking with physical and sexual abuse.

Edited by youreavinalaff

11 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Excellent post. You make a very valid point about the, "my old man/teacher used to beat me and it did no harm, wo I'll do the same". 

It quite clearly has done them harm as it has now instilled the belief that it is acceptable for a grown man to hit children. These types of people are a danger to children who need love, support and guidance from the key adults in their lives, not a "healthy sense of fear". 

I ask those people, show the evidence and research that proves physical punishment of children has positive outcomes. I'll save you the time. Not a single study has shown this.

Research HAS shown that children who are beaten have increased levels of anti social behaviour, associations with mental health problems (depression, anxiety), slower cognitive development and it adversely affects academic achievement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

right, so the teacher was going to kill you and hitting him back and getting expelled was the right thing to do. looking at life that way if i would be in jail for life if i had done what you did. 

The teacher had no plan to kill me, he just liked to show his power over the kids.

Being expelled did me a great service, I worked in places that I would never have thought of going to.

At 73 I look back and have only one regret, getting married to a New Zealand girl  :wacko:

7 hours ago, bfc1980 said:

Excellent post. You make a very valid point about the, "my old man/teacher used to beat me and it did no harm, wo I'll do the same". 

It quite clearly has done them harm as it has now instilled the belief that it is acceptable for a grown man to hit children. These types of people are a danger to children who need love, support and guidance from the key adults in their lives, not a "healthy sense of fear". 

I ask those people, show the evidence and research that proves physical punishment of children has positive outcomes. I'll save you the time. Not a single study has shown this.

Research HAS shown that children who are beaten have increased levels of anti social behaviour, associations with mental health problems (depression, anxiety), slower cognitive development and it adversely affects academic achievement. 

You are confusing abuse, fear and violence with discipline.

There are no studies that show children who were smacked as a form of discipline, not abused or victims of physical violence, grow up to be violent or with the view violence and abuse towards children is OK.

6 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You are confusing abuse, fear and violence with discipline.

There are no studies that show children who were smacked as a form of discipline, not abused or victims of physical violence, grow up to be violent or with the view violence and abuse towards children is OK.

Confusing abuse and fear with discipline. I can't imagine a child who is regularly 'spanked' as their sole form of discipline, lacking in fear of that parent. Sure it might change the child's behaviour, but at what cost? If somebody were to regularly hit me, I'd be pretty scared of them. 

As for no research... Here's some bedtime reading for you. 

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/ideas/usable-knowledge/21/04/effect-spanking-brain

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447048/

https://srcd.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/cdev.13565

This study totally refutes everything you say. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/corporal-punishment-and-health

"Parents who were physically punished as children are more likely to physically punish their own children."

Edited by bfc1980

31 minutes ago, bfc1980 said:

Confusing abuse and fear with discipline. I can't imagine a child who is regularly 'spanked' as their sole form of discipline, lacking in fear of that parent. Sure it might change the child's behaviour, but at what cost? If somebody were to regularly hit me, I'd be pretty scared of them. 

As for no research... Here's some bedtime reading for you. 

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/ideas/usable-knowledge/21/04/effect-spanking-brain

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447048/

https://srcd.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/cdev.13565

This study totally refutes everything you say. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/corporal-punishment-and-health

"Parents who were physically punished as children are more likely to physically punish their own children."

Read what I said, read your link then find another one that actually refutes what I said 

1 hour ago, bfc1980 said:

Abuse is not discipline.

I agree, an abused person would fear an abuser.

However, whether discipline is physical or not, it does not create fear of the disciplinarian. It creates the fear of what might happen if one were to do something that one knows is wrong

Do no wrong, no need to be disciplined. Simple. 

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Agree 1

On 1/6/2024 at 11:12 AM, DjSilver said:

This i what happens whe the teachers are incompetent.

Thai teachers have no real university degree in teaching. They need at least a bachelors degree. No wonder Thai students get more stupid for every generation. 

