Korea bans killing and eating Dogs - will Thailand follow?

Well, that takes away the very last reason for me to ever revisit that backward place.

Chocolate Lab Stew kept me sane throughout my 2 year stint there, as well as their yummy BBQ kalbi ribs.

Isn't dog meat consumption/sale already illegal in LOS?

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, proton said:

Not eaten meat for over 50 years but dont see any difference between eating cows, sheep or pigs etc to eating dogs. In fact I would prefer people ate dogs, when was the last time a sheep or a pig attacked or killed anyone? Barbecued dog should be just as acceptable to a meat eater.

The 'farming' of cows, pigs, goats, checkens, etc over a very long period of time has resulted in the breeding of animals that are in a far safer condition to humans, and that are healtheir to consume. 

Dogs Cats Moinkeys etc have not been bred to be consumed and they have inherent risks in consumption by humans (rabies, parasites, etc etc).

Additionally, in most cultures Dogs and Cats have been kept as companions and therefore are not viewed as an animal to be eaten.  Likewise, monekys etc are seen as 'too close' to humans to be eaten. 

The only 'wild' animals that humans have consumed over long periods of time are fish. But if I am starving to death and all there is to eat is a cat/dog - then sorry, but well burnt dog/cat it is.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

any difference between eating cows, sheep or pigs etc to eating dogs

Firstly as humans most of th animals we eat for meat are farmed vegetarians - they are away of changing grass and other inedible crops into protiene.

Dogs have a diet that makes them inappropriate for human consumption.

But when eaten in places like Thailand and Korea, they are not properly farmed and often just caught offf the road - they don't follow hygienic food production methods and th habit of cooking them live is rather inhumane 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Firstly as humans most of th animals we eat for meat are farmed vegetarians - they are away of changing grass and other inedible crops into protiene.

Dogs have a diet that makes them inappropriate for human consumption.

But when eaten in places like Thailand and Korea, they are not properly farmed and often just caught offf the road - they don't follow hygienic food production methods and th habit of cooking them live is rather inhumane 

what they are fed on in entirely irrelevant, pigs are fed on all sorts of things and chickens. Eat more dogs!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The 'farming' of cows, pigs, goats, checkens, etc over a very long period of time has resulted in the breeding of animals that are in a far safer condition to humans, and that are healtheir to consume. 

Dogs Cats Moinkeys etc have not been bred to be consumed and they have inherent risks in consumption by humans (rabies, parasites, etc etc).

Additionally, in most cultures Dogs and Cats have been kept as companions and therefore are not viewed as an animal to be eaten.  Likewise, monekys etc are seen as 'too close' to humans to be eaten. 

The only 'wild' animals that humans have consumed over long periods of time are fish. But if I am starving to death and all there is to eat is a cat/dog - then sorry, but well burnt dog/cat it is.   

So if dogs were bred to be eaten that would be the same as cows pigs and sheep so would not be a problem? 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, proton said:

So if dogs were bred to be eaten that would be the same as cows pigs and sheep so would not be a problem? 

Certain breeds of dogs were bred for the table

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, proton said:

If that had been the case over the thousands of years humans have farmed animals, then technically - yes. But they have not been bred and farmed and consumed for many reasons - some of which I outlined.

Humans have been moving away from nomad existence to villages and farming both crops and animals for over 10,000 years - different times in different places and using diffrent animals and techniques. Nowhere that I know of has dogs and cats been 'farmed' as an animal to be eaten and consumed.  People talk about Vietnam and others, but all their ancient depictions of animals that they farmed do not include dogs or cats. 

There is another issue I did not raise - the teachings of various religions that the consumption of certain animals is not permitted/approved.  I am no expert, but it seems to me that the line has been drawn between hoofed animals that are primarily grass eaters, and paw/clawed animals that are primarily meat eaters. Hunter animals NO - Grazing animals YES. 

Horses are an interesting point - in some places they are OK, and in others they are not - but they are farmed and they eat grass - so IMO horse meat is OK to eat. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, proton said:

Prostitution and recreational cannabis as well as bribing immigration is illegal. TIT

in a roundabout way you make the point.

The laws of THailand are very inconsistantly enforced and it i=would be more effective if the genaral public start to frown upon the prctice rather than just making it illegal.

Nakhon Sakon is/was famous for dog meat - it is vb;eived to have quasi-medical properties - I think it's safe  to say that in Thailand it would take more than a law to put a stop to it.

Edited by kwilco

6 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

If that had been the case over the thousands of years humans have farmed animals, then technically - yes. But they have not been bred and farmed and consumed for many reasons - some of which I outlined.

Humans have been moving away from nomad existence to villages and farming both crops and animals for over 10,000 years - different times in different places and using diffrent animals and techniques. Nowhere that I know of has dogs and cats been 'farmed' as an animal to be eaten and consumed.  People talk about Vietnam and others, but all their ancient depictions of animals that they farmed do not include dogs or cats. 

There is another issue I did not raise - the teachings of various religions that the consumption of certain animals is not permitted/approved.  I am no expert, but it seems to me that the line has been drawn between hoofed animals that are primarily grass eaters, and paw/clawed animals that are primarily meat eaters. Hunter animals NO - Grazing animals YES. 

