Bad experience using Bolt

Two week ago I tried to book  a long ride from Rayong (pier) to Khao Yai Park with Bolt because I saw it less expansive vs Grab (2500 bth vs 3500).
The first driver picked up us and  after 100 mt asked us for more money than on the app; when he understood we didn't pay more, he asked to come out from the car and search for another driver.
The second driver booked confirmed the ride on the app but messaged us for more money and canceled the ride when we didn't agree.
The third driver was the best: his ride didn't have a fixed price but a variable 2900-4000bth instead. I thought the range was dued to probable variable time for the ride but when I booked it the price started from 4000bth. Afte the book also hime asked us for more money .
The end of history? I booked a private driver for 3500bth, very honest and professional, that brougth us to destination. 2 hours lost trying to book a driver by Bolt!!!
I complained with Bolt for the terrible service; they initially charged me 65 bth because the first driver carried us for 100 mt. After  a new complain, it refunded me also the 65 bth.
I never had those problems with Grub and never used InDrive; anyway I no more  will use Bolt!

Costas 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

In my printscreen you see the 3 rides I tried to book, and the fee for the only one that  picked up us and fastly stopped after I didn't want to pay more. 
For this ride Bolt charged me 65 bth, but after I claimed about it refunded me.1704791103986.thumb.jpg.fceb338c332a9c214139b5adacde0c80.jpg1704791103995.thumb.jpg.e311babdb0aa24f7b04f8f281843c9f9.jpg

Costas

A woman friend engaged Bolt to take her to Don Muang from Jomtien and agreed to the price.  The driver picked her up and everything seemed OK until he exited the highway onto a side road. When she asked what was going on, the driver told her they were going to meet his friend and the friend would take her to DMK in his car.  She made clear that no way would she switch cars and immediately began recording the conversation on her mobile. The driver got angry and threatened to leave her roadside but fortunately, she was fluent enough in Thai to make clear she was calling the Police.  The driver relented and agreed to continue on to Don Muang but she didn't trust him and had him take her to N. Pattaya.  She was flying out of Thailand so did not have time to pursue the incident with Bolt or the Police but it's clear that there are risks using ride services.

Dave what you wrote is still worse than what happened to me and confirms how bad is the service of Bolt.
And now I understand why in Grub there's a specific service for women called "Grub for Ladies".

Bolt is basically an around town type of service, not to go on long journeys. Use proper airport or long distance companies for that.  Also there is a 'Lady Bolt' service with lady drivers. My daughter uses it all the time in Pattaya and Bangkok (possibly a little longer to arrive, but safe and reliable).

Grab has exactly the same services but are at least 50% more expensive for most rides.

So there you have it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I know Grab is more expansive, for my ride +1000 bth than Bolt, but if the sevice is so bad it's no sense for me.
Anyway, if the company is not able to offer a long distance ride, it shoud not sell that instead to make angry its customers. 

C.

• Agree 2

On 1/9/2024 at 4:46 PM, dddave said:

A woman friend engaged Bolt to take her to Don Muang from Jomtien and agreed to the price.  The driver picked her up and everything seemed OK until he exited the highway onto a side road. When she asked what was going on, the driver told her they were going to meet his friend and the friend would take her to DMK in his car.  She made clear that no way would she switch cars and immediately began recording the conversation on her mobile. The driver got angry and threatened to leave her roadside but fortunately, she was fluent enough in Thai to make clear she was calling the Police.  The driver relented and agreed to continue on to Don Muang but she didn't trust him and had him take her to N. Pattaya.  She was flying out of Thailand so did not have time to pursue the incident with Bolt or the Police but it's clear that there are risks using ride services.

She got lucky, i know of a bank employee who was raped and murdered after being dropped off by a Bolt driver, he followed her into her house

Surely Bolt and Grab are intended really to replicate short taxi rides as in the West

Never had any problem with them but absolutely would not book for something like to Airport from Pattaya or as in the case of the OP much further distance

Use a reliable proper taxi service

Edited by Chivas

• 4 weeks later...

It might be your misfortune to meet bad driver. My experience whether it's Grab or Bolt driver you can always encounter bad drivers like that. It is best to choose a fixed price service or private service on app and pay to a credit card. If you encounter a bad driver or request money more app. You can cancel and your money will be refunded to your credit card later.

