Korea bans killing and eating Dogs - will Thailand follow?

16 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The 'farming' of cows, pigs, goats, checkens, etc over a very long period of time has resulted in the breeding of animals that are in a far safer condition to humans, and that are healtheir to consume. 

Dogs Cats Moinkeys etc have not been bred to be consumed and they have inherent risks in consumption by humans (rabies, parasites, etc etc).

Additionally, in most cultures Dogs and Cats have been kept as companions and therefore are not viewed as an animal to be eaten.  Likewise, monekys etc are seen as 'too close' to humans to be eaten. 

The only 'wild' animals that humans have consumed over long periods of time are fish. But if I am starving to death and all there is to eat is a cat/dog - then sorry, but well burnt dog/cat it is.   

Humans have been hunting wild animals for food for hundreds of years and still do. Wild boar, deer, rabbit, pheasant, partridge etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And nobody should eat rabbits! 

bunnies.png

Eating of animals is in most cultures a farmed  source of protein. You put in a food themat humans don't find easy to eat and produce protein for humans .... you also get other products...it the case of rabbits we get fur as well as meat.. Dogs in most cultures were not bred for meat and do not fall into the usual protein cycle either...dogs have many uses but not producing protein efficiently.

There is in most society a culture of eating "exotic" animals. These are not eaten as an essential source of protein but are consumed out of a misguided belief in some archaic cultural benefit  e g. medical health animism or virility etc... most of these practices are based on nothing 

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Humans have been hunting wild animals for food for hundreds of years and still do. Wild boar, deer, rabbit, pheasant, partridge etc.

A fallacous appeal to antiquity.... hunting is obsolete in most modern society...it is no longer done as an essential source of protein, it is done for pleasure

Edited by kwilco

10 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Eating of animals is in most cultures a farmed  source of protein. You put in a food themat humans don't find easy to eat and produce protein for humans .... you also get other products...it the case of rabbits we get fur as well as meat.. Dogs in most cultures were not bred for meat and do not fall into the usual protein cycle either...dogs have many uses but not producing protein efficiently.

There is in most society a culture of eating "exotic" animals. These are not eaten as an essential source of protein but are consumed out of a misguided belief in some archaic cultural benefit  e g. medical health animism or virility etc... most of these practices are based on nothing 

When I go in Thailand with my rabbits to the animal hospitals the rabbits are treated in the exotic department. Really. 

Just came back to Udon Thani after a trip to Sakon Nakhon and Nakon Phanom. There are definitely very few stray dogs to be seen there compared to Udon Thani. Maybe they were all sleeping in the shade or maybe that plastic bucket guy came out of retirement or never retired.

Been illegal for a decade here in Thailand. For once, Thailand way ahead of South Korea in making it law. Of course, doesn't mean it doesn't still happen. Those without money or food don't have many options. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I go in Thailand with my rabbits to the animal hospitals the rabbits are treated in the exotic department. Really. 

I don't see your point.

9 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Bit ridiculous ain't it, what's the difference of eating a Dog/cat, Rat ,snake ,birds and Chickens,,turkeys Cows ,Pigs,Fish,Horse,Elephant ,Tiger Lion.Monkey.

Same all ,Meat.

people think thwy are being clever by rying to imply there is no difference - really they are just too daft to understand why we eat certain animals and not others - see my earlier post.

currently the eating of "exotic species is doing untold hram to the environment and a lot is also damaging to health. - quite appart from the humane aspects - 

Dog meat! - 414424_427874910573001_1666985168_o.jpeg

Edited by kwilco

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

people think thwy are being clever by rying to imply there is no difference - really they are just too daft to understand why we eat certain animals and not others - see my earlier post.

currently the eating of "exotic species is doing untold hram to the environment and a lot is also damaging to health. - quite appart from the humane aspects - 

Dog meat! - 414424_427874910573001_1666985168_o.jpeg

OK. OK   slow down on endangered species , But there's Plenty  of dogs and Many other animals that can be eaten, we originated  from Europe and eat plenty Horse meat,Pork chicken, Bisamratte, Rabbit/Hare ,Pigeons.some countries they don't eat that the there are some religions they don't eat pork, up to them.

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

OK. OK   slow down on endangered species , But there's Plenty  of dogs and Many other animals that can be eaten, we originated  from Europe and eat plenty Horse meat,Pork chicken, Bisamratte, Rabbit/Hare ,Pigeons.some countries they don't eat that the there are some religions they don't eat pork, up to them.

largely because thy aren't hygienically or humanely frmed and they are not disease or parasite free. Have yo seen how they are prepared for transport? THeir legs are broken behind their backs - this means thy can't run off.

Another problem with dogs is that unlike herd/flock animals they aren't easy to manage or a productive source of protein. THe reasons for eating them are usually the same mumbo-jumbo that Chinese medicine is composed of.

Thais eat rats. They are field rats and are sold on the side of the road in Issan. They are fillet and cured in the sun and fried up. Rats are also available at certain markets, on the outskirts of BKK, where country people live. I was told street and sewer rats were off the menu. I’ve seen shaved and dressed dog carcasses delivered to restaurants in Kunming. I made a note to not in too much there. But 

11 hours ago, Keep Right said:

If they offered dog on a menu, I would try it. I ate dog in Vietnam and it was quite good, very tasty.

Well I saw that on a menu in Vietnam and was not tempted in the slightest.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, alanrchase said:

True - and much of that is not for food nowadays.  But as long as the animal is checked, prepared and cooked properly, they are usualy OK - although sometimes they are not.  

16 hours ago, digger70 said:

Bit ridiculous ain't it, what's the difference of eating a Dog/cat, Rat ,snake ,birds and Chickens,,turkeys Cows ,Pigs,Fish,Horse,Elephant ,Tiger Lion.Monkey.

Same all ,Meat.

You are meat as well ... what's the difference ?

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

You are meat as well ... what's the difference ?

Yey, There's some cannibalism somewhere going on Keep it going Legal or not There's plenty of people , we could do with a few Less.

• Agree 1