Having a degree doesn't make you a good teacher,   There are plenty of teachers with degrees who are bad at their job. One of the underlying issues in Thailand is a general low level of education and the fact that that is acceptable. The value of a good education hasn't been grasped yet here. 

On 1/6/2024 at 7:23 AM, newbee2022 said:

And your treatment will make him a better human???😕

Ever had the s h it beat out of you? It's very instructive. 

There's probably something going on in the teacher's life that caused the violent outburst. He could be gambling, have consumer debt, be a closeted homosexual, married a frigid woman or cheating whore...the possibilities are endless. 

Without engaging in the usual mental masturbation that occurs in these types of threads, how many of you guys with kids would tolerate a lowly teacher beating your child? 

3 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Ever had the s h it beat out of you? It's very instructive. 

There's probably something going on in the teacher's life that caused the violent outburst. He could be gambling, have consumer debt, be a closeted homosexual, married a frigid woman or cheating whore...the possibilities are endless. 

Without engaging in the usual mental masturbation that occurs in these types of threads, how many of you guys with kids would tolerate a lowly teacher beating your child? 

Yeah, beat him up! Hurrah, back into Grand dad's century.  To be honest, me too I wouldn't tolerate his behaviour and would report him (police/school/ministry) by an appropriate lawyer but never ever exercise self justice. That's not my level of education, sorry.🙏

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 7:28 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Teacher is lucky this isnt my kid, he would not walk again. I would make sure his knee breaks beyond repair, to start.

You are a very special species of human being I guess. Brutality and violence rules your life? I thought this kind of reaction is outdated and we would answer in an educated but not barbarian way. What you will offer him doesn't meet my level of education. 🙏

21 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

Having a degree doesn't make you a good teacher,   There are plenty of teachers with degrees who are bad at their job. One of the underlying issues in Thailand is a general low level of education and the fact that that is acceptable. The value of a good education hasn't been grasped yet here. 

Well, now, we also know all education in Thailand is bad. Even, the so called international schools are bad. Also the universities are no good. A Thai PHD is similar to a high school degree or bachelor at a Swedish university. 

1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

Well, now, we also know all education in Thailand is bad. Even, the so called international schools are bad. Also the universities are no good. A Thai PHD is similar to a high school degree or bachelor at a Swedish university. 

I wasn't just referring to University Educated Thais. The expat community who operate as "teachers" fall way below acceptable standards too. They get away with it here though because they are foreigners. Filipinas too, they are lauded by Thais as great English tutors but their spelling and their grammar is generally poor. its no wonder generation after generation grow up with just a rudimentary education - the saddest part is nobody of any importance or authority cares. It's easy to see why provincial, poor farming families don't consider having an education is a priority.....to them it isn't one. But in the cities something must be done -  Thailand needs to decide if it wants to remain predominantly feudal or be able to compete commercially on an even footing other countries from around the world. It will take a very brave leader to implement the latter.

On 1/10/2024 at 1:00 PM, Jackbenimble said:

I wasn't just referring to University Educated Thais. The expat community who operate as "teachers" fall way below acceptable standards too. They get away with it here though because they are foreigners. Filipinas too, they are lauded by Thais as great English tutors but their spelling and their grammar is generally poor. its no wonder generation after generation grow up with just a rudimentary education - the saddest part is nobody of any importance or authority cares. It's easy to see why provincial, poor farming families don't consider having an education is a priority.....to them it isn't one. But in the cities something must be done -  Thailand needs to decide if it wants to remain predominantly feudal or be able to compete commercially on an even footing other countries from around the world. It will take a very brave leader to implement the latter.

The so calles expat teachers are neither any real educated teacher 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 11:02 AM, newbee2022 said:

That was meant as a joke, wasn't it? That's not serious, is it?  Unfortunately your knowledge of pedagogy got high potential for development. 

I believe you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. When I wrote;

"There are some people (adults) that will never evolve much further than animal level.

Therefore, they don't understand anything other than harsh treatment to re-educate them."

I was referring to the teacher, NOT the student. 

The teacher deserves a harsh punishment as he is old enough to know better.