For tourist I recomment use Grab or Bolt is best choice but you might choose service by fix cost or private service like I told to the top. It make you comfotable alway tirp.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:42 AM, Chivas said:

Surely Bolt and Grab are intended really to replicate short taxi rides as in the West

Never had any problem with them but absolutely would not book for something like to Airport from Pattaya or as in the case of the OP much further distance

Use a reliable proper taxi service

Agree... 

Bolt and Grab are more for 'local rides' rather than long distances...    

If someone wants to go a long distance, go with a dedicated service where the ride and price is pre-agreed.

The issue with Bolt and Grab is that the drivers don't see the destination before before they accept the fare, this is to prevent drivers from cherry picking their ideal journeys and ignoring unfavourable journeys, ultimately to the detriment of the service on a whole. 

Thus: the Bolt driver accepted the ride, then realised it was a 3-4 hour journey, then he has to get back - obviously some drivers really don't want to do this, so if they cancel immediately, they'll be downgraded by the service.

IMO - this issue comes from trying to use Grab and Bolt for the type of service its not really intended to be.

Op should have really contacted some of the local taxi firms and pre-arranged dedicated 'long distance' transport.

Op, you probably already knew this but thought you could get a 'cheaper ride' with Bolt... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: the Bolt driver accepted the ride, then realised it was a 3-4 hour journey, then he has to get back - obviously some drivers really don't want to do this, so if they cancel immediately, they'll be downgraded by the service.

Makes sense from the driver's viewpoint. Not being a regular taxi, he'd have to be so lucky as to get a ride via the app for a similar 3-4 hour return-trip... Would be better if, for long journeys, they knew what they're signing up for.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

A long distance journey is better being booked with resort.

• Do you want a driver for 3-4 hours who may be at end of a long shift and extremely tired? No me neither.
  • Some drivers may be low on fuel and not have enough cash or credit for the long distance.
  • Some drivers just may not like the low fare for the effort/time involved. Do you want an argument with them?

• Like 1

The issue with Bolt and Grab is that the drivers don't see the destination before before they accept the fare, this is to prevent drivers from cherry picking their ideal journeys and ignoring unfavourable journeys, ultimately to the detriment of the service on a whole. 

what a ridiculous business model, and clearly to the detriment to customers.

2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

what a ridiculous business model, and clearly to the detriment to customers.

Thats the Business model of all the 'ride hailing apps'...     If you think about it, its detrimental to the customers to model it any other way...  IF drivers knew the destination, there would be many customers left without a ride on 'unfavourable journeys'...

... this issue already exists with flag fall taxi's in Thailand when numerous taxi's in a row reject your ride because its into a high-traffic area of town at the wrong time...   

It is for the same reason that laws exist in many countries that once stopped, taxis cannot refuse the fare (in Thailand taxi drivers ignore this law of course).

Ride Hailing apps follow this very model to ensure the 'job is taken'... without this the reliability of such apps falls and it ultimately fails... what makes these apps successful is the ease of getting 'rides'... 

Contrary to your comment, it would be ridiculous not to use this business model. 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats the Business model of all the 'ride hailing apps'...     If you think about it, its detrimental to the customers to model it any other way...  IF drivers knew the destination, there would be many customers left without a ride on 'unfavourable journeys'...

... this issue already exists with flag fall taxi's in Thailand when numerous taxi's in a row reject your ride because its into a high-traffic area of town at the wrong time...   

It is for the same reason that laws exist in many countries that once stopped, taxis cannot refuse the fare (in Thailand taxi drivers ignore this law of course).

Ride Hailing apps follow this very model to ensure the 'job is taken'... without this the reliability of such apps falls and it ultimately fails... what makes these apps successful is the ease of getting 'rides'... 

Contrary to your comment, it would be ridiculous not to use this business model. 

Two excellent posts from yourself

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2024 at 12:27 AM, Costas_it said:

The end of history? I booked a private driver for 3500bth, very honest and professional, that brougth us to destination. 2 hours lost trying to book a driver by Bolt!!!

I bet the private driver did not have to pay Bolt any percentage of the 3500 you paid him. 

• Agree 1

Always book a long distance trip in advance.

Even you would not be happy to spend 5 hours on the road accompanying a stranger and gain practically nothing from it.

When using these convenient applications, always ask yourself how much actually goes into the driver's wallet and how much stays in the corporation's account.

Edited by zhounan