Horses are an interesting point - in some places they are OK, and in others they are not - but they are farmed and they eat grass - so IMO horse meat is OK to eat. 

"hunter Restaurnats are very common in Thailand and a lot of the stuff they have on the menu is highly damaging to conservation efforts in Thailand's national parks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

I wonder how this will affect Thailand? Will the Thai government take similar measures?

Thais don’t eat dogs. Unless you mean, will the Thai government take similar measures to prevent Korean expats and tourists from kidnapping soi dogs and cooking them up for meals.

• Confused 1

I think there is an argument against eating predators that concentrate toxic material from their prey, and in turn from their prey's fodder.  It's also uneconomic to eat third-hand nutrition.

There is also a strong argument against eating animals that are as hard to catch as cats.  Better to eat the dogs, who are better at catching the cats.  Though I don't know why she swallowed a fly... 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Eating dogs is usually a taboo because of the special relationship that has developed between canines and humans. It's not just about intelligence. Octopuses are very intelligent as well but we can't relate to them as buddies. OK maybe some "special" people can but it's not common. 

That said, I watched a documentary about industrial farming of dogs in Korea and they had bred dogs specifically for that purpose and they really did look at least superficially look more like another livestock animal than animals for working or pets. So I'm surprised Korea has taken this step. Maybe it's about PR as Korea is projecting now as a very advanced nation. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Eating dogs is usually a taboo because of the special relationship that has developed between canines and humans. It's not just about intelligence. Octopuses are very intelligent as well but we can't relate to them as buddies. OK maybe some "special" people can but it's not common. 

That said, I watched a documentary about industrial farming of dogs in Korea and they had bred dogs specifically for that purpose and they really did look at least superficially look more like another livestock animal than animals for working or pets. So I'm surprised Korea has taken this step. Maybe it's about PR as Korea is projecting now as a very advanced nation. 

Apparently it's become very unpopular in Korea.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, novacova said:

Thais don’t eat dogs. Unless you mean, will the Thai government take similar measures to prevent Korean expats and tourists from kidnapping soi dogs and cooking them up for meals.

apparently Sakun Nakorn is famous for it, 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The arguments from meat eaters about not eating dogs because they are predatory aninals is flawed.. 

It's not dangers to eat their meat any more than from herbivores. Pigs, for example, carry parisites in their flesh that can cause cysts in human brains and death, and chickens carry potentially deadly salmonella bacteria.  All the farmed animals carry zoonotic diseases such as bird flu, and parisotes like tapeworm, FLUKES, etc, that can infect humans. 

Also, many of the animals we ear are predators, fish eat other aquatic animals, chicken and duck eat small animals like insects and mice, and even pigs will eat meat. Many of the animal feed for cows and sheep contain animal bi products for added protein. 

We also eat lots of wild andnot farmed animals, such as marine species, game birds like pheasants and duck, and also deer and wild boar. 

Korea has a breed of dog bred specially for their meat, so they are technically a domesticated meat animal. Now this breed of dog will go extinct. 

If you have problems with eating dogs and cats you should stop eating all meat. 

Edited by jak2002003

8 hours ago, proton said:

Prostitution and recreational cannabis as well as bribing immigration is illegal. TIT

And what is that supposed to mean? 

The Point of this Thread  as stated in the OP and the article  is that :

"South Korea passes bill banning production and sale of dog meat"

and  the Thesis stated in the title 

"Korea bans killing and eating Dogs - will Thailand follow? "

This is wrong ! in fact the opposite is true since Thailand has made the act illegal 9 years ago. 

In that respect Thailand leads

Now  we want to change gears and as your post implies , "Yes but Thailand  does  not enforce it  as good as Korea " 

This is also an invalid opinion  since Korea has no record of enforcement on this issue and thus it is impossible to form such opinion.  

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

apparently Sakun Nakorn is famous for it, 

Lots of soi dogs to go, hopefully they'll still enjoy their dog soup ... :cheesy:

Actually I think, since TH cracked down years ago, in the news anyway, on the dog trade (TH-Nam), it doesn't make the soup bowls like it used to.   Large Vietnamese population  at Sakon Nakhon, and Nakhon Phanom (Uncle Ho's hang out). with SN possibly a transfer point from the "dog for plastic bucket" trucks to larger trucks, on the way to Nam, a few might have made it to the dining tables locally.

While living in Udon Thani, they stopped collecting dogs for plastic buckets/tub long ago   Also remember some mystery meat in my beef noodle soup, that I passed on, when over at that area, way way way back when it was still a thing.

If in the area, a visit to Uncle Ho's house, still there at Ban Na Chok is worth a peek.  Still has the  tree he planted :cheesy:image.png.7dea60723447ea80a2e2aa2c8768f162.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, CecilM said:

OP... what meat do you consider inappropriate that is being consumed here in Thailand?

I think thats cows and pigs, they dont go around attacking and killing people, that's the nasty dogs. Eat more dogs!

Edited by proton